Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe InDesign CS6 has stopped working

Nov 07, 2012 Nov 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Activated Creative Cloud membership a few days ago. Installed Indesign first and it worked fine. Installed all the rest of the applications and now InDesign no longer works. It starts up and goes through all of the initialization and then right after the opening dialog box where you select a file is displayed it crashes. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Same problem. Deleted all the preferences files. No change.

Interestingly, I tried running as administrator and it works just fine so it seems to be some sort of permission issue somewhere. Are there any logfiles that would log a permission issue? If so, which one(s)?

Also, InDesign CS4 works just fine on the same machine. All the other CS6 apps also work. It's only InDesign.  InDesign is the main application I use so I'd really like to get it working properly. For now, I'm OK to run as administrator, though.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2012 Nov 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Downloading, Installing, Setting Up forum. They will be able to help you here and will let you know if log files are needed to resolve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 29, 2012 Nov 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New info. I installed on a brand new machine and have the same problem. Indesign crashes right after it displays the opening dialog box. Other forum posts suggest it is due to a bad font file. I have not installed any new fonts on the system yet so I don't think that is it. As before, it runs fine if I do "run as administrator". Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update, sorry that it is still not working. Moving to the InDesign forum since you managing to install but failing with launch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Diamond Point Media wrote:

As before, it runs fine if I do "run as administrator". Please help.

That pretty much indicates some sort of permissions problem. Windows or Mac? On Windows it could be a permissions problem for a folder that ID needs to write in, or for a registry key. For Mac I think it can only be a folder problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. I figured it is some sort of permission issue. But how do I find it?

This is Windows 7 64bit on Dell Latitude E6430.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure which folders and registry keys are involved, but I know it's been discussed here before, so a forum search may turn up more specific information. This may well also qualify for free tech support as an installation issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 30, 2012 Nov 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded Process Monitor from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645 and captured all the output. Below are all of the ACCESS DENIED entries. I don't know how to change access to registry keys. However, interestingly, if I change the access to the files to give "Everyone" full access, they revert back to the prior access after I try to startup InDesign again. When I run as Administrator then I don't get these errors.

17:11.9InDesign.exe6232RegOpenKeyHKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432NodeACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Read/Write
17:14.6InDesign.exe6232RegCreateKeyHKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\WBEM\CIMOMACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Query Value, Set Value
17:14.6InDesign.exe6232RegCreateKeyHKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\WBEM\CIMOMACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Query Value, Set Value
17:14.6InDesign.exe6232RegCreateKeyHKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\WBEM\CIMOMACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Read/Write
17:14.6InDesign.exe6232RegCreateKeyHKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\WBEM\CIMOMACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Read/Write
17:17.8InDesign.exe6232CreateFileC:\ProgramData\regid.1986-12.com.adobe\regid.1986-12.com.adobe_V6{}AcrobatPro-AS2-Win-GM.swidtagACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Read Attributes, Read Control, Write DAC, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a
17:17.8InDesign.exe6232CreateFileC:\ProgramData\regid.1986-12.com.adobe\regid.1986-12.com.adobe_V6{}AcrobatPro-AS2-Win-GM.swidtagACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Read Control, Write DAC, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a
17:22.1InDesign.exe6232RegCreateKeyHKCR\InDesign.Application.CS6ACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: All Access
17:22.1InDesign.exe6232RegCreateKeyHKCR\InDesign.Application.CS6ACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: All Access
17:22.1InDesign.exe6232CreateFileC:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe PCD\pcd.dbACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Generic Read/Write, Disposition: OpenIf, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: 0
17:22.1InDesign.exe6232CreateFileC:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe PCDACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Read Attributes, Read Control, Write DAC, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a
17:22.1InDesign.exe6232CreateFileC:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe PCDACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Read Control, Write DAC, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a
17:22.1InDesign.exe6232CreateFileC:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe PCD\cacheACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Read Attributes, Read Control, Write DAC, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a
17:22.2InDesign.exe6232CreateFileC:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe PCD\cacheACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Read Control, Write DAC, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a
17:22.2InDesign.exe6232CreateFileC:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\caps\caps.dbACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Generic Read/Write, Disposition: OpenIf, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: 0
17:22.2InDesign.exe6232CreateFileC:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\capsACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Read Attributes, Read Control, Write DAC, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a
17:22.2InDesign.exe6232CreateFileC:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\capsACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Read Control, Write DAC, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a
17:23.0InDesign.exe6232RegOpenKeyHKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\ParametersACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: All Access
17:23.1InDesign.exe6232RegOpenKeyHKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\ParametersACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: All Access
17:26.0InDesign.exe6232RegOpenKeyHKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\CacheACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Query Value, Set Value, Create Sub Key, Enumerate Sub Keys
17:27.2InDesign.exe6232RegOpenKeyHKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\ParametersACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: All Access
17:27.2InDesign.exe6232CreateFileC:\ProgramData\regid.1986-12.com.adobe\regid.1986-12.com.adobe_V6{}AcrobatPro-AS2-Win-GM.swidtagACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Read Attributes, Read Control, Write DAC, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a
17:27.2InDesign.exe6232CreateFileC:\ProgramData\regid.1986-12.com.adobe\regid.1986-12.com.adobe_V6{}AcrobatPro-AS2-Win-GM.swidtagACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Read Control, Write DAC, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a
17:27.3InDesign.exe6232CreateFileC:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\caps\pdb.dbACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Generic Read/Write, Disposition: OpenIf, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: 0
17:27.3InDesign.exe6232CreateFileC:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\capsACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Read Attributes, Read Control, Write DAC, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a
17:27.3InDesign.exe6232CreateFileC:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\capsACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Read Control, Write DAC, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a
17:27.3InDesign.exe6232CreateFileC:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\caps\pdb.dbACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Generic Write, Read Attributes, Disposition: OpenIf, Options: Write Through, No Buffering, Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, AllocationSize: 0
17:27.3InDesign.exe6232CreateFileC:\ceProcesses.txtACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Generic Write, Read Attributes, Disposition: OpenIf, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: 0
17:27.5InDesign.exe6232CreateFileC:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\caps\pdb.dbACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Generic Read/Write, Disposition: OpenIf, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: 0
17:27.5InDesign.exe6232CreateFileC:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\capsACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Read Attributes, Read Control, Write DAC, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a
17:27.5InDesign.exe6232CreateFileC:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\capsACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Read Control, Write DAC, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a
17:27.5InDesign.exe6232CreateFileC:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\caps\Media_db.dbACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Generic Read/Write, Disposition: OpenIf, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: 0
17:27.5InDesign.exe6232CreateFileC:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\capsACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Read Attributes, Read Control, Write DAC, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a
17:27.5InDesign.exe6232CreateFileC:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\capsACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Read Control, Write DAC, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a
17:28.1InDesign.exe6232CreateFileC:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\caps\pdb.dbACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Generic Write, Read Attributes, Disposition: OpenIf, Options: Write Through, No Buffering, Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, AllocationSize: 0
17:28.2InDesign.exe6232CreateFileC:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\caps\Media_db.dbACCESS DENIEDDesired Access: Generic Write, Read Attributes, Disposition: OpenIf, Options: Write Through, No Buffering, Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, AllocationSize: 0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you can set permissions for registry keys by running regedit, locating the keys, right-clicking and choosing permissions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's any consolation, I just tried a new standard user test account, and it crashes here, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got rid of all of the registry errors but I can't get past the file system errors. The permissions get reset back to the original permissions when I try to start InDesign.

Just for the record, it works on XP. It doesn't work on Win7. Also, if I disable UAC then it works...but I'm assuming that is the equivilent of saying Run as Administrator and it is not the recommended security setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you tried going to the properties sheet for the .exe file and checking the Run This Program as Administrator box on the compatibility tab?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I am using as a workaround. But that trips UAC to prompt me everytime I start the program. I'd rather have Adobe fix it so that it works right to begin with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can certainly understand that. In your position I think I might try opening a support case through the portal (not the bug report form): Use the Adobe Customer Support Portal

No doubt they will ask for your credit card, but if this turns out to be some sort of bug, and I suspect it is (though very likely tied to a specific way some of us are configured since we don't get hundreds of posts saying ID won't run in a standard user on Win7), they should refund any up front charge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had another thought. I think my crash was in MSVCR100.dll (or some other version of MSVCR). I wonder if ID is looking for a newer version than some other application in the suite -- and this isn't restricted to the suite by the way, I'm using a standard Master Clooection install -- and an application installing after ID is overwriting the .dll with an older version. Reinstalling the .dll file from a microsoft download might solve that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's a thought. Now that I think of it, when I first purchased Creative Cloud the first thing I installed was ID. It worked fine the first time or two. Then I installed everything else and thats when it started. I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines