• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fix for WebHelp frame display in Mozilla?

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2006 Dec 12, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've checked a number of resources on this topic, including Peter Grainge's helpful Website, but I have yet to find a solution. When running our WebHelp Help project in Mozilla, the top portion of the project frame that separates the navigation and topic viewing area from the contents, index, and search tabs is hidden. Is there some type of tweak that can be made to one of the javascript files to make this portion of the frame display? P.S. The JavaScript console in Mozilla reported a number of scripting and htm page errors. The errors point to the following files: whstart.js, whskin_tbars.htm, whskin_mbrs.htm. Thank you for your input.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2006 Dec 12, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: LuckyClover
I've checked a number of resources on this topic, including Peter Grainge's helpful Website, but I have yet to find a solution. When running our WebHelp Help project in Mozilla, the top portion of the project frame that separates the navigation and topic viewing area from the contents, index, and search tabs is hidden. Is there some type of tweak that can be made to one of the javascript files to make this portion of the frame display? Thank you for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 13, 2006 Dec 13, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we heard you the first time.

I think the reason for the resounding silence is that your situation is so unusual, we can't begin to imagine just what the problem/solution might be.

Are you working the project on a network/shared drive? Don't.

Are you providing ALL the output files, or are your IT peeps messing with them (oh, we don't need THAT folder, or THOSE duplicate files, etc.).

This seems like more of a systemic problem in your edit/generate/publish model, than a minor glitch that can be fixed with tweaking. Come back with more details.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about the duplicate post--I was attempting to edit my original message, and goofed. I am 99% confident that the issue is with the Mozilla (Firefox) browser not agreeing with RoboHelp's javascript and .htm output files. To answer the question, I am providing the entire contents of the WebHelp output folder. We are providing the files with our Web-based application. When the user clicks Help from the application's menu, the user will see the WebHelp project with the navigation pane, display pane, skin, etc. The output is very nice. The missing frame is a HUGE sore spot with our overseas colleagues who see this as a significant flaw and would like to have it fixed. I really don't blame them: It doesn't look right. I am sure that one of the javascript files in the WebHelp output folder is at fault. I don't know any javascripting to be able to read the code and guess where I could make changes. I'll go back to Peter's site and see if I've missed something. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look again on Peter's site for a discussion of alternative browsers like Firefox, Netscape and Opera.

The suggested output patches will improve the frames display, but the topic's top border still won't show in the other browsers.

If that horizontal line means a great deal to you, you will have to devise some new code in the RH frame-handling routines for non-IE browsers. If you are successful, please post back here.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say,
-----------------------------------------
The missing frame is a HUGE sore spot with our overseas colleagues who see this as a significant flaw and would like to have it fixed.
-------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure I understand what's missing.
In lieu of a picture, here's a list of window and frame components I see in Firefox (Netscape is substantially the same; Opera is a little different.):

1. The Firefox browser window, with toolbars, status bar, etc. as specified in the browser's View menu.

Inside the window:

2. The main WebHelp toolbar across the width of the window.
2a. A background image or color of my choice in the toolbar.
2b. Contents, Index, Search, Glossary, "About" buttons, any that I specified in the single source layout.
2c. A custom logo/button that I built into the skin in RH.
2d. A horizontal frame rule between the main toolbar and the topic, visible in IE, is missing in Mozilla and the other browsers.

3. The Navigation frame at left.
3a. The minibar heading, in a background color or image of my choice (requires a patch in whskin_mbars.htm) and a thin bottom border.
3b. The "Hide" X icon (requires one of those patches)
3c. Triangle icons for browsing foward and back, if I built a browse sequence (requires one of those patches).
3d. The selected listing -- Contents, Index, whatever.
3e. A vertical frame rule between the left and topic frames, matching the horizontal frame rule above the topic.

4 The topic frame
4a. The topic header, if any.
4b The topic. with scrollbars if needed
4c The topic footer, if any.

So, please explain, what's missing in your WebHelp that is "a HUGE sore spot "?

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like your outline. Too bad I cannot upload a graphic example, but based on the list, the issue is with 2d. A horizontal frame rule between the main toolbar and the topic, visible in IE, is missing in Mozilla and the other browsers. This is the horizontal frame rule that spans across the Contents view (where your books and topics are listed) and the the area where you view your topics, and separates the 2b information. I used Peter's fix for 3b., the "Hide" X icon. I test the help output on my Desktop in the different browsers that I have downloaded by copying and pasting the path to my project in the address bar--everything is local (e.g., C:/Our Help/WebHelp/index.htm).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 14, 2006 Dec 14, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might not help, but sometimes stripping the folder you generate into and then generating to that empty folder seems to clear up weird stuff. Plus, it's something to try that doesn't take much time.

If that doesn't help, download a copy of Rick Stone's Skinny on Skins tutorial. He has stuff in there about removing or modifying that separator in the output file whtbar.js. Maybe you could combine his tips with some help from your IT folks to resolve this issue.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lucky,
[Flip comment suppressed]

I think this is a browser display issue.

In various places, RH has some exception code for vertical spacing in non-IE or older browsers. I haven't taken a really close look at it.

Is your main toolbar otherwise OK? Is anything getting "pushed below" the bottom of the toolbar frame? Are you having a problem making it as high as you want it (i.e., you want it 60 px tall but it keeps coming out 30)? Rick's Skinny on Skins will help you there.

Here's a workaround of a sort:

Add a frame border to the bottom of your toolbar background image. If you're using color only, make an image (extra-wide to accommodate window resizing) as a block of color with a frame border at the bottom.

This will take care of Firefox, Netscape and Opera.

IE, of course, will show a double border. If that's not acceptable, it might be easier to "comment out" the normal border than to insert one for non-IE browsers.

Good luck.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. So, to comment out the normal border, do I use the whtbar.js file? I downloaded the "skinny on skins" (lots of great tips there) and I also reviewed the description list of WebHelp output files, but because the descriptions are so high-level, I can't tell which javascript or htm file is responsible for the missing border across the topic pane. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 15, 2006 Dec 15, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I'd like to help more, but right now I'm up against some project deadlines.

Try sniffing around in the frmset.htm files, whtbar.js, projectfile.htm, whskin_tbars.htm, maybe even whtdhtml.htm.

Good luck.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp