• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Word doc used by another app when generating PDF

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2012 Nov 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to generate a PDF file from RoboHelp 7.

I'm getting the message: The <filename>.doc is used by another application.

I tried altering the security properties on the reference Word doc.

RoboHelp attempted to generate the PDF, but ended up giving me this message:

Failed to generate Printed Documentation (Printed Documentation), Please see compilation messag for details. Click OK to return.

I haven't been able to find the "compilation message." It's not in the directory to which I was try to generate the PDF.

I didn't have these problems until I experimented with a trial version of RoboHelp 10. I used it to genreate a PDF and also a Word doc.

It seems that some kind of special permissions have been set on these documents created from RoboHelp 10.

Adobe support advised that I would have no problems having RoboHelp 10 and RoboHelp 7 on my PC at the same time. I don't think I agree with that now.

Is it imperative that I be able to generate a PDF from RoboHelp 7, as I have a company deliverable soon for a software release. : = {

Can anyone help me?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2012 Nov 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checking you don't have the Word doc or PDF open when you try to compile (I do this all the time)? Also make sure you close all PDF viewers and copies of Word before compiling as occasionally they don't let go properly.

I've also sometimes seen this when I've had the folder open in Windows Explorer. Try closing all of these too.

Do you still have RH10 installed? If yes, perhaps uninstall?

Amber

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2012 Nov 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have 7, 8, 9 and 10 on a machine so I do agree with Adobe support in the sense that with the right operating system they should all work. I keep 7 for testing only and if it did fail to perform any function I would attribute that to the machine being a Windows 7 machine. Rh7 is not supported on Windows 7. You haven't said what OS you are using.

Try turning off PDF and generating to Word only.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp