• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how do you open a photo in Camera Raw without bridge.

New Here ,
Jul 02, 2010 Jul 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I don't use Bridge, I use Aperture 3 to organize my photos.  I use the "edit with photoshop" function to send the photos to photoshop.  When I do this though, my raw files do not automatically open with camera raw, as they would if I just opened them through photoshop itself. 

How can I open the camera raw plugin from within photoshop?  or How can I tell aperture to open the files with camera raw before opening photoshop?

Thanks,
Kevin Mastman

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 03, 2010 Jul 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use File > Open As... in Photoshop and pick Camera Raw from the drop-down choices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2012 Oct 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Macs don't do "open as" - only Windoze machines

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 09, 2012 Nov 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey sippog, instead of throwing out a childish term designed to irritate half the users of Photoshop, why not actually describe how it does work for a Mac?  Perhaps something along the lines of:

On OSX, one would do it this way:

Choose FIle - Open, then in the Format field choose Camera Raw, as shown here:

MacFormat.png

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey sippog, instead of throwing out a childish term designed to irritate half the users of Photoshop, why not actually describe how it does work for a Mac?  Perhaps something along the lines of:

Yeah, I'm probably justly rebuked but I do get pretty irritated myself by that familiar lack of awareness that there is any alternative to the Microsoft universe  (but not forever, it seems, and maybe not for that much longer).

Actually the solution you suggest, and which I have used in the past, doesn't work with my spanking new copy of PS6 which is why I was casting about for another way - in the end I had to open from Bridge.

Anyone else found PS6 a mite buggy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough.  I dug that image up from some old reference material.  I don't know how it works specifically on Ps CS6 - I apologize for that.  You haven't copied plug-ins from an older version have you?  That's been known to mess up file opening abilities.

Regarding being it buggy...  Have you updated to 13.0.1?  They did fix a fair number of things in that revision.

And by the way, I agree, Microsoft has shot itself in the foot (actually I think they've pretty much blown off everything below the waist) with Windows 8.

-Noel

P.S.,  By the way, John Joslyn has left this world, so I don't think he's going to be making any changes in the way he answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2013 Jun 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm able to open individual photos as RAW files from within Photoshop, but it won't let me open up a group of photos in RAW from Bridge.  Any ideas?

I guess the larger issue for me is that there are times when the Camera RAW toolsets and workflow really work for my photo editing tasks, where I want to quickly apply corrections to the images prior to opening them in Ps for detailed touch-up work.  It would be nice if they just offered Camera Raw as a stand-alone product, rather than this weird value-added utility (and, I've never had much use for Bridge).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2013 Jun 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The standalone product is called Lightroom, the 5.0 beta of which is available at Adobe Labs, and for sale within a few weeks or less:

http://labs.adobe.com/

For your workflow Bridge IS what allows selecting multiple images to edit in Camera Raw so it is unclear what a standalone ACR would do differently than Bridge/ACR does, now, other than work properly which Bridge may not be for you at the moment.

What happens when you select multiple images in Bridge and right-click and choose Edit in Camera Raw besides opening multiple images in ACR? Does nothing happen, or do you only see one photo, perhaps the one you right-clicked on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2014 Jan 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ummm... Noel's method works fine for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work for me. Did this change? I keep getting an error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sacb0y,

What exactly is not working for you?

Please provide any relevant info on the applications/operating system your using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This does not work for me. Did this change? I keep getting an error.

By @sacb0y

Being nearly a 13-year-old thread, please start a new one describing precisely the problem you're having, OS and versions of the Adobe products you are using. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 03, 2010 Jul 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've worked with exactly one client who uses Aperture as a front-end in place of Bridge;  I believe with this workflow Aperture is the raw converter, and the images sent to Photoshop are essentially tifs.  I.E., Aperture replaces both Bridge and ACR, and its only output for "edit with Photoshop" are rendered non-raw images.  As I remember, the only colorspace available was Adobe1998 for the tifs pushed to Photoshop.

Richard Southworth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines