• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

bullet lists behaving strangely after generating projects in RH9

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2012 Nov 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a slight change in the projects Skin the bullet lists in all topics in all my projects has been changed so the space between bullet and text is gone (see picture) but modifying the Skind has never before affected the topics.

The bullet lists looks fine until I generate the projects???

And I haven't made any changes in the .css file!

Ikke-navngivet-1 kopi.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 28, 2012 Nov 28, 2012

The problem is your CSS and the reason you only see it in browsers is they cannot handle the errors. Here is the relevant bit. Your paragraph style (P.Steps) contains a list-style and your list style (Li.p-Steps) does not contain any list definitions.

P.Steps {

list-style: decimal;

margin-top: 4pt;

margin-bottom: 4pt;

color: #151515;

margin-left: -10pt;

background-color: #ffffff;

}

LI.p-Steps {

}

The problem is described on my site at http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/lists/lists.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2012 Nov 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way I can think of that modifying the skin would affect lists. Something else is at play here.

What version of Rh are you using and has that changed?

Do you have a backup you can restore?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2012 Nov 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter

I'm using RH9 and my projects are the ones you helped me to upgrade from RH7 to RH9. Most things have worked fine since then (exept publishing on RH Server 9 but that's another story).

I opened a backup project and generated it and the same contraction in the bullet lists occurred...

I tried to open another backup on my colleague's computer (she hasn't been working with RH9 yet) and after generating that project the contraction wasn't there... but no hurrah! when I generated one of the projects that I already had generated on my own computer and therefore contained the strange looking bullet lists the error was still there.

So it seems like my installation of RH9 is messing up the bullet lists!? - a have tried to make a few test projects with one topic (and I use a copy of the .css file that I created years ago when Matthew Ellison taught me how to use RH and create .css files) but bullet lists are contracted after generating - it is terribly annoying...

Ulrik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I getting this right? You open a project on colleague's machine it is OK, you then open it on yours and it goes belly up, you then open that version on colleague's machine and it is still wrong. In other words, any project opened on your machine goes wrong and stays wrong.

Where is the project situated? Local or network?

Does it occur with any output?

What happens if you try with one of the supplied CSS files?

You seem to have several threads running at the moment where the root issue is bullets. Let's stick with this one for now.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. You got it right
  2. Network
  3. It only occur in WebHelp output (the bullet lists works fine in Flash, HTML and Printed documentation)
  4. Bullet works fine in a new project with the default CSS file
  5. If I have more than this thread about bullets, it is a mistake - can a moderator close down threads?

î

And it seems bullet lists works fine in Adobe Community...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Response 2 is likely the answer.

Unless you are using RoboHelp 10, RoboHelp projects must be stored locally. See Item 26 at http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm#miscellaneous

I hear you say that the project works nicely on a colleagues machine. She could be on a different segment of the network or some other network related reason.

We will leave your other threads running until your project is local and behaving. If that resolves those issues too, we can mark the same answer.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, my backup projects are stored locally and when I open them from the !SSL! folder the problem is there and new test projects stored locally have also contractions in bullet lists after they are generated.

I myself are starting to get unwilling contractions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I myself are starting to get unwilling contractions..

If you are about to give birth, I will be your publicity agent. We can make a killing.

Meantime, please set up a one topic project with this problem. See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter

Well, I forgot there is another meaning to the word 'contractions'    I'm not about to become a World sensation

I've uploaded the project in a zip file and have pasted a link to this thread in the mail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2012 Nov 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction to the description of the problem:

Projects are not ok when opened on my colleague's computer - the topics we where looking at had bullet lists made 'manually' - not made by the CSS file - sorry!

Hope you didn't spend too much time on a wrong trail...

I have done some test but I can't figure out why it is only in WebHelp output the bullet lists are messed up!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries. Useful to know it is all machines. Should be able to look at this later today.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is your CSS and the reason you only see it in browsers is they cannot handle the errors. Here is the relevant bit. Your paragraph style (P.Steps) contains a list-style and your list style (Li.p-Steps) does not contain any list definitions.

P.Steps {

margin-top: 4pt;

margin-bottom: 4pt;

margin-left: -10pt;

background-color: #ffffff;

}

LI.p-Steps {

}

The problem is described on my site at http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/lists/lists.htm See the section on upgrading.

In this case I removed the redundant list-style from the paragraph style (highlighted blue) but the fix was the other highlighted line. You had applied a negative margin within the list so the browser moves the text 10pts left and then it bumps into the number.

Remove those lines and it generates OK.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2012 Nov 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter

You're a genius! 

Now I can publish my new topics without messing up the appearance of the WebHelp.

Wonder why the problem started, I checked my old RH7 projects CSS files and they contained the lines I now have removed. But most important, now it works!

Thank you very much for your effort in helping me out of the mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2012 Nov 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The answer is CSS is from Rh7 or earlier and contains code written in the old style that Rh used.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp