• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to tell Encore that an orphan timeline is NOT and orphan?

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2012 Oct 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am pretty much getting the hang of Encore but came across a problem I can not find the answer to.  I have an encore project which has three timelines.  Each timeline has several chapters.  I need to link the individual chapters to buttons on the DVD menu so I made chapter playlists from the timelines.  In the DVD menus I link all my buttons up to the chapter playlists so they will play the chapters I want them to play.  As such the timelines themselves do not get linked to any button on the Menu, they also have no end action since the end actions occur on the chapter playlists.

When I check project, Encore tells me that my timelines are orphans and that they have no end action set.

Firstly they are not orphans, since they are used in the chapter playlists so I can't delete them, secondly the timelines don't need end actions since it is the chapter playlists that are played.

Can anyone tell me how to deal with this situation correctly?

I am using Encore CS5.1

Many thanks,

Haydn

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While it does seem odd, the timeline itself is not used, so Encore is calling it an orphan. You can add an end action on the timeline itself so you don't get the warning, but you can ignore both of these and it appears to build fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that Stan.  Yes you are right, the DVD built fine and all the links work as I had planned.  I knew I couldn't delete the timelines that I didn't use directly since that would also get rid of the chapter playlists I was using, but Encore was insisting this was an error, so I wasn't sure it was safe to ignore it.  It is good to know you can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2012 Nov 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be able to link a menu to the orphaned time line, but do not actually link any buttons to them. Odd, but at least you stop getting the error messages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2012 Nov 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clever option. I'm trying to see what the downside is, but perhaps none! It probably will be added to the disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2013 Jan 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this issue.  I was able to resolve it on the Timelines Panel.  Right click on the timeline you want to play first and select "Set as First Play."  Worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click on the timeline you want to play first and select "Set as First Play."

I don't understand how th is would address Haydn's issue. That timeline (that he is not playing at all) will play first before any menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Set menu as first play then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines