Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cooperative work

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2006 Dec 13, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

I've installed the RoboHelp X5 and I was trying to figure out a way of working simultaneously with other colleagues in the same project. What I mean is that me, as well as my colleagues, could read/write the same project simultaneously thus working faster but keeping all our changes, instead of waiting for one to release the file in order to work on it.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2006 Dec 13, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andy and welcome to our community

Possible? Sure!
Advisable? NO!!!!

Really, you need to be using a source control system to manage this. Even with a source control system in place you would never be able to truly simultaneously edit content. Files are typically exclusively locked until the other person is finished and checks them back in. Just like a library, you cannot have two users check out the same physical book.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2006 Dec 14, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick.

I understand that by using the source control system we can actually do some work "simultaneously". When I mentioned working in the same project with other colleagues I was talking about having one project opened and several colleagues working on different topics and not working on the same topic at the same time. So can you please be so kind as to give me some pointers on how to work with the source control for X5?

Thank you so much

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2006 Dec 14, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Andy

Unfortunately I'm about to begin a class. Unless others offer input here, your best bet would be to crack open the help system that ships with X5 and begin reading the topics on source control. If you have access to something like Microsoft Visual Source Safe, I'd highly recommend it over using what ships with X5. I'm not saying it's bad, but we do see more problems reported here than solutions.

Keep in mind that you will need to organize your project into folders. I do not believe you can have two folks editing different files in the same folder.

Cheers and happy sourcing! Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp