Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Index in merged webhelp does not display

Dec 15, 2006 Dec 15, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My development team is having problems getting the index to display on my merged webhelp project. They got it to display once, but when you click a topic, the index changes from the project index to the child index. The hel project is being put on a server, so this may be the problem, because if you install it on another computer it works, just not on the server. There project has been placed on2 servers--Windows and UNIX.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 18, 2006 Dec 18, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like your development team might be outsmarting themselves by eliminating what they feel are unnecessary duplicate folders and files. Each child project has its own set of whdata, whgdata, and whxdata folders, which must all appear in the output area. There are also several files in each child project that are mainly pointers to other files.

Ask them to stop.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yeah, I forgot...WebHelp is supposed to be viewed on a server, so that can't be it.

Good luck again,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should verify that you have built the merged package correctly, which results in a set of folders (Leon names them above) in the master project folder that contain data for only the master project, and a set of data folders of the same names in each subproject folder.

Your master project must have its own index, even if there's only one term.

WebHelp, in effect, combines the master index and sub-indexes when the launch page loads.

I haven't tried merging projects when one or more, but not all, had an index. I'm guessing you are missing a master index (unless Leon's hunch was correct, and someone moved or eliminated "redundant" files).

Please post back on your results.

By the way, are you saying Windows vs Unix seems to be the primary factor?

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, they can't get it to work on either one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the parent project also need 1 item in the TOC to get that to work as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the master TOC does require at least the project file entries for each child project (indicated by the icon that looks like a cubist euro).

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a master project with one topic, "Welcome to ......"
It's the first line in the TOC, followed by the subproject TOCs.
Maybe not necessary, but doesn't hurt.

The index entry is "welcome".
That's necessary.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 19, 2006 Dec 19, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Can you, on your own, simply copy your entire WebHelp output to a directory on the server, and test that?

I still think your peeps are doing bad things, but can't or won't own up to it.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp