• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM 10 keyboard shortcuts: clear format overrides

Advisor ,
Nov 14, 2012 Nov 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so pleased to be back … FM is one of the platforms available at my new workplace, and I hope (of course) to introduce the tried and trusted FM/Acrobat workflow I've been used to elsewhere.

That aside, my first FM 10 question: the "clear overrides" shortcut – esc, o,c,m, was it? – seems to have been hijacked for content management options. Any hints on where how to access this function would be welcome, now I'm tidying up existing documents. Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2012 Nov 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Niels.

In FM10 this has been replaced by an option in the Find and Replace dialog. Check out the Overrides section at this link:

http://www.scriptorium.com/2011/01/framemaker-10-review/#high_4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 20, 2012 Nov 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Esc, o, c, p of course … now I've found my cheat sheet. And indeed, hijacked :-{ What's more, it appears at first glance that there is no keyboard navigation within the dialog box any more. Am I missing something, or will I end up with a hyperdeveloped right shoulder from Mac-like everything-by-mouse?  N

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2012 Nov 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Niels,

Klaus Daube has a list of commands (FM11, but it will apply to FM10 as well) at http://daube.ch/docu/files/etb-fm11-commands.pdf

Scott Prentice has a great utility ListShortcuts (http://leximation.com/tools/info/listshortcuts.php) that creates a document in table form showing all the FM commands and associated shortcuts in the currently installed version of FM.

There also are summary tables of most of the common shortcuts in the online & PDF documentation for FM10.

Unfortuantely, the esc o c p shortcut has been defined twice (bad Adobe, bad! - doesn't anybody QC these files???) in the \fminit\configui\cmds.cfg with the later one being the CMSPrefrence command. To get back the original CharacterDefaultPgfFont operation, simply comment out the section (or change the Key sequence definition):

<Command CMSPreference

<Label Preferences...>

<KeySequence \!ocp>

<Definition \x804>

<Mode All>>

located near the end of the cmds.cfg file (starts at line 4394 in my version) by placing a semi-colon in the first column of each "commented" line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 21, 2012 Nov 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic! thanks very much, Arnis … I'll start negotiations with IT to see whether they're minded to update the cmds.cfg. While they're at it, what do they need to adjust to get rid of the anxious Delete stack message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2012 Nov 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Delete stack message"

Are you referring to the Undo History messages? You can set this in your File > Preferences > Alert Strings... by turning off the "Show warnings while clearing history" option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 23, 2012 Nov 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the one! and changing a Preferences setting is easier than editing a config file …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 03, 2012 Dec 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pending negotiations with IT, though they've been helpful so far … I'm trying to get my head round the new-fangled Find/replace approach: without any noticeable success.

Consider the following case:

• I have a paragraph style for table anchors, called imaginatively :anchor
  • I have a character style for code snippets within a paragraph, called !xph (smile reminiscently if you recognise this as eXample PHrase)
  • Over-hasty copy/paste has given me an empty paragraph whose formatting displays in the status bar as ¶ :anchor f !xph (I've dropped a couple of colons here)

I use esc, h, p to select the paragraph, then go to the new beefed-up Find/replace dialog. Find 'Character Format Override', Change 'Remove Override', in selection, do it. No change in the status bar: still ¶ :anchor f !xph What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for hints and tips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the operation with format names that have no special characters like "!" and ":"?

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, because since I first discovered FM with 5.5 all my paragraph styles start with a colon and all my character styles with an exclamation mark  Time to call IT and have esc, o, c, p restored to the function nature intended …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2012 Dec 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Niels,

The Find/Change approach looks for overrides only, not tags (either defined in the catalog or not) to remove.

I tried your approach (tagged some characerts and then made a manual override elsewhere in the same paragraph) using a custom character tag (!mytag) and that worked properly (the override disappeared) in my version of FM11, i.e. the special characters do not affect the behaviour.

Why not simply delete the empty paragraph...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 04, 2012 Dec 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, yes … I did end simply deleting the empty paragraph; but I'll keep irritation at the new method up my sleeve for later :-} And I've sent my request into IT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines