8GB

Adobe TCS 3.5

Canon G-12 mov 720HD video

CHM file size is 181,772 kb

C2.mov file size is 165,401 kb

C2.wmv file size is 66,147 kb

C2.swf file size is 262 kb

Correct me if I am wrong here, but I am defining:

1. Demonstration as a video capture of the software process currently being explained; showing the active screen, cursor movement to clickable areas and subsequent actions from doing so, values being entered by the keyboard and results of doing so, using screen capturing code.

2. Video as a live action movie showing objects moving in real time on the screen; an actor moving through a sceen and interacting with it, taken with a video camera.

With this defined as such I am trying to put Video into a RoboHelp 9 CHM file. I have chosen to use the CHM format because it reduces the complexity of the project to just one simple file where nothing has a chance of being moved or deleted by lurkers. I have tried the following formats, with the following results:

mp4 - will not show in preview or complied.

swf - shows in preview but not compiled, using the htm created file and standard.js. Gets a connection error when trying to start the file

wmv - will not show in preview or compiled.

I have inserted these files as media, as captivate media and as baggage. I have also linked them back to the internally stored locations within the CHM file.

I updated quicktime, changed default program links and my Flash 11 is 32bit. Active X version is 11.4.402.287 and the Plug-in versions is the same. WMV 1.0.0.8 player for Firefox 10.0.7

I am having no problems with using demos created in Captivate and embedded into Robohelp. I have used Captivate with a single slide holding a video I edited together to output the swf, and mp4 files. I am using Adobes Media Encoder CS 5.5 to make the wmv file.

I saw where one post showed something about using the Active X control inside of the topic htm code so I tried that but dont know enough about the entries to make in the popup.

I need help simplifying the process of embedding a video into my Robohelp CHM. Does anyone have a step by step method to import live action video into a Robohelp 9 CHM?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SWF-Script-Error.jpg

In preview this is the script error I am getting after exiting out of the unresponsive movie in preview and compiled CHM. This popup appears 3-5 times before finally disappearing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2012 Nov 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try moving your project to somewhere with a shorter link without any spaces in the directory names (e.g. C:\Lecia\). Then recompile and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 06, 2012 Nov 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The above URL in the Script Error appears when the video files actually work. The URL is shorter when it is on the server and users save the CHM to their desktop and run it from there.

I went through testing it again with new eyes, a coworker watched me. He suggests that maybe the CHM file is too large and is choking since the preview always seems to work.

Is there a size limit to CHM files before they become unusable?

Searching the internet I found that # in the URL calling up the CHM can cause a problem... no # in my URL.

Another search indicates that a virus protector might cause errors... I turned off the virus protection and recompiled, still has the problem with video files not running.

Apparently there is no limitiation of a CHM file after searching.

I guess there may also be a problem with the CHM file compiled in a 64 enviornment that will not run the video file unless the part of IE runs in 32 .

Message was edited by: RickNoll

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 17, 2012 Dec 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Figured it all out now... I import the Canon camera mov file into PowerDirector11 and edit as needed (adding subtitles and audio, make cuts and transitions, etc). I use Captivate for screen movies only. I import these screen movies into PowerDirector11 and integrate. I then output to a wmv file at 1280x720 30p 6Mbps. This file then gets imported into RoboHelp9 under a hyperlink. In Win7 I set the default program to use on wmv files to Windows Media Center (not the player). The Library may have to be linked if it isn't already.

My CHM file is now 552,793 KB, downloads off the intranet quickly and runs perfectly. When accessing the videos it asks whether to save or open the file. Open is the preffered method. Everything is running in X64 mode.

I had a problem with the wmv player not starting the videos unless they were in the window library. Also my company will not install quicktime for users.

Maybe this will be of some help to others in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 05, 2013 Feb 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As further explaination on the wmv video files I am using... you must set up the default file association (Windows start button, on the right) between wmv and the Windows Media center, not the Player! I make a hyperlink and use the button bar icon tool to link the file and the multiple floppy disk save icon brings the wmv file into the RH project for me. After producing the project into a CHM file, when I click on the video link it asks to open or save... just open it otherwise you may start having duplicate versions of the video file to have to content with. No need to make baggage files, swfs or anything else.

I only use Captivate to cature the software demonstration. I combine the demonstration material with the video and audio in PowerDirector 11 and its suite add-on AudiDirector.

Until the hardware software issues at my company get to the point that flash is common, this is the route I must take.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp