MBRESMPF.MBDCD,

UCase(COMITEPF.CMNAM) AS COM,

MBRESMPF.MBMRC,

UCase(RANKSPF.RKDSC) AS Rank,

MBRESMPF.MBRPT,

MBRESMPF.MBESC,

MBRESMPF.MBERP,

UCase(DIVISNPF.DVNAM) AS DIV

FROM MBRESMPF INNER JOIN RANKSPF ON MBRESMPF.MBMRC = RANKSPF.RKCDE LEFT JOIN COMITEPF ON MBRESMPF.MBCYR = COMITEPF.CMCYR AND MBRESMPF.MBCCD = COMITEPF.CMCCD AND MBRESMPF.MBDCD = COMITEPF.CMDCD LEFT JOIN DIVISNPF ON MBRESMPF.MBDYR = DIVISNPF.DVDYR AND MBRESMPF.MBDCD = DIVISNPF.DVDCD

WHERE MBRESMPF.MBMRC <> 'ORCDVPRN4' AND MBRESMPF.MBMRC <> 'ORCIPDRNS' AND MBMID = #id_number#

ORDER BY MBRESMPF.MBMID, MBRESMPF.MBCYR DESC

UNION SELECT MBRESMPF.MBMID,

MBRESMPF.MBCYR,

MBRESMPF.MBDCD,

MBRESMPF.MBDCD,

UCase(DIVISNPF.DVNAM) AS COM,

MBRESMPF.MBMRC,

MBRESMPF.MBRPT,

MBRESMPF.MBESC,

MBRESMPF.MBERP,

FROM MBRESMPF INNER JOIN RANKSPF ON MBRESMPF.MBMRC = RANKSPF.RKCDE LEFT JOIN DIVISNPF ON MBRESMPF.MBDYR = DIVISNPF.DVDYR AND MBRESMPF.MBDCD = DIVISNPF.DVDCD

WHERE MBRESMPF.MBMRC = 'ORCDVPRN4' OR MBRESMPF.MBMRC = 'ORCIPDRNS' AND MBMID = #id_number#

ORDER BY MBRESMPF.MBMID, MBRESMPF.MBCYR DESC

</cfquery>

But I receive the following error message:

Error Diagnostic Information

ODBC Error Code = 37000 (Syntax error or access violation)

[IBM][iSeries Access ODBC Driver][DB2 UDB]SQL0199 - Keyword UNION not expected. Valid tokens: FOR USE SKIP WAIT WITH FETCH OPTIMIZE.

The error occurred while processing an element with a general identifier of (CFQUERY), occupying document position (19:1) to (22:23).

This query works for me no problem in Microsoft Access.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 04, 2012 Dec 04, 2012

I'm surprised it works in Access, but in my experience a UNION query usually expects a single ORDER BY at the end (so the one recordset that is the result of the union is ordered, not each recordset that contributes to the union)?  I'm not in a position to test this right now though, sorry.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2012 Dec 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm surprised it works in Access, but in my experience a UNION query usually expects a single ORDER BY at the end (so the one recordset that is the result of the union is ordered, not each recordset that contributes to the union)?  I'm not in a position to test this right now though, sorry.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your response.  I tried removing the second Order by and am still receiving the same message.  It seems to be bombing out as soon as it reads the UNION SELECT part.  Almost like it can't interpret what UNION means and is expecting another value as it lists OR USE SKIP WAIT WITH FETCH and OPTIMIZE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the first ORDER BY that might be the problem, not the second one.  As Adam pointed out, in MS SQL you can only have one ORDER BY and it has to be after any UNIONs.  What database are you using?  I might make some deductions from the name of your datasource, but ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the FIRST one that could be the problem, not the second one.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed the first one and now I receieve a different error:

ODBC Error Code = S1000 (General error)

[IBM][iSeries Access ODBC Driver][DB2 UDB]SQL0197 - Column MBMID cannot be qualified.

The error occurred while processing an element with a general identifier of (CFQUERY), occupying document position (19:1) to (22:23).

Any ideas?  Thank you both so much for the help you have given thus far!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My idea is to start small and grow slowly.  Start again by selecting a field from a single table.  Once you have that working, make it a union query.  Once you have that working, add fields one by one until you are done.  Any errors will be due to the most recently added field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all for your input.  I have it working now:

<cfquery name="committee_record"

datasource="AS400a CMTLIB"

maxrows=100

dbtype="ODBC">

SELECT MBRESMPF.MBMID,

MBRESMPF.MBCYR,

MBRESMPF.MBCCD,

MBRESMPF.MBDCD,

UCase(COMITEPF.CMNAM) AS COM,

MBRESMPF.MBMRC,

MBRESMPF.MBRPT,

MBRESMPF.MBESC,

MBRESMPF.MBERP,

FROM ((MBRESMPF INNER JOIN RANKSPF ON MBRESMPF.MBMRC = RANKSPF.RKCDE) LEFT JOIN COMITEPF ON (MBRESMPF.MBCYR = COMITEPF.CMCYR) AND (MBRESMPF.MBCCD = COMITEPF.CMCCD) AND (MBRESMPF.MBDCD = COMITEPF.CMDCD)) LEFT JOIN DIVISNPF ON (MBRESMPF.MBDYR = DIVISNPF.DVDYR) AND (MBRESMPF.MBDCD = DIVISNPF.DVDCD)

WHERE MBRESMPF.MBMRC <> 'ORCDVPRN4' AND MBRESMPF.MBMRC <> 'ORCIPDRNS' AND MBRESMPF.MBMID = #id_number#

UNION SELECT MBRESMPF.MBMID,

MBRESMPF.MBCYR,

MBRESMPF.MBCCD,

MBRESMPF.MBDCD,

UCase(DIVISNPF.DVNAM) AS COM,

MBRESMPF.MBMRC,

MBRESMPF.MBRPT,

MBRESMPF.MBESC,

MBRESMPF.MBERP,

FROM ((MBRESMPF INNER JOIN RANKSPF ON MBRESMPF.MBMRC = RANKSPF.RKCDE) LEFT JOIN DIVISNPF ON (MBRESMPF.MBDYR = DIVISNPF.DVDYR) AND (MBRESMPF.MBDCD = DIVISNPF.DVDCD))

WHERE (MBRESMPF.MBMRC = 'ORCDVPRN4' OR MBRESMPF.MBMRC = 'ORCIPDRNS') AND MBRESMPF.MBMID = #id_number#

ORDER BY MBCYR DESC

</cfquery>

I ended up removing the first ORDER BY portion as was suggested here.  I also had to add a few () in certain places.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation