• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS6 stops responding. Will not allow saving of a document.

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2012 Oct 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System is Windows xp pro 32 bit with 3GB ram. Cannot save or even close out photoshop. Need to end task and start over again. Sometimes documant will be recovered sometimes not.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a guess but with such minimal RAM if you have a large document it may choke the program.  Other problems if you have more than 70% of the RAM dedicated to photoshop you may be starving the computer for resources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really need to step up to a 64 OS and 8 gig of RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I generally work on relatively small images around 1500 x 1000 and I have never had this problem with previous versions of photoshop or any other program. Yeah 64bit OS and 8GB ram would be great but my antiquated system has no problems pushing higher end 3D programs like Maya etc... This feels to me like a memory leak.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try disabling autosave?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give that a go and post back if anything changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2012 Nov 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling autosave did not fix the problem unfortunatly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a seconfd computer with XP Pro and 3G ram. I wouldn't think of trying CS6 on it.

If you have CS3,4,or 5, try those programs in place of 6 and see if the problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I have had no issues with any version of photoshop in the past. Even being an older computer, It's the only problem I have with CS6. Everything else is just fine. I can do anything I need in Photoshop but after an hour or so, it stops responding. This old computer still has plenty of power to run high end 3D applications without fail. Odd that it has this issue with a single program.

Dell Precision 650 xeon 2 x 3.06

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would have a good, long look at Event Viewer, at about the time that PS hangs. Any warning, or error messages about that time? If so, explore any furnished links completely, to see if you can find any clues.

Also, what Programs and Processes do you have loading, at bootup? Many are likely unnecessary, and can sap limited resources. Though written for Adobe Premiere, the video-editing program, there might be some useful tips in this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2910195#2910195

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2012 Nov 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I scoured through the event viewer and have seen nothing in terms of error messages or warnings. System overall is quite stable which is why I have been slow to upgrade OS's. With regard to programs, processes and services, I have reexamined this list to ensure nothing was shut off inadvertently. Over the years I have tuned this OS to run quite efficiently eliminating unneeded resource hogs. Thank you so much for providing ideas and suggestions.

What I find quite odd is that when the program becomes unresponsive or maybe unstable is more accurate, some filters still function while others do not. Usually it's the larger filters like liquify and others that refuse to show up when called. It’s also that time when the program refuses to save, save as etc. but I can still do small tasks within the program like paint, add layer etc. There seems to be adequate resources available yet if I either try to save through the menu or through key stroke nothing happens. You can’t even close a document by X’ing out. It just ignores the request.

Thankfully, I can work around the issue by saving frequently and closing and restarting. But this is quite annoying.

Thank you to all for offering tips and suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather than rebooting PS you might try using Edit/purge to clean out RAM.

Here is a document on optimizing performance of PS which might be of some help.      http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-performance-photoshop-cs4-cs5.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very interesting read. I'll try purging and optimizing to see where that leads. I've never done that in the past, perhaps it's time I did. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2012 Nov 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I ran many tests that include purging > all. With the task manager open there is no reduction in the page file usage. The page file continues to grow even if I flatten a 100 layer image and purge > all. Purge doesn't appear to do anything but clear the history and clipboard of its data without any improvement to memory. I can start off with a 66MB PSD document with 100 layers and total page file will be 1.37GB. It will stay around that amount and grow very slowly by adding a few layers or so to 1.39GB this feels normal to me. But if I use certain filters including liquify, the page file grows substantially even if I flatten and purge > all. If I use revert it will drive up the page file to well over 2.4GB, purge > all does not effect page file at all. It's at that range when Photoshop becomes unstable. CS6 Photoshop will not release resources unless it's "End task" and reopened.

Obviously with 3GB ram on a 32 bit system when Photoshop and combined system requirements reaches the 2.5GB+ range, instability should be expected. The question is... Why is Photoshop not releasing memory even if the document has been closed and only the program remains open? Why does revert swell the page file so dramatically? I'm looking at the task manager as I type this and it's reading 2.85GB with Photoshop open but no document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 04, 2012 Nov 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

>> Why is Photoshop not releasing memory even if the document has been closed and only the program remains open?

Because Photoshop is allocating memory up to the limit you set in preferences, and reusing that memory.  That is normal behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines