Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best export settings for online video

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2011 Nov 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Im looking for some advice on the best way of exporting a sequence, keeping very high quality of the sequence, but not taking an age to upload them.

i have tried various settings but i seem to be having problems with either the file size being two big or the quality of my titles and logos in the video are grainy and low quality.

please advise as soon as possible!

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the H.264 codec, but keep in mind that:

You have to find a balance between Quality and Size that is good for you. Increasing the size means higher quality. Lowering the size means lower quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

I am very new to all of this, so just to be sure, when i select the output as H.264 how do i then adjust the balance of quality and size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you select H.264, you can adjust the parameters under the video tab, things like resolution, bitrate and framerate.

The determinants for size and thus quality, are duration, bitrate and framerate. Size = duration x bitrate x framerate.

1-11-2011 11-14-56.jpg

If you don't mind the encoding time, use Maximum Render Quality and possibly 2-pass VBR, that will give you the best quality within the size indicated but will take much more time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are presets for the common online video services. See this:

FAQ: How do I export a movie for YouTube, Vimeo...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the vimeo compression guidelines.

http://vimeo.com/help/compression

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2012 Nov 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to dig this old thread up, Ive read a lot online today, but each time I upload my video it looks rubbish on youtube!

I ended up (after much trial and error) going for cs6 h264 Youtube HD preset...

It looks perfect on my pc, but after uploading It looks shocking!?

I assume youtube is reenciding it for some reason...is it possible to stop this happening?

I would post a link, but its for a music video supposed to be released tomorrow morning...please HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H.264 using the YouTube preset works for me. Are you changing something? Yes, YouTube does reencode the video, but if you use their settings it seems to come out OK.

What is special about your video? Is it pretty much the video without much in the way of effects, or have you really gone all out on the effects? Are you editing/exporting at the maximum bit depth?

Can you upload a 10 second clip just to give us a chance to take a look? Maybe a still shot just to help us visualize the issue?

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Thanks,

It has a lot of magic bullet, and misfire vignette throughout, also snow using trap code particular in after effects, (the outdoor shots are imported after effects aep) also some speed change in places and a number of adjustment layers with various effects (blurs etc). So I guess pretty 'effect heavy'

But the exported video looks absolutely beautiful from a quality point of view on my pc, and I assumed once exported these effects are completely embedded in the file and so have no bearing if you we're to re encode it (maybe I'm wrong)

Bizarrely, I've checked it again this morning, and it looks much better!? Maybe YouTube takes a while to finish final encoding or something, but offers a lower res preview until complete?

Also having done some reading, I think maybe 720p is a better option rather than 1080 as this is ultimately what youtube encodes to (as far as I'm aware)

Really disappointed to have such an 'HD' video on my pc and pixelated video on YouTube!

I've seen some absolutely beautiful videos on YouTube over the years ( from a quality point of view) so it must be possible!

Thanks so much for your help, ill upload an example shortly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what its worth, the same video looks perfect on vimeo...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is certainly possible to get beautiful videos on YouTube. I believe that YouTube accepts 1080p and encodes it as 1080p or they would not provide that playback option.

I will admit that this one is professionally compressed, but this is a good example I think. Some of it loks great, some not so much.

You should be encoding at 8Mb/s for YouTube.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2012 Nov 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I'm expecting too much...as that video looks similair to mine from a quality point if view, on the opening fade up, you see blurry/pixels etc, and txt looks a bit dodgy...

I'm sure I've watched some recently that look 'properley' crisp...like TV...

Maybe I'm in a dream land again...

Ill try a couple of other things and then maybe just accept that bandwidth isn't up to my wishes just yet!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HAHAHA I am SUCH a tool....

How embarassing...

I just changed my youtube player from 360 to 1080p...what a dick!

Thanks for your help anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You ran into the same thing I run into all the time. Even if I set it to 1080p in the YouTube player, sometimes when I go full screen it reverts so I have to double check to make sure it is still at 1080p. And sometimes I have to restart the video to get it to clear up.

I mentioned that in another post somewhere in the last few days and forgot to do it here.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my experience, YouTube seems to deliver a certain video quality based on your internet connection (speed).  If you have a fast connection, you will probably get a better resolution, though I've never seen it deliver a 1080p version.  It is quite annoying since I haven't found any setting that allows you to set a default resolution to deliver.  We post our company videos to YouTube and our exports always look great, but then YouTube defaults to playing 360p. 

What's really funny is that some of our web videos are using footage from shoots that were shot at 4K, we down res to 1080p and then YouTube delivers at 360p!!  AHHH, so annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, personally I find Vimeo easier to work with and it plays nice with my Roku.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im glad Im not the only one 🙂

Indeed vimeo is much much better for filmakers...

Anyway, hes released it now, here's the video if anyones interested,

Thanks all for your help! This forum has helped me so much over the past few months (although it hasnt improved my editing as you can see here ;-)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For web videos you should use H.264. Depending on which platform you want to publish your videos (Vimeo or YouTube) the optimal export settings might change.

You could use a plugin like AfterCodecs that gives you tons of presets to chose from. That way you will always have the best possible settings for your videos.

https://www.autokroma.com/AfterCodecs

AfterCodecs gives you all the codecs you might need - like ProRes 422 / 4444 / XQ, all 4 HAP codecs and many more - in .MP4 and .MOV containers. It also gives you the best and fastest compression for H264 / H265 with a lot of customization like the ability to render in 8K, FileSize targeting, custom Framerate, custom Resolutions and youTube profiles. Plus it has some cool features like MultiRender Markers to batch export clips in PP and the ability to export all Audio tracks separately. I hope this was helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines