33 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2018 1:01 AM by kashifm91847290

Unpack a ZXP file

ian barber Level 1

I have a zxp file but it will not load into CS6 13.01. The extension manager goes through the mtions but it is simply not unpacking itself into the applications/adobe photoshop cs6/plugins/panels folders.

I am under the impression that this is a known issue after upgrading to 13.01.

Is is possible to unpack a ZXP file so I can manually copy the files into the Panels Folder ?

• 1. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
          Yanwen Ju Level 2

You can send you zxp to yju@adobe.com. I can help you solve the compatibility issue.

• 2. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
            john.l.stevenson Level 1

hi,

I have the same issue.

Extension Manager reports that my Extension itself is installed, but it is not located at the ../Plug-ins/Panels folder (where other Panels which I have installed directly from the Exchange are located). So resources my Panel needs to use are not found. A simple manual installation works OK.

I am using Configurator 3.1.1 - PS CS6 fully up-to-date for Windows.

Is there a fix?

thanks

John Stevenson

• 3. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
              Yanwen Ju Level 2

If you have the original gpc file and associated .assets folder, and with Configurator 3.1.1 installed, you can open the gpc file with Configurator 3.1.1 and export it again as CS Extension, and to install with Extension Manager again by overwriting the installed extension.

• 4. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                john.l.stevenson Level 1

hi,

As I wrote, I have used Configurator 3.1.1. And the manual installation from what is called "Exporting a panel for a direct install" in the Configurator User Guide is NOT a problem. The problem is with installing a panel via Extension Manager from what is exported as a ZXP package and then as a CS Extension. Where is the installation that Extension Manager performs? The User Guide states: "You can test the package by opening the target application and installing the Panel with Extension Manager." The fact that this doesn't work raised the original question in this thread (12 September) ....

John

• 5. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                  Yanwen Ju Level 2

Please refer to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1016919

How do you find resources from your panel. If you access the resources via ExtendScript,  new Folder(assetsPath) will point to the assets folder of your panel. If you access the resources via absolute path,

Please find the "assets" folder at:

Mac: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/CS6ServiceManager/extensions/

Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\CS6ServiceManager\extensions

• 6. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                    john.l.stevenson Level 1

hi again,

You are correct - the installation with Windows with Extension Manager has put my beta files at: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\CS6ServiceManager\extensions. That location is not mentioned at all within the Configurator User Guide.

I am NOT using the ESTK for my Extensions. So now, how should the author of an Extension write a relative path, good for the assets for both Windows and Mac, and test it, prior to submitting the Extension to Adobe for approval?

thanks

John

• 7. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                      Yanwen Ju Level 2

What attribute field will be filled with this relative path?

• 8. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                        john.l.stevenson Level 1

hi,

Below is the only script my Extension contains (it is the Open Script component I use in Configurator 3.1.1).

/* will unload any previous installation of the Actions Set */

unLoadActionSet("MyExtension");

function unLoadActionSet(actionSet){

var desc = new ActionDescriptor();

var ref = new ActionReference();

ref.putName( charIDToTypeID( "ASet" ), decodeURI(actionSet));

desc.putReference( charIDToTypeID( "null" ), ref );

try{

executeAction( charIDToTypeID( "Dlt " ), desc, DialogModes.NO );

}catch(e){}

};

/* correctly loads or reloads the Actions file in the local option via Export Panel */

/* app.load(new File(" ../../Plug-ins/Panels/MyPanel/content/MyPanel.assets/MyExtension.atn")); */

/* needs to load or reload the Actions file in the ZXP output option via Export Panel As CS Extension */

app.load(new File(" ../../Common Files/Adobe/CS6ServiceManager/extensions/MyPanel/content/Configurator-Panel.assets/MyExte nsion.atn"));

I simply need to know how to correct (or replace?) the last line so as to have this Extension work correctly from a properly installed ZXP file.

thanks,

John

• 9. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                          Yanwen Ju Level 2

As I said before, you can refer to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1016919

A global variable "assetsPath" is a string which points to the assets folder, and you need not to consider it is " ../../Plug-ins/Panels/MyPanel/content/MyPanel.assets/" or " ../../Common Files/Adobe/CS6ServiceManager/extensions/MyPanel/content/Configurator -Panel.assets/".

You can try

app.load(new File(assetsPath + "/MyExtension.atn"));

• 10. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                            john.l.stevenson Level 1

Thanks. I will try that. And post the result.

I did read through the earlier thread, several times - it was difficult for me to follow.

I think you (that is Adobe) will have to come to terms with the fact that there are lots of CS users out here who have long-time experience with the applications - especially Photoshop - but have no upfront knowledge of scripting. Their ambition will now be to share some of the features, innovations and workflows they have developed, with other users, via Configurator and Extensions and the new Exchange. So, it would be good if someone on your side could produce a set of useful, sample, and representative scripts for Configurator. (There was one opening for this in the recently published book "Power, Speed and Automation with Adobe Photoshop", by Geoff Scott and Jeff Tranberry. But it seems that there are no downloadable scripts made available via that effort at all - which is a shame IMHO.)

best,

John

• 11. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                              Yanwen Ju Level 2

Thank you for your suggestion, John. We will consider this in next version.

• 12. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                                Jonathan Ferman Adobe Employee

Hi John

I like your idea and it's actually really easy to do. Just package up any scripts say for Photoshop with Adobe Exchnage Packager and submit them to Exchnage as a free or paid product. Details on Packager are here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/cssdk/2012/11/adobe-exchange-packager-1-5-released-more-flexiblefil e-compatible.html

Hope that helps. Certainly we can get people submitting to exchange more regularly than we can do updates to Configurator.

Jonathan

• 13. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                                  john.l.stevenson Level 1

hi Yanwen and Jonathan,

This is good news. Thanks. I'm sure that a lot of potential authors will find that helpful. There are some resources now being made available this way (as MXP packages) from the scripting community: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ps-scripts/files/ContactSheetX/v2.0_betas/

best,

John

• 14. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                                    john.l.stevenson Level 1

Yanwen Ju wrote:

You can try

app.load(new File(assetsPath + "/MyExtension.atn"));

That works just fine. Thank-you.

• 15. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                                      ponderconsulting Level 1

Can you do it for me also? This is extremely frustrating.

• 16. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                                        MerylDee3 Level 1

I'm having the same issue that was mention above.  But my Adobe Suite is CC.  There's three ZXP file or rather plug-ins I would really like to use with my software.  If I send you the ZXP or links in the Adobe resources; could you please see if there's a way for me to utilize these plugins?  Thanking you in advace.  -Darius

• 17. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                                          cagetix Level 1

I just paid and downloaded a plugin today that is doing similar things... would like to just unpack and manually place in the proper folder.

• 18. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                                            kamilk39193549 Level 1

Same here, paid and downloaded a plugin today that is doing similar things... would like to just unpack and manually place in the proper folder.

• 19. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                                              wilson199355 Level 1

7zip, the free unzip application, will unpack the .zxp files. I just do not know where to place them after they are unpacked. Anyone know exactly where they go in Photoshop CS6?

Do they go to: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Plugins\Panels ?

The directions say that I should just double click on the zxp file and follow the instructions but that does not work at least not on my Windows 8.1 Laptop.

Does anyone know where to place the files after I unpack them?

Thank you in advance.

• 20. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                                                Ten A Adobe Community Professional

CS6 products can read below directories:

“C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\CS6ServiceManager\extensions”

“C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CS6ServiceManager\extensions”

However, You have to set "Player Debug Mode" to install extensions manually.

Ten

• 21. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                                                  jack madsen 3 Level 1

I tried to unpack with 7zip and it says it can not read the .ZXP file.

let me know if there is something I need to set so that 7zip or any other program will unpack this frustrating Adobe action file.

• 22. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                                                    ponderconsulting Level 1

I couldn't get it to work either. I ended up sending to asupport@adobe.com and they unpacked it for me.

• 23. Re: Unpack a ZXP file

Please note that a .zxp file is not the same as a .zip file, it needs Adobe Extension Manager or a utility that understands zxp files in order to unpack the files that are embedded. Which Extension Manager version you need will depend on what version of Creative Suite or Creative Cloud you have. You can download Adobe Extension Manager for free if you do not already have it, here: Adobe - Exchange : Download the Adobe Extension Manager

• 24. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                                                        jack madsen 3 Level 1

Yes I have done all the right things Adobe wants for my creative cloud but the Adobe extension manager will not install correctly. I think I already said all this and feel like I'm wasting time for something that should be simple. The most simple would be an unpacking program with a text file telling where everything goes. I hate this closed install system with no manual install. One of the reason I dislike apple products.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

• 25. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                                                          george.leeson12 Level 1

I use 7zip,right click the file, open archive then extract. This worked for me

• 26. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                                                            ryant61967691 Level 1

I had difficulties with 7zip. Here are my steps for Windows 8 and OS X to install a ZXP manually.

Windows 8:

Using the command prompt, navigate to the .zxp and copy it as a .zip

unzip the new .zip into this directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\CEP\extensions\<create a new folder here>

OS X Yosemite:

Open the apple store, search for and install, "The Unarchiver"

Open the .zxp with The Unarchiver and unpack it to this directory: /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/CEP/extensions/<create a new folder here>

This was with Creative Cloud/Adobe 2015 applications.

• 27. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                                                              Mikey Mic Level 1

There's a cool automated tool for installing .zxp/.mxp extensions: http://install.anastasiy.com

It works for Anastasiy's MagicPicker (the color wheel) and other plugins but it also works for any 3rd party plugins (I tried SpecKing for example, it worked). Works on Win and Mac (I tried both as I have both). No need to unpack anything, just one click of a button (OK, two clicks).

• 28. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                                                                m23taheri Level 1

is there another way to extract ZXP file to mulib file? i use these addons for adobe muse.

• 29. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                                                                  renea75257394 Level 1

This is VERY unprofessional ... Sorry to say!! But paying for some filters and then can't use it!! Thats so crappy!!! Should be more professional from a big company as Adobe!!! This is 2016!!

• 30. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                                                                    Hardcrab Level 1

I agree completely.   Recently purchased preset for Lightroom 5.7 and have spent days on end trying to convert ZXP  file for use.  What a nightmare after spending close to $40.00 for new preset.

• 31. Re: Unpack a ZXP file

Hi everyone,

My guess and it's just a guess but you may not have the Creative Cloud desktop application installed, this would be the case if you have a product like Lightroom that you did not get as part of Creative Cloud, for example you have a standalone or boxed version of Lightroom 6 or earlier. If this is the case and you just want to quickly want to take the zxp and get it installed I would try this free app: ZXPInstaller

Alternatively install the Creative Cloud desktop app and it will install and sync the files in the zxp to any computers you sign into, it will automatically apply updates and so on, so it is a better solution overall. You can get it for free here: Download

Please also note that once the zxp is uncompressed and installed it may put the files in your Downloads folder or somewhere else, it varies based on the product and the producer and what they want to achieve. In the Add-ons product pages you will see a section called "Where to find it" that will tell you where your product is installed to and if applicable any further steps.

I'm sorry you have had a frustrating time dealing with the zxp files but I hope the above helps.

Jonathan

• 32. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                                                                        Hardcrab Level 1

Hi Jonathan,   I purchased my Lightroom 5.7 and Photoshop CS6 via a boxed CD with a one year Creative Cloud application.   I have downloaded 7Zip package, CC Desktop, and as per your very kind assistance, the Adobe ZXPinstaller software.   I purchase a new preset, unzip it to "my Documents" and move the extracted file to ZXPinstaller and the installer says the file has been "installed" but the file is not sent or recorded to my Lightroom Presets.   Thank you for your suggestions.

Wayne

• 33. Re: Unpack a ZXP file
                                                                          kashifm91847290 Level 1

suppose you have a file named

something.zxp

rename it to

something.zip

and extract all from winrar