• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lost my Structured View to a dual monitor - Help!

Nov 15, 2012 Nov 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Framemaker 8, Structured

Windows 7 Prof

A user has been using a dual monitor setup with the desktop extended to the second monitor.

He pushed the Structured View over to the second monitor and shutdown the machine.

He then restarted the machine without the second monitor attached and now he cannot bring up the Structured View.

From my past experience with this same phenomenon, I believe the Structured View is still sitting over in the second monitor space. When this has happened to me I re-attach the second monitor, located the view and was able to grab the view and slide it back over to the main display.

However, this user claims he has tried that and the Structured View is not located in the second display. He had to leave before I could work with the laptop and try to 'find' the Structured View myself.

My question is, is there a better way to reclaim any view/window/dialog that was left in a secondary display when Framemaker is restarted with only the main display?

Thanks,

Michael Hare

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Search Amebr's posts - she's got a little mouse-wiggling trick that snaps back lost focus on those 2nd monitor issues kicking around the forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. Forgive me, I have no idea who Amebr is and I cannot seem to locate her in the user search. Do you have a full name, or can you point me to a specific post?

Thanks,

- m

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found her - check post #2 out in http://forums.adobe.com/message/4392658#4392658

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The window co-ordinates are stored in the user-specific maker.ini file [DialogLayout] area.

The [0,0] point is in the upper-left. You can edit these co-ordinates  as required to bring back any dialogue window to a specific location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction: the structure view window is in the [StructureView] section

[StructureView]

;-------------------------  Structure View  ----------------------------

Position=360, 144, 376, 272

Just change the first two numbers to something like 10,10 to move it onto the first monitor and reposiiton as required afterwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Arnis,

That looked really promising. However, when I edit the maker.ini and change the values for the StructuredView position, it makes no change to the position of the SV window on the desktop.

Jeff: Thanks for the link. That may work as long as the lost window has focus when I press 'alt-space-M'

- m

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which maker.ini file did you edit? The one in the FMHome folder (the application installation folder) is read first, then the user specific version located in the C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\8.0 is read next overwriting any value in the master .ini file. You need to edit your specific maker.ini.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 16, 2012 Nov 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Arnis. That is what I was missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 16, 2012 Nov 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I do not know whether this will work in your case, but sometimes my structure view disappears. I simply refresh my workspace. I have version 9 of Fm.

Van

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines