Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH9 context sensitive help not working

Nov 27, 2012 Nov 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The RH9 source file shows MapIDs as associated with the appropriate topic files and topic file properties show associations with MapIDs but the final chm generated does not activate with F1 and no links are shown when verification attempted through CheckHelpLinks.  We recently upgraded to 9 and had no issues creating context sensitive files from previous RH versions so I am at a loss as to why this isn't working (especially given all associations are shown as 'complete' in the RH file). Any help appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 27, 2012 Nov 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What platform does your application uses?

Each MAP File can be exported to the application platform (say, C or Java), can you check with your developer if the Map File is references correctly?

You can test by Launching Application within RoboHelp and assign Map ID and Number to correct topics pointing to appropriate sections on Application.

Thanks,

Anjaneai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 28, 2012 Nov 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anjaneai,

The program is compiled in Visual Studio 2010. I've developed online help files for earlier versions of this same program in prior versions of RH with no linking problems.

I have checked with the programmer, and he has verified the Map IDs. I even tried linking to map IDs for portions of the program that have not changed across versions (and which were successfully linked before) with no success.

We've been trying to avoid launching the application within RH because the programmer (and the program) and I are at different office locations but sounds like that may be our best chance at a solution.

Thank you!

Jessica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If F1 isn’t even launching your help, then I’d say there’s an issue with how you’re calling it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

It only launches an error box stating "Failed to launch help."

Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by "how you're calling it"? Do you mean the map ID association with the topic? The help program does open to the correct (title) page when Help Topics is selected from the Command Menu of the program. 

Any guidance appreciated!

Thanks,

Jessica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean, what method are you using to launch the help – there’s a number of ways outlined in your CSH folder in your RH install – we use the JavaScript method to launch our Webhelp. I see that you’re doing CHMs – have you got around the security restrictions on CHM launching on servers? Check out Peter Grainge’s site (grainge.org) for info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 03, 2012 Dec 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

This reply from the programmer:

"These are the methods used – standard MFC Win32 app help handlers used by all applications built using Visual Studio

ON_COMMAND(ID_HELP, &CSys3wOIApp::OnHelp)

ON_COMMAND(ID_HELP_FINDER, &CSys3wOIApp::OnHelpFinder)

ON_COMMAND(ID_HELP_INDEX, &CSys3wOIApp::OnHelpIndex)

ON_COMMAND(ID_HELP_USING, &CSys3wOIApp::OnHelpUsing)"

Thanks,

Jessica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, doesn’t mean anything to me. Have you shown them the CSH methods that RH provides?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, I haven't forwarded the CSH content to the programmer yet as (1) I wasn't aware of it until you mentioned it, and (2) this is our fourth version of CS help and none of the previous versions have been a problem. I will forward the info to the programmer!

Thanks again for your help!

Jessica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a question (since I'm in a similar situation): What or where is "CheckHelpLinks" ?

--

Christoph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christoph,

The link I was sent for the program is the following:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/7997/Check-Help-Links-Tool

My understanding is that it shows all links (internal and external) made within a help file.

Hope that helps!

Jessica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp