• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does my numbering keep resetting to roman numerals??

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2012 Nov 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I set the page numbering and save all files. This time I noticed that it reset after I saved my book as a PDF. ...it might have hapened before then, but this is when I noticed it, after I was reviewing my PDF.

The chapter numbers and part numbers reset too.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you setting the Document Numbering properties?

They can be set in both the book and in the component files, and can mismatch with varying resulting issues.

We usually set them in the component files, and then set the book to Read from File, for each property, for each component file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply!

I set them by right-clicking the file in my book and selecting Numbering.

Could you explain how I could set the numbering in the component files? I'm new to Framemaker, I've only been using it for a couple of months at work and don't know everything.

Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Settings in the book file always override those in the component files unless specifically told to use the component file setting (as Error does).

If your numbers are re-setting, are you saving your book file after making the changes? Do you also update/regenerate the book after making the changes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I definitely save all the files in my book (hold shift+click File, save all files)...not sure if I updated the book afterwards. I'll try that from now on.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

> Could you explain how I could set the numbering in the component files?

From the book menu, or by any means necessary, open the component file for edit.

Format > Document > Numbering

Set as desired. Save.

Setting these properties from the book menu is not fully stable in the FM7.1/Unix that we use, even though they are supposed to override each file's own settings, as Arnis points out. It usually works up until the first crash; then we get nuisance dialogs about mismatches. Setting files as files, and setting book to read-from, is much more robust in the face of our most common crash scenario (of the Error 7103 kind).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines