• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS6 PS Cropping Tool has many problems for working professionals...

Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2012 Oct 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I understand that the kids at Adobe would like to change things around in "upgrade versions" of Photoshop.  However for working photographers and professionals that crop A LOT of images in the course of their work, the new cropping tool is a DISASTER!  A few may like the new tool... however, there are many that don't.  http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop_6_crop_tool?utm_content=reply_link&u...

To the point, here's how to fix the problem.  Adobe, you have the CS5 PS cropping tool code... please put that code EXACTLY as it is in CS5 into the "Classic" option for CS6 PS.  This way, those who WORK with Photoshop and PAY to use the software can get their work done using the excellent crop tool as was in CS5 (which I have downgraded to so I can get work done) and those who are giddy about the new crop tool can play to their hearts content.

Adobe, you are upsetting a lot of paying clients with your new crop tool and the "faux" classic tool option.  You might want to address this issue soon!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not alone; when Photoshop CS6 first came out a lot of people echoed this sentiment.  But it's water under the bridge I think.

Beyond a suggestion to try to get used to the new Crop Tool for a while (time helps), have you tried using the Perspective Crop Tool as your default?  It works a lot like the Crop Tool used to work.  Just remember to use the handles in the middle of the sides and not the corners.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I realize that the new crop tool has some new features that some people might find useful, I would very much like to have the original crop tool back. It was so much easier to use. I've been working with the new crop tool for several months now and I have figured out how to make it work a little better for me, but it is still slower and clunkier than the old tool. I especially hate the selection always being there while the tool is active.

The old tool was elegant. It required less steps to crop. The new "features" of the new crop tool require more steps and make the workflow much less efficient.

Please make the classic mode operate truly like the old crop tool. Please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 is a downgrade - NOT an upgrade.

The CS6 Crop Tool sucks. Fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sure would be nice if this tool was brought back to the efficient useful form it was in CS5 - Messing around with this single feature has prevented me from actively getting into PS CS6, and I own it @home and just got it @work!

"But it's water under the bridge I think." I think not, AFA the total frustration that overcomes serious users of a software product that has been doinked around with for no real good reason (yeah, MHO after 16 years of professional use).

"Please make the classic mode operate truly like the old crop tool. Please."

Sounds like a simple, reasonable request to me - it will most likely be ignored.

Oh, and I still want my little 'active window' red X back...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2012 Nov 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree. This is the worst Photoshop Upgrade ever! and I've used it since 2.0  I crop images all the time, and the crop image is truly painful and awful.

For example it pretends to give you a classic mode. But it doesn't even remember your preference for choosing classic mode, so almost every time you go back into it you have to push the P key which supposedly puts it in Classic Mode if it doesn't put you in the Path tool instead.

So select crop using the C key. Now the crop area shows. Try and crop, but it moves THE WHOLE image around. It moves the image on the canvas, rather than moving the cropping region on the image, keeping the canvas in the same place.

Then if you get your region selected and hit the return key (which should make the crop action happen) and then hit cmd-S it says "Crop the image before saving?" I already said to crop it. So you have to hit the return key twice.

Oh man I hope this isn't a sign of things to come, like some new product manager who wants to "leave their mark" on Photoshop. I am reverting to CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2012 Nov 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious to hear back from any of the folks who initially didn't care for the changes, but whom have been using it for months now...  Have you gotten used to the changes?

Now that I have some 8 months of daily/hourly Ps CS6 use under my belt, with the settings for the crop tool I've chosen, I have to say I've come to anticipate its behavior, and I find it no problem at all to use.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 17, 2012 Nov 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"

I'm curious to hear back from any of the folks who initially didn't care for the changes, but whom have been using it for months now... Have you gotten used to the changes?

"

I changed/adapted and now like new crop tool better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2012 Nov 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gosh, isn't that a fundamental failure of user interface design if it takes 8 months of daily/hourly Ps CS6 under your belt, you can anticipate its behavior? What ever happened to "get it almost immediately?"  Why should it take more than an hour or two to understand a deep tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2012 Nov 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It`s will be most better, if Adobe engenieres, save the "new mode" of crop tool(I personally like some of new trick`s(for example, that I can rotate the trimming frame with hotkey, or change crop preset while trimming frame already active), !!!but!!! at least they would have made it possible, to preserve the "classic mode" a constant. That would not be necessary activate it, each time then I change the crop-tool preset. This will be not bad... For.....  inception
Sorry for my english ((((

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2012 Nov 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ira K

I am an advanced amateur and am finding the new crop tool a nightmare to use.  Besides the problems documented above, I often cannot go

back and edit the crop even though do not delete pixels is checked. 

I'd like to see the legacy crop method updated with additional features, like being able to lock the rotation and greater ease when making very small changes to the crop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Asking for the tool to be redesigned when you haven't even figured out how to use it properly seems a bit premature.

When you say "I often cannot go back and edit the crop" you're implying you've done other operations between an initial crop and subsequently trying to change it.  What are those?

If you can isolate a repeatable sequence of steps that leads you to what you perceive as a failure, then we should discuss specifics.  It could be another operation is deleting pixels beyond the edge of the visible canvas, or that you're misinterpreting what you're seeing - or possibly even that you have a specific system problem that's preventing the new crop tool from working properly.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel,

Perhaps you have a point. But I have been using photoshop for the past 8-10 years and the crop tool was never a problem.

Now it is. Today I wanted to expand my crop but could not do so using the "classic mode". I discovered that if I switched to the new mode, I was able to expand the crop.

Ira

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find that if I select Classic Mode, uncheck Delete Cropped Pixels, and drag corner points out and away from the edge of the cropped image, then complete the crop, it recovers the pixels that were invisible.  It's not very interactive.

Please allow me to suggest that you try this combination of options as a compromise instead:

NewCropSettings.png

When using the tool, rather than getting bogged-down in it being new, just use it in the way you would have used the old one.  If you want to drag a crop border around something in the middle of the image, just do it, as you would have before.

The only thing you have to do differently is if you're intending to put the crop border around the entire image, you just have to realize that it's already there rather than trying to drag around the whole image as you might have done before.

Give it a try.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2012 Dec 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going back to Photoshop CS5. The crop tools in CS6 messes up my workflow that much. What a disappointment!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the settings I showed above, Ken?

Resistance to change to this extreme may keep you from discovering a few good things that will have helped you.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Noel, but my issue is having to go through hijinks to set the resolution at the time of the crop. And it's not resistance to change, but resistance to added steps. It's simply faster to use CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe team probably doesn't give a rat's behind whether you go back to Photoshop CS5.

What they would take notice of, and possibly use as input to make the product better, would be a clear, step-by-step description of what you do with Photoshop CS5, which you find more difficult to do in Photoshop CS6.

And who knows, maybe someone would be able to suggest a way to use Photoshop CS6 in a way that would (after a little re-learning) actually make things easier for you.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, fair enough. Good point. And thanks for hanging with me.

I must crop and set the resolution for a variety of photos. Some will end up in a newspaper, and i set the resolution for them at 150 ppi. Some will be printed on a color printer; those get 250 ppi; some are going to the web and get 75 ppi. Sometimes i get a low-res image to work with and want to readily set the resoluton to 85 (one times the line screen) to hedge against pixelation.

Meanwhile, there are one-column, two-column, three-column etc photos for the paper. I often must output photos to the web at certain widths.

It's handy, like in CS5 and before, to tab from one field to the other, not needing the mouse to make these settings.

As i understand PSCS6 you must invoke a shortcut to get to preset sizes to easily accomplish this, and that involves using the mouse to select it.

Also, i don't want to have to wade through a bunch of presets to get to the one i need.

I admit, i've spent only an hour reading online to determine this workaround, so maybe i'm missing something easier.

Again, thanks for the help

—Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ken, I have to say that I too chose to go back to CS5.  I feel like I got nailed with being an "early adopter", you know the guys that get to do the bug testing for a company because they didn't know how to do it or were too cheap.

That is something that  Noel (How you doing Noel? You probably don't remember me from back in the Macromedia user group days, but thought I'd say hi anyhow) either doesn't understand or isn't acknowledging so far.

I am judging by his like 19k+ posts that he's either a rep on behalf of Photoshop or an avid user.   I appreciate what he is trying to do, but on the other hand, just admit the tool is a pain.  It isn't intuitive. It does take WAY too long to figure out to use.

I have NEVER had this much problem with any tool in Photoshop. This tool represents the biggest pain I have EVER experienced with a Photoshop tool and I've used it since '93. I adore Photoshop. I am a power user. Those words aren't the words of a flippant newbie.

I know if I use it for 8 hours a day like you Noel, that I will get used to it, but that isn't the point.

The point is that I feel like I was hit with a poorly thought out tool, with a poorly implemented "Classic" mode that feels buggy, to say the least. It's usability doesn't "flow" because for example what genius thought of hitting the P key to go into Classic mode, when that conflicts with the Pen/Paths tool? Really? My deeper concern is that Photoshop is slipping on it's usability standards like Apple is on it's iPhones.  In the words of usability guru, Steve Krug "Don't make me think."

What I chose to do is this:

1)Grudgingly use CS6 for the things it does really really well. Can I just say I love the new Raw interface, and love "Clarity" for example? Great job guys. I watched a tutorial and got it almost instantly.

2)Continue to use CS5 for cropping lot's of images, something I also do a lot of.  Cross my fingers that whoever dropped the ball on this gets their act together and makes this tool truly usable and intuitive.   At the very least they will make the Classic mode work properly.  For example, why do I keep popping out of Classic mode? Why doesn't the preference stick consistently? There shouldn't be a learning curve this steep on a crop tool. I'm really surprised this didn't come up in usability testing. 

I hate being the first adopter, because they get to work out all the kinks for the people who failed to do their job in the first place. That's what feels like happened here.  If users don't complain and give feedback, Adobe will never fix the problem, right?

Now before somebody freaks out and calls this a flame, it isn't. No emotion is to be read into this that isn't expressly stated.  I'm not being sarcastic, sardonic or unfriendly. Whatever tone is being read into this is a projection of your own mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2012 Dec 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If "do this so eaaaasssssssyyyyyyy", like this do guys from video-tutorials on Adobe.tv, then it`s perfectly tool. But try to crop 1500-2000 images for a day! Because of the constantly moving images on the screen, after hour of work, you just boil you brains! Realy... try it yourself!

Again.. sorry for my english....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 04, 2013 Apr 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had successfully put off upgrading to CS6 until yesterday. A huge chunk of my time at my desk today has been spent trying to understand what in the world Adobe has done to make the simplest of tools--Crop--absolutely cryptic and barely functional. I know I'm late to the party here, but why in the world did they think this was an improvement? I have YET to actually crop anything using the crop tool. I can change the proportions of a file, but for the life of me I haven't been able to figure out any way, in "Classic Mode" or not, to actually CROP an image down to the size I choose.

Seriously...I am as yet undecided on whether "abomination" is a strong enough word for this tool redesign. What a colossal waste of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2013 Apr 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't agree more. I grown everytime I use the tool.

After 8 months with CS6 I still regularly lose time by getting the pen tool by mistake when using P shortcut for the crop tool.

Or, I lose the crop I just spent a lot of time deciding upon when a simple mistep collapses the image or rotates it.

Ira Kaufman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 22, 2013 Apr 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also work for a living using Photoshop.  I don't see how this CS6 crop tool is an improvement.

This morning I had to spend a extra hour going back and recropping images.

Having to move the image in the background rather than the tool in the foreground is not a good workflow for me.

And for some opaque reason, at least to me, I keep getting the wrong crop even if I save the custom settings - a real PITA

Were I asked for an actual improvement to Photoshop - I'd suggest a quick way to set image size & canvas size on one image and then have all my open images tiled to those same sizes. The Window -> Arrange -> Match All doesn't do it.

cvt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 22, 2013 Apr 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find the new crop tool easier and more functional than old CS5 way.

OTOH anyone who wants the old "classic" way has that option in CS6.

Seems like the best of both worlds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines