anyone knows why?

it doesn't happen on acrobat 9

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2012 Oct 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The message is self-explanatory. A file with a digital signature isn't editable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2012 Oct 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is no digital signature on this file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maybe an (invisible) author certification ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how can i check this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2012 Nov 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi shay_df,

With the file open you need to open (aka expand) the Signature Navigation panel on the left side of Acrobat. Clcik on this pen icon:

A_NavBarSign_Lg_N.png

If there is no writing in the panel at all (just one big blank white slate) then the next thing to look for is to see if the file was Reader Enabled (what Dave mentioned below). To check if the file has been Reader Enabled:

• Select the File > Properties menu item
  • Select the Security tab on the Document Properties dialog
  • Look for the following text at the bottom of the dialog:

"This document restricts some Acrobat features to allow for extended features in Adobe Reader. To create a copy of the document that is not restricted (and has no extended features in Adobe Reader), choose File > Save a Copy."

If the test is there then the file has been Reader Enabled. If not then it has not.

If none of these procedures point to an existing digital signature then let me know and we can probe deeper.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2012 Nov 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i've checked this. the file has reader enabled, but that's the problem. i can't remove these rights enabled, i've saved a copy - it didnt help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say you've saved a copy but you haven't confirmed that you opened the copy.

It must go like this:

open file A with reader enabling

save a copy as file B

close file A (which was not changed, and is still reader enabled)

open file B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is what i do:

1. i'm opening the file (the extended one)

2.i'm saving a copy (with a different name)

3.i get this note:

note2.jpg

4. i click ok

5.i close the extended file

6. i try to open the new file - it always says that:

"the file is in use. enter a new name or close the file thats open in another program"

7.i completely close the Acrobat Pro

8. i open the new file again

9. it asks me for the password

10. i type the password

11.the new file is opened

But...it still a reader extended file ( i see that on file/properties/security - the messages at the bottom of the dialog, as written up on Steven Madwin note

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the File > Save a Copy menu item? You must use that item and you will be shown a message about removing the extended rights. Just using Save As won't do a thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i know that. thats what i'm doing. it doesn't help. i suggest u try it on acrobat 11, and let me know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you are doing that? You included a screen shot, but nothing of the message that is about removing the extended rights...

It's probably been asked already, but can you share this file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how can i attach a file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is  a file

press here

the password is 111111

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks for the file. You still didn't confirm whether you get the message about removing extended rights, and I guess you didn't.

I can reproduce this. The procedure described works fine in Acrobat X. But in Acrobat XI there is the additional message in your post #11.

What I suspect is happening is that the file is first saved identically, then it tries to take off the Reader enabling. This fails, and it gives up. But the copy is already saved; however, it is not modified. (Also, on my system, the file is still considered by Acrobat XI to be open, and cannot be re-opened without quitting).

I do not know whether this is a general failure in Acrobat XI or something specific to your file.

So at this point I'd give the advice: recreate the file if you don't have access to Acrobat X. (Perhaps you can copy/paste chunks of it to save time). I always advise keeping the ORIGINAL files (without password, signature, enabling or certification), because it has always been the case that some combinations of these can't be removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd also like to add a note pointing out apparent similarities to this post: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4823798#4823798

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the advice.

did u try to create a new file on acrobatXI with a password, and remove the pass after creating it? like on my case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wasn't clear from your previous posts that the file had a Document Open password as opposed to a Permissions password (restricting editing etc.).

The combination of Reader extensions and a DocOpen password is a one-way street in Acrobat XI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi shay_df,

Yes, the file is Reader enabled, and yes you have to create an unsigned copy of the file before you can remove the Password Security.

• Open 1244.pdf
  • Type in the Document Open password (111111) and then click the OK button
  • Select the File > Save a Copy menu item
  • Click the Save a Copy button on the conformation dialog
  • Enter 1244_noUR.pdf as the File Name on the Save a Copy dialog, and then click the Save button
  • Select the File > Open menu item
  • Navigate to, and then select the local copy of 1244_noUR.pdf, and then click the Open button
  • Select the File > Properties (or File > Document Properties in an older version of Acrobat) menu item
  • Select the Security tab on the Document Properties dialog
  • Select No Security from the Security Method drop-down list
  • Click the OK button on the conformation dialog
  • Select the File > Save menu item

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That workflow was possible in AX, but changes to the RE signing module in AXI have blocked it at step 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave & shay_df,

Yes, it is a bug in version 11. And, no I don't have a date as to when it will be fixed.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I'd love to find out how you remove the passwords at all... My paystubs come passworded but the company changes the password every month (so I have to remember or note which pw goes with which stub, because the ones that already came I cannot change!) It's unbelievably frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@WeyrCat - if you know the password, in Acrobat you can use Tools > Protection > Encrypt > Remove Security.

@shay_df - I assume you previously Reader-extended the document, in which case Acrobat has signed the file. You cannot remove the underlying password security  until you de-extend the rights using File > Save a Copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i did that. i've saved a copy. and still got these messages , can it be a bug on this version(11)?. try this and please let me know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you open the copy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines