• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why Won't File Print Full Size When Another File Will?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2012 Nov 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am really stumped. I have designed a CS5 InDesign 6 x 9 inch book, but it prints out one half inch shorter than 9 inches. It prints 6 x 8.5 inches. (I am printing these proofs on a 8 1/2 x 11 inch sheet of paper. I put a border around the edge of the 6 x 9 document page to give me the print's dimension.)

However, if I start a new 6 x 9 inch document, it prints out a full 6 x 9 inches like it should.

Any idea what I might have done to have caused this result? When creating the document for the book, I chose:  File/New/Document. I set the page width to 6 inches, the page height to 9 inches.

I would sure appreciate hearing your solution. Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the page dimensions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. The page dimensions are set to 6 x 9 inches in document setup. On screen, the page shows to be exactly 6 x 9 inches according to the rulers. But when the document prints, the width is correct, but the height is only 8.5 inches.

The printer isn't shortening it, because a 6 x 9 inch other file will print exactly 6 x 9.

Is there anything you know of that could prevent the book from printing its full height of 9 inches?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are printing this direct to a printer, check the print dialog's Setup section and see if the scale boxes are set to 100%.

Take care, Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Mike. I was thinking along the same lines. I printed a page with the printer set to 100% and then printed a page to "actual size." Both printed to a height of only 8.5 inches. Do you know of anything within InDesign that could throw the height dimension off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Can you save a copy of the document, strip it of any data you do not desire the world to see, then ZIP it up and upload to dropbox.com, wikisend.com or another document sharing siet and provide a link to download it?

Take care, Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your help, Mike. My document is a book of about 150 pages. Would one page give you enough information? Also, could you tell me how to zip it (I have Windows 7). I've not used a document sharing site before, so you couldn't possibly give me too much info on how to do this.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I can thingk of is that the height really isn't 9 inches, perhaps becasue the Page Tool was used to change it, and you just anren't noticing that the ruler doesn't start at the top of the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter. I can see you are very perceptive. My document height starts at "0" and ends at "9" inches. Gee, I wish it were so simple. Thanks for trying to figure this out with me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you show uys a screen capture of the page? You can embed the image in a post by using the camera icon on the web page like this:

CameraIcon.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sample.PNG

Here are sample pages. Thanks for looking this over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you export to PDF and print that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, good question. I'll try that. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, if just one page demonstrates the issue.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2012 Nov 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In setup section in the print window make sure that "Centred" is choosen in page position drop down list to be away from the paper edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2012 Nov 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Mohamed. Very good advice. Yes, I have done that. I appreciate your suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 13, 2012 Nov 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't this, is it?

ss.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Michael and Mohamed. Page width and height are 100%, page size is letter, page position is centered, scale to fit is not checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever try the PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it doesn't look as if we've suggested a trip through .idml yet...

See Remove minor corruption by exporting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did a PDF. I checked it in Acrobat 9 Pro and it lists my document page size as 6.00 x 9.00 in. and the PDF looks like it should. Do you know of any way that margins or a master page could mess up the height dimension? I'm grasping at straws at this point. Thanks for your insight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try printing a page or two from the PDF just to be sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to print a PDF page, but was unable to open the PDF in InDesign. The message box said, " Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application." (We can cross off the last possibility, because the file was not open elsewhere.)

I did have a problem when I originally saved the PDF. An error message stated that one of my fonts, Lucinda Bright, would not embed. So I deleted Lucinda from my original document (deleted the paragraph style that used it and replaced it with an embeddable font). I saved a new PDF from this document, but still got the error message about Lucinda. Perhaps there's a way to further remove it from a document? Anyway, I suppose Lucinda is the reason I can't open my PDF. Any thoughts on what I should do now? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll need to use either the stand alone Acrobat or the free Adobe Reader app to open the PDF to print it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Larry, for explaining this to me. I was able to print it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines