• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do Coldfusion structure key cases change depending on declaration style?

Participant ,
Nov 07, 2012 Nov 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this simple component (test.cfc):

component {

VARIABLES.obj = {};

VARIABLES.obj.foo = "bar";

VARIABLES.obj['foo2'] = "bart";

remote function func1() {

return VARIABLES.obj;

}

}

The response from the URL “/test.cfc?method=func1&returnformat=json” looks like this:

{
  • foo2: "bart",

• FOO: "bar"

}

Note that if you declare the property of a structure with dot notation, it is returned in uppercase. Using array like declarations returns it as you specified.

This is still apparent when dumping a structure in a page, but is more of a problem when accessing the results via JSON in a Javascript appliation, as this is case sensitive.

Pete

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do Coldfusion structure key cases change depending on declaration style?

I think it is just a quirk of ColdFusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being OCD-ish and a Data Nazi, it kind of gets me too, but it's nice to know CF sees those keys as case insensitive, and really the only time you see the bad casing is when you dump the structure.

Still, I am pushing for properly cased structure keys for COLDFUSION 11!!!

I think someone said if you use structInsert( structName, keyName, value, true), it will maintain the casing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes sense, using structInsert specifies a string for the key, in the same way "VARIABLES.obj['foo2'] = "bart";" does.

But surely it'd still make more sense if dot notation created lower case key names?

Is there some underlying Java reason behind it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But surely it'd still make more sense if dot notation created lower case key names?

Is there some underlying Java reason behind it?

Uppercase, lowercase, random-recasing... it's not important in the context of CF, as CF is case-insenstive.

As you suspect, it's tied into the underlying Java, which is case-sensitive.  CF doesn't see "foo.bar" and "foo.BAR" as different keys, but java would, so CF needed to pick a method of ensuring a Java would see them as the same.  So it decided to upper-case them (it has to do something).

However with associative array notation or structInsert(), one is able to stipulate the case, and this is maintained.  CF still sees foo["bar"] and foo["Bar"] as the same variable though... I'm not sure how it deals with that when passing it to Java (I've never checked).

I also don't know if one does this:

foo.bar = true;

foo["Bar"] = true;

foo["bar"] = true;

Whether they key stays as "BAR" (from when it was first set), or "bar" (how it was last set).  I can see arguments both ways.  Again, I've never checked.

Bottom line: it doesn't matter unless the key name is being used in data interchange with a system that is case-sensitive.  Which 99% of the time is not the case.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also don't know if one does this:

foo.bar = true;

foo["Bar"] = true;

foo["bar"] = true;

Whether they key stays as "BAR"

That's a good point... I'm going to test that.

And I agree 99% of the time it doesn't matter, but when using CFCs to build JSON responses to feed to Javascript, it can be a real pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

<cfscript>

foo.bar = 'First';

foo['bar'] = 'Second';

writeDump(foo);

</cfscript>

struct
BARSecond

<cfscript>

foo['bar'] = 'State 1';

foo.bar = 'State 2';

writeDump(foo);

</cfscript>

struct
barState 2

They key doesn't change when you switch notation types

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation