Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is CFMail and Mail (CFScript) the same?

Nov 23, 2012 Nov 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is CFMail and Mail (CFScript) the same.... Reason I ask, is we are having a tonne of email problems in our application.  A person on my team has indicated that cfmail is more reliable and all the cfsript, "mail" implementations remain largely undelivered.  For this reason they are requesting the we change everything from mail to cfmail.   Has anyone heard ot this before?  I've got to believe that under the covers these are running the same bits of code...?

CF10

RHEL 6.2

Thanks

Lee

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mail.cfc is just a wrapper for <cfmail>. By the time CF is running it, it's exactly the same code.

Mail.cfc is clear text, and can be found here: [coldfusion dir]/WEB-INF/cfusion/CustomTags/com/adobe/coldfusion/mail.cfc. Be warned... the code is awful and might cause your eyes to bleed.

It'd be great to hear the reasoning behind the suggestion that the [person] gave you.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol, Thanks Adam!

This is what he is observing...

---This issue lays outside our system.  Each mail sending mechanism results in a different SMTP message which gets routed differently.  We have issues with the reverse DNS lookup, the MX records, and other stuff.  If everything is correct and in place, it shouldn’t matter which mail mechanism we use in ColdFusion, but <cfmail> messages appear to be more successful in getting through.---

I'm going to try and confirm the nature of the DNS issues and other stuff, but still can't see these even routing differently based on what you are saying. 

Cheers

Lee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ldavis101 wrote:

Is CFMail and Mail (CFScript) the same....  I've got to believe that under the covers these are running the same bits of code...?

The intention is that they are the same under the covers. However, cfmail has been there for many years and so has been tried and tested. Whereas the cfscript mail functionality has yet to go through a period of teething and maturity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation