Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to import audio of any kind into Flash CS6 Pro

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2012 Nov 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've recorded voice over using Audition and am attempting to import the audio files into Flash CS6 - the problem is I'm given the error "One or more files were not imported because there was a problem reading them".

I have tried a multitude of different settings when saving out of Audition, including alternate file types, all with the same result.  To test further, I've tried past audio recordings used in other flash videos and I'm getting the same message.  Could someone post the ideal settings so I can test that vs having to randomly try every setting there is?  I'm running out of options (and sanity!) at this point.  Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 06, 2012 Nov 06, 2012

SOLVED - this issue has something to do with Windows 7.  I stumbled upon a thread where someone was having a similar issue. 

Turns out 64 bit Windows 7 users MUST have Quicktime and iTunes installed for audio to work properly with Audition and Flash.  Flash gives constant problems without it.  Now if only Adobe would update their error messaging so users understood what was happening and the resolution is as simple as 20 minutes of downloading/installing software, life would be much easier for s

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When unsure, uncompressed is your friend.

Here's a random snippit of a mp3 converted to uncompressed 44.1khz 16bit stereo WAV. Here's an .aif uncompressed of the same thing. See if they both import. If I export a mp3 from Audition I get your error. Imports fine on Mac/Win CS5.5. MP3s created in other applications work fine in Flash however (just not Audition). I use other apps though so I've had no reason to tinker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither clip will import, they both kick the same error.  What should I try next? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS?

Those will definitely load so the problem has to be some installation corruption or something interfering with reading.

Has this always been a problem or is this new? If it has always been a problem is a reinstall within your time limit? If not can you try nuking your preferences with this just to let Flash rebuild them. Close Flash and as soon as you restart it (the initial loading graphic), press this:

Mac: Command+Option+Shift+Control
Windows: Control+Alt+Shift

Otherwise the typical apps that intercept any load operation would be Anti-Virus/Malware/Spyware apps loaded, try disabling those. Also any HD encryption or compression you may have enabled could interfere. Lastly if you downloaded the audio on the net and the file appears green in Windows, right-click->properties on the file and look at the bottom incase there's an "Unblock" button. If there is, click it to unlock the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS is Windows 7 x64

This is a new installation, always been a problem with it.  I'll try clearing out the preferences.

These are audio recordings I'm creating myself - a Yeti Pro mic into Audition.  Then animating to the audio in flash.  This is the plan anyway... proving difficult with CS6.  Will update after I blow away prefs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So no antivirus or any other problem apps, no compression, everything's good with the audio files.  My last option is re-installing Flash?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I seem to have a problem here.  I've reinstalled CS6 today, have no problem applications running (or even installed), have tried uncompressed audio and compressed audio, multiple formats and am still unable to import any audio.

How do I proceed with this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a HTPC setup and some of my apps like to run audio splitting (FFD*) and interception and initially I thought maybe you have some of those advanced libs installed and might be getting interference. I'm not sure if that applies to you.

Otherwise instead of wasting hours/days/weeks/hair it might just be a good idea to try a fresh install of Flash. Make sure you completely uninstall the previous CS6 Flash install.

The codecs I used are merely WAV and AIF containers. The stream is uncompressed so there is no codec. That removes your system from having a codec compatibility issue. However for good measure I always recommend installing CCCP.

Edit:

Ah you tried reinstalling (as I typed). Try loading this FLA which already has the WAV above in the library, see if you have any issue:

http://www.ertp.com/tmp/SoundExample.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the continued help sinious... still no luck here.

So I can open this and other flash files with audio already imported no problem.  If I open a flash file I've created in the past and try to re-import the same audio file, I get the error.  Something is very strange here.

I know first thought is there's something on the system I'm using - but this computer only has Office 2010, USB Mic drivers, Adobe Master Collection CS6 and Office Communication Service installed.  There's nothing to cause a problem installed on this laptop.  Should I make a call to Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2012 Nov 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have to as this is definitely out of the ordinary.

Most of the reasons are already mentioned as to why most people can't import an audio file. I've encountered some strangeness with the usual issues. Encrypted/compressed filesystems, non-admin users lacking access to files, corrupt flash installs, anti-virii/malware/spyware interception, importing over a network, files downloaded from the net needing the be "Unblocked" and codec issues. None of these seem to be your issue (did you right-click on Flash and run as administrator?).

If you have no FFD* splitters and such, calling Adobe is best, especially if it's a new purchase.

Before you do, if you upgraded from any previous version of Flash they'd probably want to know if the older version worked for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2012 Nov 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sooo this is very very strange.

I just installed the Master Collection trial on my freshly re-imaged tower.  The only thing installed is Windows 7 x64.  Fresh install of Flash - it will not import audio of any kind.

This is two separate systems, 2 new installations of Flash.  None are working with audio.  Suggestions from here?  I was told the issue must be related to local software by Adobe support, but that is now ruled out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update - there is something funky going on with all Audition and Flash - as well as MP3 in general.  Excluding the problem with the test files above, any audio of any kind from Audition is problematic.

If I take that audio and save as WAV file using a converter/editor from another vendor, it works fine.  If I save as MP3 - still problems.

If I take the test audio above and save under any format through this converter, it works.  This same behavior is replicated across 2 installations of CS6 on 2 very different systems.  One of which is a fresh vanilla install of Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update again, I spoke too soon.

I've imported WAV files into flash, and once they are imported, Flash seems to play them in slow motion.  I don't understand what's happening here.  This is, again, on both machines.  The WAV file (voiceover) sounds fine when played with WMP or VLC, but when brought into Flash CS6 it's playing at 2/3 speed or so.  Sounds like a slow motion replay. 

Suggestions? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED - this issue has something to do with Windows 7.  I stumbled upon a thread where someone was having a similar issue. 

Turns out 64 bit Windows 7 users MUST have Quicktime and iTunes installed for audio to work properly with Audition and Flash.  Flash gives constant problems without it.  Now if only Adobe would update their error messaging so users understood what was happening and the resolution is as simple as 20 minutes of downloading/installing software, life would be much easier for some of it's user base.

Hoping that happens sooner than later.  Hope this post proves helpful in the future

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2012 Nov 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quicktime is a dependancy if you wish to export MOV content but I'm really honestly suprised to see it's used beyond that being the boat anchor of performance it is. I, like you, would expect that without it AVI, WAV, etc would operate as they have absolutely nothing to do with Quicktime. If it's a dependancy then Adobe should have both warned about it in dialogs and/or included it during install. But we all know how much Adobe and Apple love each other.......

What would be interesting is to know if removing Quicktime created the problem again.

Good find and glad you solved your issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

in Flash CS3 you can't import audio files with 48.000hz, so maximun is 44.000

try it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2013 Apr 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash seems to import/decode audio using administrator privileges (or it's using another process started with admin privileges to decode it), so audio import fails when running under a regular account.

Running Flash as Administrator fixed the issue for me, but it won't let me open audio on subst drives created by the regular user account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is it:

When exporting from Audition, just make sure the box "Include markers and other metadata" in UNCHECKED.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines