Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Touch/Drag player paddle

Contributor ,
Nov 13, 2012 Nov 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm trying to use a desktop AS3 pong-type game for a mobile deployment. This requires changing the player paddle's movement so that instead of following the mouse up or down on Y, it would allow for touch and be dragged up or down on Y by this touch gesture.

I haven't used touch gestures but have been reading at: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/as3/dev/WS1ca064e08d7aa93023c59dfc1257b16a3d6-7ffc.html

Need some help with scripting this. So far, have adapted the script found in the doc's first example, but cannot get it to work in the AIR/Android simulator/debugger in Flash CS6. I must be doing something wrong. No error messages, but it also doesn't drag the paddle in the debugger/simulator.

Here's the script so far. Any suggestions/help appreciated. Maybe, this needs a different scripting approach all-together?

playerPaddle.addEventListener(TouchEvent.TOUCH_BEGIN, onTouchBegin);

playerPaddle.addEventListener(TouchEvent.TOUCH_END, onTouchEnd);

function onTouchBegin(e:TouchEvent) {

e.target.startTouchDrag(e.touchPointID, false, playerPaddle.y);

trace("touch begin");

}

function onTouchEnd(e:TouchEvent) {

e.target.stopTouchDrag(e.touchPointID);

trace("touch end");

}

The original mouse drag script for the paddle was simple: playerPaddle.y = mouseY;

TOPICS
ActionScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

use e.currentTarget instead of e.target.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kglad,

Thanks for your suggestion. I substituted e.currentTarget for e.target and even tried changing playerPaddle.y to playerPaddle, but no success. The paddle, using the touch enabled simulator in the AIR debugger did not move.

Not sure how to get a simple drag (Y only) to work in touch mobile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you enable the correct panel of the simulator (touch and gesture>tick touch layer>tick touch: click and drag)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I did check the touch checkbox plus click and drag. But while the dot simulator appeared, when I placed it over the player paddle and tried click and drag, nothing moved.

I'm not familiar with the touch drag parameters: maybe the last item as playerPaddle.y (or even playerPaddle without adding .y) are not correct?

Since, in mobile maybe a mouse down is interpreted as a touch event, would it be possible to simply set up mouse down and mouse up to start and stop a drag on Y? Not sure what this would look like in AS3, but maybe this could work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines