Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Chrome doesn't display content?

Feb 02, 2012 Feb 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the TCS 3.5 version of RoboHelp, a.k.a. RoboHelp 9. Chrome looks like it's version 16? There are other versions being used, though.

We almost went crazy yesterday, because my boss followed my instructions for turning her project into WebHelp, and it came up empty. Literally. No left nav table of contents, no search, no text, nada. Just the skin. And the skin was a slightly different color, and the spacing was funky. After a few hours of hair-pulling, having others walk through the process and generate RoboHelp just fine, we found out her default browser was Chrome. So I pulled her output off our fileshare, and opened it in Chrome, Firefox, and Explorer. The last two were fine. But Chrome was empty, and the skin didn't look right. It looked fine on the other two browsers.

So, what do we do? Is there some way to make RH Chrome-friendly, the way you can add Mark of the Web? Or are we just SOL, and Chrome and RH don't play well together?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Does Chrome display it correctly from a Web Server? For example, does the link below work in your boss' Chrome browser?

Click here to view

I seem to recall that Chrome has issues with WebHelp from any HAT because of the framesets. But only when you attempt to view locally. It's a security thing. So is Mark of the Web. But that's only applicable to Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, interesting. I can't use her Chrome, since she's working from home today, but I called it up in mine.

Topics, but no ToC present, and the colors are substantially different. And I typed "WebHelp" into Search, and it doesn't work. The only difference is that you have topic content, which we couldn't get, even though the Topics look just fine in RoboHelp.

I suspect the answer is that we're just going to have to warn people about Chrome...

Thanks,

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2012 Feb 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this link using Chrome. http://www.grainge.org/demos/bbair/

No I don't think the answer is to warn people. I suspect the answer is that you are trying to view the help locally and that does not work with Chrome. It has to be on a server, which is why Rick posed the question.

Put your help on a server and see what happens.

There is more about the problem on my site, plus a solution for running it locally.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've hit this problem - no left pane navigation in Chrome. Sigh.

I've tried Captiv8r's link and got... no left pane navigation in Chrome. Sigh.

I tried Peter's link. I got left pane navigation (nothing open by default under 'Contents' but it will open on click) but is the answer to my woes in that 'help'?

Basically, a straight question seeking a straight answer: do I need to upgrade to v9 and hey presto, everything is fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome was not supported until RoboHelp 9 but I cannot guarantee that will fix your issues. It should but I have no way of knowing if other issues might also be at play. Best solution to be certain is to download the trial of RoboHelp 9 to a non-production machine and see what happens. I suspect all will be OK but, as stated, cannot guarantee it.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'd hoped for a copper-bottomed guarantee but I'll take the sage guidance gratefully. Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 20, 2012 Jun 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Just for the record: WebHelp generated with RH9 demo version still does not display locally with Chrome (v. 20). Sad, because Chrome now has a significant browser market share, and my company has many customer sites where WebHelp has to be deployed locally...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can those sites not deploy the help to a web server rather than install it on each user's PC?

If not, there are workarounds on my site. See Snippets.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Thanks for your reply.

I know the proper way to go is to deploy the help system on a Web server - only at some customer sites, that can't be done. Also, I understand even with this solution, there are still a number of issues with WebHelp and Chrome (index topic popups not displaying, search results messing up with the top of the search pane...).

Anyway, I'll look into HM2Go, as suggested on your site (I knew of the "--allow-file-access-from-files" workaround - and also knew we just could not use it at customer sites).

Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 20, 2012 Jul 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the same problem. One of the developers investigated and figured out the problem is that Chrome does not render RoboHelp-generated .htm files because of the DOS/Windows-style CR/LF line breaks.

So I'm going to update my build script to post-process the .htm files with dos2unix or the like.

I previously raised the CR/LF issue with Adobe support when I had trouble checking RoboHelp output into CVS. They said they'd add UNIX-style line feeds as a feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2012 Jul 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is very well documented on the web that the problem with webhelp displaying locally is because of the use of framesets. Snippets on my site describes the workarounds.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, OK, actually our problem is different, I just didn't read carefully enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2012 Nov 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back again!

So, I put the lines of code from Peter's site right at the very top of the pile of declarations, just nestled under the WebHelp 5.10.006 comment. Copied it over to the local folder, hit the index.html and Chrome just went into a flutter - blank screen, and the 'Stop'/'Reload page' button just flickered between the 'Stop' cross icon and the rotating arrow, 'Reload'; flickered really quickly like the poor browser was having a fit until I did the decent thing and put it out of its misery.

Note: this was on my C drive. Would that code change, sitting on a server, actually make any odds? I have to ask here because I don't want to annoy the already annoyed tech-heads who would have to make that simple little copy and paste.

Or, with the passage of time, have we got any kind of robust solution in place? Upgrade to Robo v10? Another snippet of code? Anything at all? I'm open to anything at all that will fix this. Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you mean the line of code I think you do, that relates to making the TOC appear on the server. Running Chrome locally is a separate issue.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fast, and thank you.

Okay, some doughnuts and a 'pretty please' might be in order!

Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Count me in for one of those doughnuts!

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp