• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 9 error reading data from .apj file (not rhvariable)

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2012 Dec 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On project start-up, I get the following: An error occurred while trying to read data from Y: (the shared area of my hard drive)\Help\RHWordDocs.apj <3>. My project was generally acting buggy the last few days (shutting down/not responding when I tried to update linked Word files), so I restored an earlier version of my xpj from before last publication (when things were working better) and all of the linked docs--just in case I had picked up some strange corruption. Now it works OK--it will let me update files, save, etc., but I still get this error. Is it something to worry about? I am planning to upgrade to RH10 on a new computer, and I don't want to port over a corrupted project! If so, how do I fix it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2012 Dec 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp 10 is the first version of Rh that is supported to run projects on a network without source control. Your version like all previous versions for the last twenty years will not run on a network and you will get corruption.

What do you mean when you say "I restored an earlier version of my xpj"? If you mean that literally, you cannot copy just that file. You have to copy the whole project. However, if that was on a network, the damage may be done.

Move it to your local drive and pray it will still work.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Ah, the fine art of Robo source file hacking

A few questions:

- Did you delete the CPD before opening your project?

- Are the linked Word-documents still linked to the project or have you lost them?

- Can you share the apj with us? (Please don't post its contents as it may be very long.)

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanksand here are some answers: 1) No, I did not delete the CPD. I had read mixed results about it and, because I honestly don't know what it is, I was nervous about doing it. However, I did make a copy and save it off in case I do need to try it. 2) The Word docs still show up in the projectthough a couple ended up with images in strange placesand the broken links I had seen before I restored the old docs and XPJ went away, too. 3) the apj file is called RHWordDocs.apj and it is 4 KB in size. It appears to be something created by RHperhaps to manage the links to Word?, since I did not name any files or folders that way. Also, all of my issues began with some failed attempts to update linked Word docs via Project Managernot responding and shutting down mid-update. Hope this helps you see where I amI appreciate your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your last two replies are full of text with strikethrough applied. Not sure what you are trying to see.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The text reader apparently doesn't like dashes and reads them as strikethroughs, so here it is again. Hope more readable now:

Thanks for the quick reply, and the project is only on my hard drive, running from a virtual PC (via Parallels) on a Mac. I had read early on that a network won't work, so I keep it on my hard drive and manually publish it to a server. When I "restored," I used Time Machine to return to the version of the XPJ and the linked Word docs I had used last week for my last successful publication, and things definitely improved as a result, other than this error and a few images that popped up in the wrong place. My husband is telling me that, since the vast majority of my work was in authoring the Word docs themselves, maybe I should just rebuild the project in RH10 on the new computer, relink to the source docs, restock the glossary, etc. I guess that's what I want to know. Is it likely that my project is corrupted somehow? Would starting over in RH10 be a good idea? I am not in a terrible rush to publish again and I will be paid for my time to do this. Mostly I want it to work smoothly, as I will soon be turning it over to my clients to maintain and update. P.S. I did open a sample project without difficulty, even when I was having issues with this one, so the issues do appear to be project-specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought I'd give an update and save anyone spending more time on this. Everything seems to be working today, from opening the project error-free to updating files through generating WebHelp. Perhaps restoring previous elements of the project via Time Machine fixed it. The only other variable was that today I shut down all other applications before launching RH. I realize I may be taxing my PC's memory, which is part of the reason I am getting a new one. It is possible that my crashes and whirling beach balls were the result of maxing out my machine. Anyway, thanks for the interest and support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow! You have a time machine! From eBay?

Glad problem resolved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about the strikethroughs. Hope this is better:

Thanks, and here are some answers: 1) No, I did not delete the CPD. I had read mixed results in the forums about it and, because I honestly don't know what it is, I was nervous about doing it. However, I did make a copy and save it off in case I do need to try it. 2) The Word docs still show up in the project, though a couple ended up with images in strange places, and the broken links I had seen before I restored the old docs and XPJ went away, too. 3) the apj file is called RHWordDocs.apj and it is 4 KB in size. It appears to be something created by RH, perhaps to manage the links to Word?, since I did not name any files or folders that way. Also, all of my issues began with some failed attempts to update linked Word docs via Project Manager--not responding and shutting down mid-update. Hope this helps you see where I am. I appreciate your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply, and the project is only on my hard drive, running from a virtual PC (via Parallels) on a Mac. I had read early on that a network won't workso I keep it on my hard drive and manually publish it to a server. When I "restored," I used Time Machine to return to the version of the XPJ and the linked Word docs I had used last week for my last successful publication, and things definitely improved as a resultother than this error and a few images that popped up in the wrong place. My husband is telling me that, since the vast majority of my work was in authoring the Word docs themselves, maybe I should just rebuild the project in RH10 on the new computer, relink to the source docs, restock the glossary, etc. I guess that's what I want to know. Is it likely that my project is corrupted somehow? Would starting over in RH10 be a good idea? I am not in a terrible rush to publish again and I will be paid for my time to do this--mostly I want it to work smoothly, as I will soon be turning it over to my clients to maintain and update. P.S. I did open a sample project without difficulty, even when I was having issues with this one, so the issues do appear to be project-specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp