• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't clip mask a folder?

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2012 Nov 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I needed to clip several layers to one. So I had to turn'em it into a smart object in order to make this work.

Just wondering why clipping a folder cannot be done.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 11, 2012 Nov 11, 2012

Yep, requested at:

Adobe Forums: Ps CS6 Request: Allow clipping of Group to ...

You should add your voice to that thread because there is a high probability that nobody at Adobe has noticed it, or taken note of the request.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2012 Nov 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please be a bit more specific?

It's certainly possible to have two layers "clipped" to one, making it unnecessary to do things a different way, but it occurs to me I'm likely not understanding your specific goals based on your description, possibly because the "clipping mask" terminology is at best a bit confusing.

TwoLayersClipped.png

But per the second part of your message...  Have you tried creating the layer above the group first, then choosing Layer - Create Clipping Mask from the menu?

ClipToGroup.png

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sometimes you want to apply clipping mask to a folder, not a layer. IT's not the same as applying clipping mask to layers inside the folder. Inside the folder I have diffrent clippng, with effect and stuff - I want to clip all this folder as a whole to whatever is below. For example Clip Studio Paint allows to do it, but in Photoshop you can't - you have to merge group into layer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, requested at:

Adobe Forums: Ps CS6 Request: Allow clipping of Group to ...

You should add your voice to that thread because there is a high probability that nobody at Adobe has noticed it, or taken note of the request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Noel Carboni

To reduce ambiguity I'd say that 'I need to clip several layers to one layer'.

I have several layers with properties (order, opacity and blending modes) that results into a unique "composed" image that I just don't want to flatten. I need to only show a portion of this composed image, so I'm clipping them. For some reason, clipping all this masks to one dissorts this "composition" (won't look the same). So I said, instead of clipping them individually,  let's clip'em as a whole, so I group'em, but you can't clip a layer group to a layer.

Your second image is what I want to do, but at the inverse. The group to a layer, not a layer to a group.

@conroy

In these sense,  this is exactly what I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jobsmxli wrote:

@conroy

In these sense,  this is exactly what I need.

Then mark my answer as helpful and add to the request thread that I linked. There's no chance of Adobe adding a feature when I'm the only person requesting it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already worte it just had not sent it, checking grammar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for my impatience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2015 Jan 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A solution is to convert your layers/folder to one smart object, and then set the smart object as cliping marsk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, is it possible to not converting the folder to one smart object before clipping mask it? I don't want the folder to merge as a single layer because I need to edit the layers inside it individually later on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines