• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No .rhc file to call in WebHelp

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2006 Dec 12, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In WebHelp Pro we called the .rhc file but now that we're using WebHelp how do we "call" for context sensitivity?
BACKGROUND: I built a OLH system using WebHelp PRO consisting of 1 master project and 15 sub-projects. I placed only a Welcome topic and global links out to the other topics -- then a link back into the master.....Looked and worked great, HOWEVER, the Glossary, Index and Search capability was not global.... You had to enter a specific project to only view it's Index, etc.

So, I phoned customer support. They said I'd need to change everything (single source layouts) to WebHelp instead of Webhelp Pro, then, merge everything together.
I didn't realize you could'nt merge projects if they were in PRO format.

I rebuilt the structure by removing all the links and merging all the projects into one.
Now, it looks and works great with full global search, glossary, index capability -- however, my programmer is lost because there's no longer .rhc files for him to "call"......to gain context sensivity.....

Usually, we'd go to the SSL!>WebHelp PRO folder to locate it.....
Now, when we go to the SSL! > WebHelp folder it's totally empty.

Help! what do we do at this point to call a topic?
When the user clicks on a specified icon for Workflow diagrams, it should call the Workflow topic.

Customer support is closed, I hope you can help -- this has to pass Quality Assurance tomorrow morning! Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris and welcome to our community

Interesting that support would advise that WebHelp Pro wasn't capable of merging. As I understand it, this is the strong point of WebHelp Pro. It's all merged at the server.

You said: You had to enter a specific project to only view it's Index and this makes me think that you actually were wanting to view only the index for a specific project. This seems to contradict what WebHelp Pro is all about. It should present you with a single index of all terms for all projects. However, I'm thinking you may need to ensure that at least a single term is defined in your master. Maybe you haven't done that? I also believe that in the Configuration Manager for the RoboEngine, you are able to turn this automatic merging off and on.

Perhaps the following links will help:
John Daigle's Developer Center article
Peter Grainge's site
My Site

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick for the expeditious reply.
The background info I shared was stating Try#1 how WHEN I set things up with LINKS ONLY -- it left me in a bad position to where I could NOT use Search throughout all......and was forced to search or use index within one project at a time...(as you stated, THIS IS NO GOOD).....which is why I phoned support to find out to correct this problem and moved on with Try #2.....(to use WebHelp and merge all together).

Once I changed to WebHelp and merged it all together -- I am (now) able to search through out ALL project contents and it works perfectly. 8-)

The only problem I'm left with is --- there's no .rhc. file within any of the projects to be able to call them and provide context sensitivity to the user.

You mentioned RoboEngine: I did rec'v a disk to load that -- but our team was in a hurry and none of use knew anything about it -- so, we elected not to use it. It sounded like it was going to take a lot of "set up" to connect it with our system.
Perhaps this is why Support told me yesterday that I could not use WebHelp PRO AND merge all my projects together --- unless I were to change everything to WebHelp only.

Do you know anything about the rhc file? and how I can "call" a topic using WebHelp? Are you saying there's no way to "call" a topic if you use Webhelp?

If you are saying I should not be using WebHelp, then,
Can you elaborate on how the RoboEngine is supposed to help me...and if it's an easy "over-night" option for me to go to at this point -- to get my project ready for tomorrow's Q/A review.....

Currently, I have a MASTER folder sitting on a web server. The MASTER folder holds 16 project folders. 1 is the project's master and the other 15 are the sub-projects.
I develop my help on my hard drive then copy/paste the MASTER folder over to the server and replace the outdated content. Hope that helps give you an idea of what I'm facing.....and how things are set up....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris

Okay, if you never installed RoboEngine, then it would make perfect sense that support said to go the WebHelp route as opposed to WebHelp Pro. WebHelp Pro output is only used with RoboEngine. I have attempted to explain this at this link.

Sorry, but I'm unfamiiar with a "RHC" file, what it would do or how it would be used. I never claim to know it all, but I've never heard of it. I did a brief search of the help file that ships with RoboHelp and am not finding any references to it.

I attempted to provide links in my prior post that explain or try to help explain the process as I know it to be. I do notice that you mentioned your !SSL!/WebHelp folder is empty? Have you generated WebHelp yet? If not, this would explain why. If you have, you need to examine the settngs for your WebHelp layout in order to see where your files are ending up.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've definitely re-generated every project......and found that the distinct difference between using WebHelp Pro and WebHelp is:

WebHelp Pro generates a full folder of files (the key one being the .rhc.htm file). SSL! WebHelp_Pro >
WebHelp........does not generate any files.....leaving the SSL! > WebHelp folder empty. 8-(

When I used WebHelp Pro in (Try #1).... we could find the .rhc file here: (and would use a link like this to "call" the specific project.....)

http://pimsdev-sbc-174.web.boeing.com/web/MASTER/CALENDAR//!SSL!/WebHelp_Pro/CALENDAR_rhc.htm

There's GOT to be a way to "call" projects using WebHelp...............
I can't imagine it being useful to anyone if it did not have that capability..............
If you or anyone knows how --- please advise ASAP............Thanks so much for your feedback...and links.....I'll keep them for future refc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Chris

Okay, baby steps...

If you expand your Single Source Layouts pseudo folder inside the RoboHelp HTML application, what do you see in the field at the top of the resulting dialog? This field normally lists the WebHelp start page and the path to where it will be found.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, in looking at the link you provided, it seems to suggest that you may be generating your files to a network location! I'm hoping not...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey again

In thinking about your situation, it occurs to me that perhaps you haven't changed your default or primary layout to WebHelp. You may simply need to right click the layout and choose "Set as Primary Layout". My thought here is that if you have simply been clicking the Quick Generate icon with your primary layout set to WebHelp Pro, this would explain why you aren't seeing anything inside the WebHelp folder.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first post indicated:
So, I phoned customer support. They said I'd need to change everything (single source layouts) to WebHelp instead of Webhelp Pro, then, merge everything together.

I specifically went to every single project at that time and performed the "right click" (while on the SS WebHelp) and indeed already changed every project to use WebHelp AS PRIMARY.......whereas, formerly in (Try#1) I had intentionally had everything set to Pro and when set to "PRO" -- those files were being generated.

So, we're still at square one. WebHelp has no .rhc files....even though the Single Source Primary Layout (is) set to Webhelp (AND) has been generated both at the sub-topic level (and) at the master topic level. (neither generation - generates the .rhc)
(the .rhc is what is used to call with) because (that) file loads the full frameset; instead of just a single page/topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Sorry, I really do want to help, but it seems you are simply frustrated.

If you double click each of the layouts, you see properties associated with the layout. Earlier you stated that you found no files in the !SSL!/WebHelp folder. Assuming the generation process was successful, the output files ended up somewhere. I did a quick review of some of my WebHelp output files and I do see a ProjectName_rhc.htm file among the mix. However, I found nothing inside any help topic that outlined how this file is used or comes into play. Is it possible you are looking for a file bearing a .rhc extension as opposed to your project name being part of the mix and the file ending with a .htm extension?

I'm not sure what more I can do or say. Perhaps someone else is around and will be willing to step in and try to help. There are a few different ways to display context sensitive topics with the full frameset in view. The method you or your developers are using is new to me and I'm not sure where it was recommended.

Sorry I was unable to help here. Hopefully someone else knows the answer for you, I really do. Way beyond bedtime in my part of the world.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Captiv8r
Hi again

Sorry, I really do want to help, but it seems you are simply frustrated.

If you double click each of the layouts, you see properties associated with the layout. Earlier you stated that you found no files in the !SSL!/WebHelp folder. Assuming the generation process was successful, the output files ended up somewhere. I did a quick review of some of my WebHelp output files and I do see a ProjectName_rhc.htm file among the mix. However, I found nothing inside any help topic that outlined how this file is used or comes into play. Is it possible you are looking for a file bearing a .rhc extension as opposed to your project name being part of the mix and the file ending with a .htm extension?

I'm not sure what more I can do or say. Perhaps someone else is around and will be willing to step in and try to help. There are a few different ways to display context sensitive topics with the full frameset in view. The method you or your developers are using is new to me and I'm not sure where it was recommended.

Sorry I was unable to help here. Hopefully someone else knows the answer for you, I really do. Way beyond bedtime in my part of the world.

Cheers... Rick

Do you have detailed HOW TO STEPS on those other ways we could achieve "calling up the full frameset"?
(especially while using WEBHELP) since I have everything changed over to it now..........
Much of the help out there doesnt provide step-by-step details on how to accomplish more advanced tasks....
Perhaps one of your links might provide those detailed steps and alternatives to the method my programmer has elected to use.

HERE's THE SCENARIO: (why I need the .rhc.htm file for each project)
Pretend you are looking at a screen and there's a "fish" icon.
When the user clicks on the "fish" icon it goes and brings up the online help topic SPECIFIC to THAT icon....
My programmer was taking any special icons like that and embedding the .rhc.htm link behind it....to make that ICON context sensitive.

THIS is one of the links we were using (when everything was set to SS: Webhelp Pro) -- and it worked perfectly.
http://pimsdev-sbc-174.web.boeing.com/web/MASTER/CALENDAR/CALENDAR/!SSL!/WebHelp_Pro/CALENDAR_rhc.ht...

With the SS changed to just "Webhelp" --- I'm not finding the .rhc.htm files
but as of a few seconds ago --- I was able to locate some with just the ".rhc"

I REALLY appreciate your input!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In response to your baby steps post... (I'm just now seeing it) -- sorry.....

When I go to the SS layout, Properties of one of my sub-projects called "CALENDAR" (this is what it says):
C:\Documents and Settings\attanasic\Desktop\MASTER\PIMS\!SSL!\WebHelp\mergedProjects\CALENDAR\CALENDAR.htm

When I go to the SS layout, Properties of the Master project it says:
C:\Documents and Settings\attanasic\Desktop\MASTER\PIMS\!SSL!\WebHelp\PIMS_Master.htm

The way the support person taught me was to LEAVE the master project generating to it's own default folder.... (which is the SSL!>WebHelp folder......
but when you go to the sub-projects, you must change the generation location and direct it back INTO the master project's "mergedProjects" folder...
Once you are in there....you'll see a folder already generated and ready to hold your sub-project's output. (in this case, within the "mergedProjects folder" was an automatically generated 'CALENDAR' folder....so, to be successful in your merge, you double click on the Calendar folder and direct the path into there......

After doing so, you generate the sub-project then close.....then, go back and generate your master project (and be sure not to checkmark the 'republish all' button when re-generating your master to prevent unwanted overwrites of your master's sub-projects. (this is the final stage of merging) and it all works beautifully......

Specific Steps to Merge Projects Together (in order):
1) create a master project - set SS layout to WebHelp
2) create 2 sub-projects -(we'll call them: "Calendar" and "Data" and set each to SS: WebHelp
3) go back to master's TOC and add "New Merged Project" (looks like a "G" icon)
4) go to SS layout, right click, generate, then generate (when you do this, it creates the sub-folder within the mergedFolder area --- ready and waiting for you output to be pushed into here)
5) go back to you sub-projects, click on the SS layout, Generate, change path (navigating into the MASTER project > SSL > WEBHELP > MergedFolders > Calendar.....(repeat the same step for the Data project).....
Now, that you've got the sub-projects dropping into the master -- you need to do one final generate on the master to update what has been pushed into it's mergedFolders area..... and you're done.
All looks and works beautifully.....all are merged together and share one Glossary, one Index, etc.

Now, if you go to file explorer and navigate to the WebHelp folder for Calendar, or Data, or any other sub-project it is empty because it's no longer generating into that area.

WALLAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just figured it out! --- well, PART OF THE PROBLEM.....
The key was "it's no longer generating to THAT area" --- now, I'll need to tell my programer to dig down into the MASTER PROJECT'S FOLDER, MergedProjects folder, and sub-folder (ie: Calendar)

Problem 1 (missing .rhc files)
Problem 2 (the full file name path that was used and was visible in WebHelp Pro was: .rhc.htm)
like this: .........web/MASTER/CALENDAR/CALENDAR/!SSL!/WebHelp_Pro/CALENDAR_rhc.htm

I found .rhc files in the MergedProjects folders --- but none have the .htm at the end -- so, I'm not sure that they'll work.
Will have to get the programmer to try calling it on his side I guess....
I guess I'm stuck for tonight --- until he confirms whether or not it will work without the .htm extension.
Thanks for your help!
I'll get back with you (everyone) on the outcome.....
If you think of anything else -- feel free to post! 8-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not going to attempt to work my way through this thread which appeared overnight! From what I have gleaned you are doing something the way someone else set it up and perhaps not fully understanding its intricacies?

If you want to see how I merge webhelp and how that can be called, then take a look at the topics on my site about merged webhelp and calling webhelp. There's a demo you can work through. Maybe getting your mind around that will help you figure what is happening with your projects.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 13, 2006 Dec 13, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
What are your developers writing the application in? Have you checked the RH help for tips on calling the help?

Here's the model we follow (xyz would be your product acronym):

SOURCE FILES (edit on local machine)
C:\xyzmerge
C:\xyzmerge\xyzportal (master project with redirect to xyz_start child project)
C:\xyzmerge\projects\xyz_start (opening page(s) child project)
C:\xyzmerge\projects\[all child projects]

OUTPUT FILES (generate to local machine, publish to server [Window 4 of Generate Wizard])
C:\xyzgenerate
C:\xyzgenerate\index.htm (start page selected in Window 1 of Generate Wizard)
C:\xyzgenerate\mergedProjects\xyz_start (all output files with childname_start.htm as start page)
C:\xyzgenerate\mergedProjects\[all child projects] (all output files with childname_start.htm as start page)

(Note that we don't generate to the default !SSL!/Webhelp folders. We backup our source by copying to the server, so there's no point in also copying the output files, too - storage and bandwidth issues, you know.)

When your developers call the help, they'll either call index.htm for the generic help call (in whatever folder it will appear as part of the application), and each form or control will be calling its mapped topic through index.htm. We provide a "form_path.txt" file in the same root folder that maps the project folders, with entries such as:

AcctMainFrm, mergedProjects\xyz_windows

(The topic related to that form assumes its name [AcctMainFrm.htm])

Read Peter's excellent merged project tutorial and maintain a good structure; you'll be OK.

Above all, just dump everything that's gone before in this project; start fresh!

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp