• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing word documents - but losing all images which was in it

Nov 08, 2012 Nov 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've inherited formated word files with images from a coworker. When I link or import files to RH images get lost.

When create new word doc (with default settings) and images with inline or text wrap formats, then import this doc to RH, images are imported.

How do I link formated document so that images are imported (linked) as well?

Thank you,

Anna

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2012 Nov 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You posted in the Fm forum and I asked you to clarify what you were trying to link / import as you were referring to a Word document. I could have moved that thread if you had replied there. Now I will delete it.

You have now posted in the RoboHelp for Word forum. RoboHelp for Word is a different application to RoboHelp HTML and I suspect you are using the latter. Please confirm and I will then move this thread and then perhaps we can address the problem.

For future reference, perhaps this thread will help you. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/468468?tstart=0

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 10, 2012 Nov 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the trouble.

I was sure that i go to your link and chose robohelp for word.

But anyway, if you could move the link it would be great. and if you help it would be even greater.

Thank you for your patience and your help.

Anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2012 Nov 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anna

Will you please read my previous reply? Are you using RoboHelp for Word or RoboHelp HTML? They are different applications and we cannot help you unless we know what you are using.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello thank you for your reply.

I'm using RH for HTML. version 8.

when i creat my own file with heading 1 and 2 (using default word settings) and copy images from other places into the doc, then link (or import) to RH images appear.

But when I do the same with inhereted file, images get lost. I tried to anchor images and tried some text wrapping. Even remove all styles from the doc and still images are not imported. I suspect it has something to do with formating of those documents. But may be there is a way to import ( link) them anyway?

Copy and paste does not wark as it defeats the purpose and also quality of images are not so great this way.

Thank you,

Anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now moved this thread to the RoboHelp HTML forum.

It looks like you understand the process as you have it working with documents you created. There is information on my site about importing and linking if you need more reference material.

I am wondering if the problem is that the rogue documents have linked images rather than embedded images. Embed a new image in a copy of a rogue document and see what comes through.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 12, 2012 Nov 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestion Peter,

I tried to add an image to the original file, but it did not import either.

If you have any other ideas on how to proceed, I'll glady follow your advise.

Thank you,

Anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the problem document one that you could share with me privately? If it is, please see the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting the same results as you. The file imports into Rh9 without any problems so my thinking was this is somehow related to the DOCX format but I saved the file in DOC format and it makes no difference.

I will have to poke around some more on this one.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I work on RH 8, but it’s probably same with respect to my situation.

I appreciate your help.

Thank you,

Anna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I know you are using Rh8. That's where I see same problem. I was just saying it works in 9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 22, 2012 Nov 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

as per your suggestion I re-saved files in RTF ( RichText Format). The files imported and linked no problem.

There was a another issue of the poor quality of the images since RH8 converts PNG images to GIF.

The solution was to ensure only JPG or GIF images are inserted into Word documetns, so that they did not get converted.

Thank you for all your help.

Anna

Message was edited by Peter Grainge - Text in blue added to clarify the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 19, 2012 Dec 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all your help with my previous questions. I decided to link instead of importing documents.

Recently I have stumbled on other problem:

When linking word doc, Index does not come through.

I tiried File, Project Settings, Edit Conversion settings, chose headings and pagination, but i find nothing on Index.

Also tried to rightclick properties in the project Manag. to convert word settings Index - but empty strings are not allowed.

If I import same doc, then index gets converted, but images stay out. (I could use RTF like yu suggested previously, but it does disservice to the quality of images)

So any ideas would be appreaciated.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 21, 2012 Dec 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have been advised that adding the index of a linked document is deliberately not allowed. The problem would be when you next update. Rh would have no way of knowing which entries were from the linked document and stripping out any that were no longer valid follwing the document being updated.

Good news:
In the Index Pod you will see a toolbar button called “Insert Index Placeholder”.

So you can have a Master Index and insert Child indexes as placeholder. In the SSL output you select this master index and entry from the child index will get included automatically.

This should take care of the scenario you have mentioned. Placeholder is available to TOC also.
So create a new index when you link and specify that as the child.

Job done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp