• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

font change not appearing in Autonumber

Contributor ,
Nov 14, 2012 Nov 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM10, Windows 7 64-bit. Inherited documents, template has evolved over maybe 15 years so there's a lot of legacy cruft.

I have a Bullet1 paragraph tag. Its Autonumber Format is l\t (that's a lowercase L before the backslash). The Character Format for the autonumber is Bullet. The font for the Bullet character tag was once upon a time Zapf Dingbats but it gets remapped to Adobe Pi Std.

On my predecessor's machine, Bullet1 had a round bullet, maybe because he had a different Zapf Dingbats, I don't know (machine has been wiped so I can't check it). On my machine, instead of a bullet there's a question mark.

I was unable to get font mapping to work (see "Zapf Dingbats bad font replacement in FM10" thread) so I hacked Adobe Pi Std to add the bullet glyph from Zapf Dingbats BT Regular and map it to l. (For future reference, I had to reboot before the font change was active.)

If I type an l and format it with the Bullet character tag, it appears as a bullet, but Bullet1 still has a question mark in place of a bullet.

Suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Nov 15, 2012 Nov 15, 2012

I eventually got the hacked font to work. I needed to reboot Windows to get it to recognize the modified font, and delete FrameMaker's .font_cache to get FrameMaker to apply it consistently.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2012 Nov 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why isn't the format using a \b ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who knows? They're legacy docs. These formats were probably originally created with FrameMaker 5.5.6 around 1998 and have passed through uncounted hands since then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like the issue is in how I hacked Adobe Pi Std. The Bullet2 paragraph tag, which is the same except the Autonumber string is n\t, is displaying a square bullet, as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robert,

As I mentioned in your other thread, you can still use the older Postscript fonts on a Win7 platform, so you could use either the ZaptDingbats or ZapgDingbats BT versions directly without hacking the AdobePiStd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said above, the font mapping is not working, so I'd have to edit every document. I'll do that eventually, as the docs need to be updated, and get rid of dingbat font usage entirely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I'm saying is that if you install a PS version of ZapfDingbats, you wouldn't have to change anything in any document. Right now, if somebody else opens a document without your special hacked version of the font, you do have a maintenance issue.

Also, you can comment out the AdobePiStd substitution line in the maker.ini to prevent FM from trying to make any substituions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would FrameMaker do any better with a PS version of Zapf Dingbats than with the OpenType version that's installed already?

I tried commenting out the font mapping line entirely, no change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The encodings are different. With either version of Dingbats, you would be using thee original FrameRoman and all of the characters would display as intended.

Something sounds strange on your installation. I'm not seeing any substitutions taking place for ZapfDingbats on any of FM8-11 on XP or Win7 64-bit plaforms  (nor do I even have the substitution line commented out).

Do you have the "Remember Missing Font Names" option set in your Preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I installed FM9 and then upgraded to TCS 3.5. The relevant maker.ini entry was:

[UnknownToKnownFontMap]

; Font Entries Added in Frame 8 due to Font Set Changes

Zapfdingbats, *,*= Adobe Pi Std,*,*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shouldn't that be "ZapfDingbats"? FM is case-sensitive (unix heritage) for most things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 16, 2012 Nov 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That file was created by the FM9 and/or TCS 3.5 installer, so if it's wrong, it's a bug.

But what are the chances of encountering a bug in FrameMaker 10? It's so robust you'd think it had been coded by Microsoft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I eventually got the hacked font to work. I needed to reboot Windows to get it to recognize the modified font, and delete FrameMaker's .font_cache to get FrameMaker to apply it consistently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines