Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

External Monitoring in CS6

Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harm, I don't know if you remember me as I haven't been here since Premiere Pro 6.0, but I just upgraded to CS3 and now CS6.  These Adobe forums are so over-produced I can't find the correct place to post this question so I hope you will forgive me.  How do you get Premiere Pro CS6 to output to an NTSC monitor.  I was outputting to this monitor under CS3 by using a Grass Valley conterter box coming out of the system firewire, but it doesn't seem to work under CS6. 

Thanks, James

jjaeger@mecfilms.com

610-688-9212

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James,

Of course I remember you, although I admit I can't exactly remember what we discussed at that time.

Anyway, with CS6 it is a matter of setting the Preferences/Playback to Adobe DV, next to the regular monitors.

12-9-2012 23-23-12.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Harm.  That worked like a charm.

I plan on getting a large 1080p digital TV soon for display.  Is there any way to hook that up to the CS6 video display without having to go through either a DV camera or a Canopus converter box? 

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1080p TVs can usually be connected to most graphics card through a HDMI connector.  Then, the TV will act just like a second monitor (and you can specify that you want to use the second monitor for playback.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg,  Thanks for the input.  I am already running 3 - 27" ViewSonic monitors off a GeForce 660TI card. CS6 spreads out nicely across these monitors, however I also need to send just the PROGRAM MONITOR to an older external 52-inch TV.  Harm Millaard above suggested that I check "Adobe DV" in the Preferences/Playback and this worked but I can only fire up the external 52-inch TV by going out of the computer via firewire and into a standard DV camera and then out of the camera as composite video into a Grass Valley converter box and then out of the converter box to the external 52-inch TV via an S-video line.  When I simply connect a fire wire directly to the Grass Valley converter box and then out to the external 52-inch TV via the S-video - it doesn't work!  This is a mystery because everything worked fine with CS3.   Any ideas what's happening or would you suggest I simply toss the external 52-inch TV and get a new digital 1080p TV and go from there?  The 660TI video card has 2 DVI ports, an HDMI port and a Display port.  If I connect an external TV to the Display port (which is all I have left), will the TV show just the image on CS6's PROGRAM MONITOR?     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firewire output doesn't work with CUDA acceleration set to hardware - at least it didn't in CS5.5.

A Blackmagic Intensity Pro will enable you to output to a 4th monitor independently of the 660.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firewire output doesn't work with CUDA acceleration set to hardware - at least it didn't in CS5.5.

Correct, but that has been solved with CS6.

James, have you tried to connect the TV over HDMI direct to your 660? You may have to go to the nVidia control panel to get the settings right if the older TV has HDMI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Harm, I didn't know that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harm.  No I haven't tried that yet.  Older TV has no HDMI. 

The 660TI can handle up to 4 monitors and has four ports -- 2 DVIs, 1 HDMI and 1 Display.  One of the DVIs is an I and the other is a D.  When you plug in the monitors to the 660's ports (I have only plugged in 3 so far), the 660 senses the inputs and puts up a configuration menu.  The set up I have configured with the three monitors allows me to stretch an app across all three -- very useful with PPro as one can put the timetrack in the left monitor, the program monitor/clip bin in the center monitor and the effeects/audio panels in the right monitor.  Now all that needs to be done -- my current challenge -- is to send the program monitor alone out to a TV.  (At what point do we start calling TVs monitors and monitors TVs?!)  I am not so sure the 660 or nVidia control panel will allow one to do this because how are they to "know" WHAT or WHERE the PPro program monitor even IS.  Only PPro -- or some plug-in -- would "know" that, no?   If so, that puts the ball back into the Adobe court.

James 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2012 Nov 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!

I'm looking for somtehing like that.

I'm buying a new PC, and I'm not sure about which Video Graphic Card to buy.

I know now that I'll need an Nvidia to optimize Premiere Pro processeses, but which one to buy?

I've been working on three monitors: First and Second to spread Premiere, and the third one for showing me just the Program monitor. I've been using it in CS6 through Firewire but in SD of course... I'd like to update to CS6 and to be capable of seeing my third monitor in HD.

Which of the Nvidia cards will do this to me? Will the 660ti work?

The GTX680 is too expensive for me and I'm not sure about that either.

I just need to know about something that works for me and i'm done.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2012 Nov 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 660 Ti will do fine.

Monitor_setup_small.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harm

Is that your setup of the "monster" with the 680 card?

Can you tell me how your monitors are connected to whic output to the card - I am looking for something simmilar.

Is the screen on top timeline output? over HDMI?

Thanks

Ulf

Message was edited by: UlfLaursen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ulf,

Yes, that is the configuration of the Monster, the two Samsung monitors connected to the DVI ports and the TV above it connected over HDMI. It shows the timeline or the source monitor if that is active.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice, thanks Harm

/Ulf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Harm!

I had read before that Nvidia cards can't support more than 2 monitors, that's why I was not sure.

Is your PC setted up with a 660ti or a 680?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speccy_overview.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Now I understand why they call it "the monster"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2012 Nov 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all, and thanks to Harm,

I finally bought the GTX680.

I'll be trying and posting how it loooks like and how it works with 3 monitors.

I'll try if Firewire issues are gone too in CS6 while monitoring on an external device.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ordered the 670 4gb ver. 🙂

@ Harm

Do you know it the most recent Nvidia drivers are safe to use with the GTX 6x0 cards on Win 7? I take it that I must upgrade from 6 month ol drivers on my 570.

Thanks.

Ulf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ulf,

I have been using the 310.54 drivers both on my old machine with the GTX 480 and the new machine with the 680. I have not encountered any problem at all. Notice the old machine runs Win7 and the new one runs Win8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Harm 🙂

Ulf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harm,

I have now had a chance to familiarize myself with CS6 so here's a mini report.  It all works great!  Adobe did a nice job on CS6.  Stable, intuitive, everything seems to work well.  I have a few minor quibbles, but then I always do about everything.     I am using the Nvidia 660Ti card which supports 2 -DVI ports, 1- HDMI port and 1 video display port.  My sys is set up similar to what you have done in your picture in that I have plugged a Vewsonic monitor into each of the DVI ports and one into the HDMI port.  I have the display port left which I would ideally like to connect a 1080p TV to.  It looks like you have done this with your setup Harm.  Is this the case?  If so, did you get the program monitor out to your TV via the 660Ti or by some other method?

At present the only way I have been able to get my program monitor out of CS6 to an NTSC TV is via my DV camera.  Specifically, I am porting out of the CS6 system by firewire and into the camera, and then out of the composit video on the camera to an NTSC TV.  The image quality is okay (480p), but I'm looking for 1080p HD.  

James Jaeger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2012 Nov 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James,

The leftmost monitor in the picture is the one connected to my 'Beast' with the GTX 480, the rest is connected to my 'Monster' with the 680. Hooking them up is simple, 2 x DVI and 1 x HDMI, set your playback options and you are ready to roll.

If the need arises, I can also connect the topmost monitor, a LCD TV to the DV player, Panasonic NV-DV2000 on the lower right in the picture over Scart to the TV. The PC connection in that case is over FW.

I cannot confirm Sebas statements, as I have never had those problems with interlaced footage on my system. I do know there are numerous questions and complaints from people using Matrox/BM cards and I never felt the need to try out Matrox again, having been bitten once before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 21, 2012 Nov 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarifications Harm. Looks like you have put together an ass-kicking system. 

After some research, I have decided to go ahead and purchase the Black Magic Intensity Pro I/O Card w/ breakout cables.  Even though at least one poster here has warned about this card, it's only $189 with free shipping at BHPhoto.com.  This is worth the risk.  Besides, there are 201 reviews on this card and most of them are positive, some of them raves.  I will try to report back to this group my experiences with the card.  And if all works out, I will also try to post a photo of the new system I have built with specs.

James Jaeger 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 21, 2012 Nov 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James Jaeger wrote:

After some research, I have decided to go ahead and purchase the Black Magic Intensity Pro I/O Card w/ breakout cables.  Even though at least one poster here has warned about this card, it's only $189 with free shipping at BHPhoto.com.  This is worth the risk.  Besides, there are 201 reviews on this card and most of them are positive, some of them raves.  I will try to report back to this group my experiences with the card.  And if all works out, I will also try to post a photo of the new system I have built with specs. 

James, the one thing you have to test for as soon as you connect the card and install the drivers is A/V sync, which was my main problem with it. This was with Premiere CS6 first release, I don't know if now things may have improved with further Premiere and driver releases, but as of then it was impossible to work with. Either audio or video was like one second behind the other, I can't remember which, but I had to stop playback and restart for it to sync. And this happened all the time. I checked online and several users were having the same problem, so that, added to a abysmal performance I had had in 2010 with that same card and Premiere CS5 made me have a really bad opinion of the brand. Once I bought the MXO2 Mini Max, I had no sync problems at all. Just make sure you test it thoroughly while you are still able to return it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines