• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can cachedwithin use a variable?

Contributor ,
Nov 28, 2012 Nov 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to cache a query on our live web server, but not on our testing server (developers need to see changes realtime, but the public doesn't).

I tried something like this:

<cfif listfirst(servername,".") eq "test"><cfset cachetime = 5><cfelse><cfset cachetime = 0></cfif>

<cfquery name="GetContactInfo" datasource="MyDSN" cachedwithin=#createtimespan(0,0,cache,0)#">

SELECT....

But the results were unexpected (it didn't seem to work).

Is there a way to do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Nov 28, 2012 Nov 28, 2012

Try this:

<cfif listfirst(servername,".") eq "test"><cfset cachetime = createtimespan(0,0,0,0)><cfelse><cfset cachetime = createtimespan(0,0,5,0)></cfif>

<cfquery name="GetContactInfo" datasource="MyDSN" cachedwithin=#cachetime#">

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your coding does is the opposite of your stated intent. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I see.  His solution would have worked if he had not mixed up "test' and else. Good catch.

jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hah! This is what I get for typing on the fly and not reading it over.  But the general gist was conveyed.

12Robots, I hadn't thought to try it that way.  Lemme see how it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

<cfif listfirst(servername,".") eq "test"><cfset cachetime = createtimespan(0,0,0,0)><cfelse><cfset cachetime = createtimespan(0,0,5,0)></cfif>

<cfquery name="GetContactInfo" datasource="MyDSN" cachedwithin=#cachetime#">

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it seems to work (no errors) but the database is still getting hit like once per second for some reason.  I think either someone is reloading a page like crazy or I have another page that's hitting it with another query that I've forgotten about.

Maybe this will light a fire under their rears to get them to dump Access and get something real.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Access?  Please tell them, for me, that they should be embarrassed and ashamed. They clearly do not care about the site, the people who visit it, or the people who work on it.

Maybe they should jsut switch to shared hosting too.

Jason

P.S. Just to be clear, all you people that use shared hosting, I AM implying that if you use shared hosting that you don't care about your site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been bugging them to switch for years, but as with many things in government, glaciers move faster.

They have a MSSQL license.  Maybe someday they'll blow the dust off of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might have to undo all this, as the pages are now loading super slow.  It's a big query, and there are a lot of pages, and since the query is different for each page, I didn't see any sense in caching each individual iteration.  So I took out the "where" statements and cached the entire table, then did a QoQ to grab the page info.

I guess maybe the entire table (well, more than one since I have a few joined) was too much.  It's the only reason I can think of for the pages loading slowly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you bring too much data into ColdFusion, QofQ will get very slow.  Query execution time is only part of the process between the page request and the completion of the html rendering.  If you think it's too slow, find out why so you know what to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dan.

Tomorrow I'll throw a CFdump on the main query and the QoQ to see what the execution time looks like, then go from there.  I think between the fact that it's Access, and the fact that it's a lot of data (something like 8k rows) the two are conspiring against me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2012 Nov 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

BreakawayPaul wrote:

I'm trying to cache a query on our live web server, but not on our testing server (developers need to see changes realtime, but the public doesn't).

I tried something like this:

<cfif listfirst(servername,".") eq "test"><cfset cachetime = 5><cfelse><cfset cachetime = 0></cfif>

<cfquery name="GetContactInfo" datasource="MyDSN" cachedwithin=#createtimespan(0,0,cache,0)#">

SELECT....

But the results were unexpected (it didn't seem to work).

Is there a way to do this?

This code is good, except for typing errors! Simply supply the missing quotes and change cache to cachetime.

<cfquery name="GetContactInfo" datasource="MyDSN" cachedwithin="#createtimespan(0,0,cachetime,0)#">

SELECT....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation