• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Increasing cumulative image size limit

Contributor ,
Dec 13, 2006 Dec 13, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp has a maximum cumulative size of image files that it will compile. When the embeded image size total goes above this limit (say 350 mb) the file refuses to compile.

At present I am having to write my help file in a large number of modules because when I've embeded (say) 50 images in any one module I reach the limit and the module refuses to compile.

This is distinctly annoying because I have to keep subdividing help modules.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would this be RH for Word or RH HTML?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phil -

That works out to be about 7 Mb per image. Wow. You can reduce your image file sizes substantially -

If using .bmps in Word, you can optimize the image size and pallette to create a smaller file size.

If adding images in html, consider rendering them as .jpgs if they are images of people or nature; use .gifs, if they are screen shots...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 14, 2006 Dec 14, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Roger N
Phil -

That works out to be about 7 Mb per image. Wow. You can reduce your image file sizes substantially - ...

Roger,

Don't take my figures too literally - they were just an illustration.

I have two problems - firstly, I'm writing help files for some complicated bespoke software, so have to keep embedding lots of screenshots for 'how to' sections. Second, these screenshots need to be both large and high quality, so they're big files. I'm embedding as jpegs as this seems to be the smallest file size.

Whatever I do, i'm going to hit RH's limit for maximum cumulative size for images - i'm just trying to defer the evil moment for as long as possible by trying to find a way to push that limit up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Peter Grainge
Would this be RH for Word or RH HTML?

Peter - this is RH for Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are inserting images by pasting them into Word, you will have problems. The correct way to do it is via the menus / icons. On the RH menu there is an option to switch between showing the image and showing true code. You must set that to true code when you generate your help or it will fail. Using true code, I have never seen any limit imposed.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) I'm in true code, not wysiwyg.
2) I'm putting the images into the word document via Insert > Picture > from File.

The only time I paste is when I copy an image from one part of the document to another. Should I 'Insert' all images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are inserting using Word's options rather than RH's options. Look further down the Insert menu and there is an Insert Image icon. The shortcut is Ctrl + G and there is an icon on the toolbar.

You are seeing the images in the document. You should be seeing something like {bmct YOURFILE.BMP}

When images are inserted this way, you can work on the document showing the images but before compiling you must use the RH image to switch to the True Code as above. Otherwise it will fall over exactly as you describe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks Peter, that makes sense.

(And thanks for being so generally helpful - it's much appreciated).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp