• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking between projects in merged WebHelp

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2012 Nov 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a merged WebHelp (created using RoboHelp 10) that has several child projects. I now need to have the same topic in two child projects and I want to prevent duplicate maintenance.

I tried making the topic a snippet and adding the snippet to the Resource Manager; however, when the snippet is updated in project A, the snippet in project B doesn't reflect the updates. The only other alternative I could think of is linking the topic from project A to project B.

So that leads me to my question - how can you update project A so that when the user clicks a topic, it automatically displays the topic from project B (but without leaving the frame of project A)? Is there a better method to accomplish this?

Thank you in advance for your help, I GREATLY appreciate it!

Nikki

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2012 Nov 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird. I just exported a Snippet from Project 1 to Resource Manager and then dragged it into Project 2 where I made a change. That put the red icon on RM until I hit sync. I then when back to Project 1 and, as you say, the snippet was not updated in the project or showing that it was out of sync. Here's the weird bit. I then added the snippet from RM to another topic and it came with the amendment and updated the first snippet. Weird bit 2 is it seems to be working OK now although it was a quick test really needing a few more attempts.

Might be worth you pursuing this to see if you can get it working.

Otherwise the topic in Project B could be a Redirect to the one in Project A. That would only be practical if you always supply all the projects in the merge.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wondering if you created the snippet in A and then exported it to Resource Manager. When you drag it into B it will be linked but it will not be linked in A unless you create a link there. Exporting it does not create the link.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your help, I had to mess around with it, but I think I've figured it out. Previously, I had given up on the Resource Manager, but after your reply I went back to it with determination.   

In Project A, I made a topic a snippet and moved it to the Resource Manager. In Project B, I dragged the snippet from the Resource Manager into my Snippets pod. I then went back into Project A and dragged the snippet from the Resource Manager into that Snippets pod (overriding the snippet that already existed there). Now it's syncing successfully from both projects. That's a much easier way to have the same topic in multiple projects! 

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's effectively the same thing. Glad to hear the show is back on the road. In fairness to Adobe, there is some logic in having to do it this way. Previously you were just exporting to Resource Manager but not creating a link, hence it did not work.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nikki

If I were you I would create a new user name for future use. Exposing your email address on any forum can lead to all sorts of unwanted spam.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the tip! I officially have a different user name. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp