5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2017 5:51 PM by Whirled Creative

Why is Liquify Brush Size so Out of Proportion?

Whirled Creative Level 1

When I choose the Liquify option from the Filter menu, the Liquify tool opens and I have access to the custom set of Liquify tools. Unlike almost any other tool where you select a brush size, the Liquify tool requires you to modify the position of a slider rather than selecting the brush size dynamically by right-clicking.

The problem is that the brush size selector control goes from 0 to 15,000px diameter. In order to make effective use of a 15,000 pixel liquify push tool, you'd have to have a really large image. Perhaps there is a case where someone at some time used a 15,000 px diameter nudge brush in the Liquify tool, but in my nearly 20 years of using Photoshop, I have never come across the need for a brush that large.

Regardless, because the selector uses a linear scale, it is really difficult to select a small brush size (say less than 100px) without manually incrementing the slider.

I would really like to see Adobe standardize the tool size/preset selector so that it is always available via the context menu (or equivalent) and that an option exists to enable relative slider values or percentage slider values in incremental selectors like brush size. Percentages could be setup where 100% was the largest side of the current image and then brush sizes could be selected via percentage of your image (of course converting to pixels, but the scale would be percentage-based). Even an exponential scale that favored the smaller values would be helpful. Or perhaps, movable caps that would allow you to set your own Max and Min values....that would rock.

Are there are any plugins that solve this problem? Anybody have any advice on how I might be able to select more appropriately scaled brushes in the Liquify tool when I am working with images where a 15,000 pixel brush head is unreasonable.

Any input would be greatl appreciated. 

Jase                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

• 1. Re: Why is Liquify Brush Size so Out of Proportion?
          Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

Sounds like your using photoshop cs6?

What operating system are you using?

On a windows system there are several ways to change the brush size besides the slider:

1. Alt+Right click + drag left or right

(on a mac Ctrl + Option + drag left or right)

2. use the bracket keys on the keyboard

3. highlight the numbers in the brush size and use the up and down arrows on the keyboard

4. use the scrubby sliders

(hold the mouse on where it says Brush Size and move let or right)

• 2. Re: Why is Liquify Brush Size so Out of Proportion?
            Whirled Creative Level 1

R_Kelly, thanks for the reply.

The problem isn't that there aren't enough ways to change the size fo the cursor, it's the relative scale of the cursor. I have two 37" Dell Ultra monitors on my desktop and to use the Alt-Right click method of resizing the brush (even on a 7500 pixel wide document at 300 dpi), I have to drag from one side of my dual monitor setup across 60 inches (whatever the horizontal width of a 37" monitor x2) about 50 times to get the brush to a size that I can actually see the outline of it.

Then, once I can see the outline of the Nudge Tool (in the Liquify tools), if I drag about 3 pixels, the visible outline of the brush wildly jumps from full-screen to tiny. It's because the scale of the brush size selector is a mess. 95% of the sizes in the selector are bigger than the piece that I am working on. Does that make sense? Why would you be able to select a tool size bigger than your document? Furthermore why would you want 95% of the available tool sizes to be unusable? It doesn't make any sense at all.

Thanks for the short reminder on brush size manipulation in general. I was surprised to see it work in the Liquify tool--though it didn't solve the issue.

Best wishes,

Jase

• 3. Re: Why is Liquify Brush Size so Out of Proportion?
              AndersonEd

I am very glad to hear these shortcut tips, which I didn't know about. But I agree - the increments in the liquify tool have never been so broken as with the recent releases.

• 4. Re: Why is Liquify Brush Size so Out of Proportion?
                jemcgarvey Level 1

I concur with the need for a simple preferences section covering min/max brush sizes, ideally for all brushes. The shortcuts are great and certainly help boost productivity, but it's been over two years and nothing done yet? I can't believe it's too difficult to accommodate the majority of us who never work with images larger than a few thousand pixels.

• 5. Re: Why is Liquify Brush Size so Out of Proportion?
                  Whirled Creative Level 1

Though I understand that you need to go through an mark official answers as correct, I can't help but feel that this answer did not suffice. It is not just with this one tool, though this tool is for me the most obvious. CC does not solve the problem of peculiar limits for scaling in several tools--some of which there are no alternative workarounds. I can't help but feel that if I had asked to help because my engine in my car was loud, you would have said, "turn up the radio" as a solution and marked it closed. After all, if the radio is louder, I wouldn't hear the engine, would

I can't help but feel that if Adobe made cars and I had asked for help because my engine was loud, you would have said, "turn up the radio" as a solution and marked it closed. After all, if the radio is louder, I wouldn't hear the engine at all.

Learning the keyboard or mouse shortcuts to handle this one specific case does not change the fact that the minimum and maximum scale is completely unreasonable on more tools than this. Of course, if you haven't addressed this issue in 4 years since I asked this question, chances are, you aren't going to fix it.