• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS6 save for web some colors change?

Oct 29, 2012 Oct 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a picture with large area of color: #fffdfd, when I save it for web (jpg) this color is changed to #fefcfd (in JPG).

I just can not save as JPG with #fffdfd.

(was trying uncheck convert to sRGB, do not embed color profile - always #fffdfd changes to #fefcfd when save for web)

However, color #fefcfd when save for web , does not change.

Why some colors change and some not? Is it a bug ?

Window7 64bit, Photoshop CS6

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 30, 2012 Oct 30, 2012

Save for Web & Devices will strip some color data from the file.

Browsers aren't color managed. Most file formats on browsers assume they're sRGB. While Photoshop gives you an option of embedding sRGB to the document color space, it also strips off data that is not relevant. This is a common occurence.

PNG-24 on the other hand will give you the exact color match.

Also, Save for W&D, JPG quality matters a lot - The same color at Quality 10,20,30,40,50...100 wil give you different color reproductions

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

short answer is Edit> Convert to Profile: sRGB before you set the Hex color

Save for Web: I like to leave the Adobe SFW default behavior (Convert to sRGB and don't embed ICC profile), especially if you need to "match" a Hex in CSS HTML...

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4740901

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried what you said but no success. Source PSD background color is #fffdfd, after save for web (in JPG) always changes. I open JPG in Photoshop and the color in JPG is #fefcfd. (both files sRGB).

Could s/o reproduce this case: create document, backgroud color #fffdfd, save for web, open this jpg, check the color pls.?

I read several forums discussions about shifting colors in save for web, but any of their solutions does not work for me.

To mach the CSS background I can change  CSS color to #fefcfd, but I would like JPG keeps the same color hex as PSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if the SFW .jpg is untagged (you set the Hex while in the sRGB colorspace and stripped the profile as i said) when you open the .jpg in Photoshop you first need to Edit> Assign Profile: sRGB -- it should then sample the correct Hex

is that not happening

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay, you are right, it is not sampling correct here CS6, Mac 10.7

error.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2012 Oct 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save for Web & Devices will strip some color data from the file.

Browsers aren't color managed. Most file formats on browsers assume they're sRGB. While Photoshop gives you an option of embedding sRGB to the document color space, it also strips off data that is not relevant. This is a common occurence.

PNG-24 on the other hand will give you the exact color match.

Also, Save for W&D, JPG quality matters a lot - The same color at Quality 10,20,30,40,50...100 wil give you different color reproductions on the JPG end output.

If you're concerned that much about an offset of +/- 1 hex value to your RGB colorspace, dont save for web & devices. Do a 'Save As' instead. Then use an image editing/ resizing application such as ResizeMe to resize the quality of your document. This, in most cases will retain colorspace information but just drop the resolution and quality of the image - giving you a lesser filesize.

On a sidenote, You may also want to read this article on how to best manage color spaces: http://viget.com/inspire/the-mysterious-save-for-web-color-shift

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PNG-24 on the other hand will give you the exact color match

Sudarshan Thiagarajan, you're right!  Thank you that is very useful information here.

It is interesting that .png works and .jpg doesn't.  I recall a few times past that I saw a slight mismatch and now I can watch out for it and work around...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dont save for web & devices. Do a 'Save As' instead

just a word of caution if anyone is trying to "match" an sRGB Photoshop Hex color to CSS HTML Hex by using Photoshop Save As (for example, match a Photoshop background color to a color specified in HTML)

Photoshop File> Save As: .png seems to embed an ICC profile (regardless if the option is grayed out)

that, of course, will cause most color-managed web browsers to mismatch the Hex colors (the .png colors are converted to Monitor RGB and the HTML colors will pass straight through to the monitor unaltered)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the explanation, personally I do not see any reason why Save for WEB JPG change the color of large single color area in order to get better compression, more, some colors are changed and others are not. (as I wrote in the first post, eg: #FEFCFD is not affected by this color shift).

dont save for web & devices. Do a 'Save As' instead

above workaround still change some colors (in case of JPG). Even if I use 100% quality JPG.

As you mentioned, Saving as PNG save the colors unchanged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sudarshan Thiagarajan wrote:

Browsers aren't color managed.

Some browsers may not be color managed managed, or may be poorly managed.

Safari 5.1.7 on OS X is a browser that's correctly colour managed, as far as I know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I missed out ' ...very well'! Thanks for pointing out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines