Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help parsing a .txt file for import

Oct 26, 2012 Oct 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I wonder if someone could help me.  I thought I had my system all set up where I import a .txt file into the sql database but then I noticed the tables cells were not matching up as the file progressed.  It turns out that my loop is picking up the commas within string fields as delimiters. 

Does anyone know how to handle a text file that contains commas within the string fields so Cold Fusion will read them as separate values.  Right now it messing with the order.

For example.  The text file might be

"2101","CF,CI,DB,DE,DR,DS,DW,ES,FD,5P,GC,GD,GR,JA,KI,LO,MB,","MO,MS,OG,QP,RF,SC,ST,VL,WA,WB,WC,WD,WI","GUMBY'S", 56780, 23, "SUPER FUNNY"

on a single line.   I was writing something like this...

<cffile action="read" file="#bigfilename#" variable="bigfiletext">

<cfloop index="index" list="#bigfiletext#" delimiters="#chr(10)##chr(13)#">

<cfquery name="test" datasource="#dsn#">

INSERT INTO TestTable (Year, Stores, Something, Name, ID, Price, Detail)

VALUES (#listgetAt('#index#',1, ',')#, #listgetAt('#index#',2, ',')#,#listgetAt('#index#',3, ',')#,#listgetAt('#index#',4, ',')#,#listgetAt('#index#',5, ',')#,#listgetAt('#index#',6, ',')#,#listgetAt('#index#',7, ',')#)

</cfquery>

So.... How do I get it to only recoginze the comma delimiters between the strings.  Some fields are coming across in the .txt as "string" and other are number (no ""). 

Any help is appreciated.

I am on Coldfusion10

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2012 Oct 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use cfhttp instead of cffile, you can take advantage of the double quotes.  The details are in the documentation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 28, 2012 Oct 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll try this.  Will this work when the integer values have no quotes at all around them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2012 Oct 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I discovered a nice little trick for you. Just replace the double quotes with single quotes, then move the entire text in one wallop into the insert-query. Something like this:

<cffile action="read" file="#bigfilename#" variable="bigfiletext">

<cfloop index="index" list="#bigfiletext#" delimiters="#chr(10)##chr(13)#">

<!--- Replace double quotes with single quotes --->

<cfset rowData = replace(index,'"',"'", "all")>

<cfquery name="test" datasource="#dsn#">

INSERT INTO TestTable (Year, Stores, Something, Name, ID, Price, Detail)

VALUES (#rowData#)

</cfquery>

</cfloop>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll try this.  Will this work when the integer values have no quotes at all around them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Naturally. That is in fact as it should be, assuming that you insert the values in database fields of type integer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation