• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Answers to common Bridge problems.

Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2012 Feb 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are user-submitted answers to common Bridge problems.

I invite all suggestions to addition/corrections/improvements.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No thumbnails in Bridge.

Make sure that Camera Raw is correctly installed.

In Photoshop, go to Photoshop/Help/About Plug-ins/Camera Raw (pc) or Photoshop/About Plug-ins/Camera Raw (mac), it should give you its version number

Check that you are using the current version of Camera Raw:

Camera Raw plug-in installer (for CS6 and CC)

CS5 and earlier:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Windows (PC)

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Macintosh (Mac)

Make sure that there is only one instance of Camera Raw installed in the correct location:

(check in the path if another version has not been moved by accident)

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats (PC) (note that common files is localized on non-English installs)

Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CC/File Formats (Mac) (Library being the one at the root of your hard drive)

Purge the Cache through Tools/cache/purge cache for xxx folder

UPDATED 20180305

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Troubleshooting Bridge.

Check in Bridge>About Bridge (Mac) or Help>About Bridge (Win) that you are using the latest version of Bridge: (you can do that in the Creativ Cloud application) 

(updates, up to CS6)

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=108&platform=Macintosh (Mac) or http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=108&platform=Windows (PC)

Reset Bridge by holding Option(Mac) or Ctrl (Pc) as soon as you click on the icon to start it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photo Downloader freezes when Selecting Folder (CS5)

Update Camera Raw to 6.6, there is a bug in 6.5 that causes the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

White Labels instead of colored ones.

You updated from another version of Bridge, or have attributed labels in Lightroom where the labels had another name.

Make sure that you attribute the same name to the labels in Edit>Preferences>Labels (Pc) or Bridge>Preferences>Labels (Mac)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2014 Nov 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pierre Courtejoie wrote:

White Labels instead of colored ones.

You updated from another version of Bridge, or have attributed labels in Lightroom where the labels had another name.

Make sure that you attribute the same name to the labels in Edit>Preferences>Labels (Pc) or Bridge>Preferences>Labels (Mac)

Changing the label names causes the same problem for attributed labels.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to - Reset Bridge by holding Option(Mac) or Ctrl (Pc) as soon as you click on the icon to start it.

ADD -  If done properly you will get a reset window with 3 options.

Note:  Uninstalling are reinstalling Photoshop wll not affect the preferences file.  If there were errors there before they will still be there after a re-install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2013 Jul 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2014 Aug 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you fixed my problem, yay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No thumbnails in Bridge.

This is all good stuff, PE, but it does not stress that people using Bridge versions older than CS5 might not be able to view thumbnails for more modern cameras, unless they are converted to DNG using DNG Converter.

This Adobe document states which minimum version of Camera Raw supports your camera, and this Adobe document states which versions of Camera Raw are supported by your Adobe product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another FAQ is about image thumbnails not looking like the camera JPEG.

In the case of raw files, extreme non-standard develop defaults can generate strange HQ thumbnails/previews, as can bad monitor profiles in Windows.

Bridge can be configured to display thumbnails using the embedded JPEG, or generate an HQ thumbnail/preview, automatically or on demand (toolbar).

Many users do not understand that the embedded JPEG represents the manufacturers' processing of the raw data, which may be using non-standard in-camera picture rendering settings which are unread by Adobe. This is one explanation of why embedded thumbnails can be so different from HQ thumbnails/previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cache is confusing to many.  Here is what I understand.

There is a Central Cache which is the main cache and always active.

If you choose the option to Export Cache to Folder the Central Cache stays active, so now you have 2 cache locations for each folder.

If you choose purge cache from edit/preference/cache you only purge cache the central cache.

To purge the Central Cache AND the Folder Cache you have to use Tools/Cache/Purge Cache for xxx folder.

Compacting cache in cache preferences is a good idea as it gets rid of trash.  When you click on it wait awhile as it can take a minute or so to start working, and can take several minutes to finish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 02, 2012 Dec 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still uncertain about what all this means.

1) Why have two locations?

2) If I delete the files in App Data>Roaming>Bridge>Cache, which is now over 22G, what would be the result, since I do have the second cache set? I was under the impression that Export Cache  to Folder stops the buildup of central, but it doesn't.

3) I watched the Central cache while purging, and aside from a blink of the screen, nothing changed. Same was true for compacting.

4)The jpegs are all slightly less than 1MB in size. Why so large? Can anything be done to change that?

5) I notice that there are several folders in Cache, two prominent folders seem to indicate the bit size of the contents: 1024 and 256. 1024 is the biggie, but there is content in 256. So what is the determination here? The jpegs in folder 256 are 39KB or so, not the nearly 1 M, but looking at the files, I don't see any problems with the 256 folder files, at least visually.

I would rather not have to invest in a bigger drive (although it is tempting as an excuse to go SSD!) so I need more intel on these matters.

Thanks!

Lawrence

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hudechrome wrote:

5) I notice that there are several folders in Cache, two prominent folders seem to indicate the bit size of the contents: 1024 and 256. 1024 is the biggie, but there is content in 256. So what is the determination here? The jpegs in folder 256 are 39KB or so, not the nearly 1 M, but looking at the files, I don't see any problems with the 256 folder files, at least visually.

I think the jpegs in 256 folder are thumbnail images that Bridge displays in Content (tab), and the 1024 folder jpegs are preview image files that Bridge displays in Preview (tab) and when viewing selected image(s) from content (such as by pressing space bar).

There can be another cache folder <full> that will contain folders of full-size jpeg image files if any have been produced and cached (such as by checking Bridge Cache Preferences: Keep 100% Previews In Cache).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. I have it but it is just under 1G. I'm concerned about the 1024.

I unchecked "Keep 100% Previews..." in Prefs, did a purge and observed very little, if any file size change in the Active Cache on C drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do not want to keep full sized previews you can just erase the <full> folder or selectively erase folders in <full>.  Also you can selectively erase older large folders in <1024> folder.  Bridge will rebuild its cache folders if and when they are needed (albeit you'll have to wait for the preview extractions whilst Bridge is doing this).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I surmised this to be true. Just wanted a verification

Well, I guess I go order another drive. Maybe a hybrid instead of a full SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 04, 2012 Dec 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'256' contains jpeg thumbnails 256 pixels, longest side

'1024' contains jpeg previews, either 1024 or display width, longest side, depending on your setting in preferences (use monitor-sized previews). If using monitor-sized previews, these get bigger for bigger displays (obv).

'full' contains 100% jpeg previews, generated on the fly, or every time, again depending on your set preferences. Obviously, these are going to be big for downloaded high MP camera images.

Any of these can be deleted at will, without causing application problems - they are just regenerated if they are missing.

You can Compact Cache from Bridge preferences, and this removes orphaned cache images (allegedly).

The purpose of exporting cache to folders is that folders can then be shared and previewed without the recipients having to generate their own caches. It does not replace the central cache.

Finally, if you decide to change the location of your Bridge cache, the old cache will be left untouched and should be deleted to save space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Yammer P

I recently changed HD storage Configurations and for some reason, I neglected to redo the Cache. I don't know all the reasons behind the happening, but even though I have my Cache set to a different HD than C, the Cache in C started building again and the Cache in N was pretty empty.

So I deleted Cache in C, purged the system and opened a folder in Bridge. It built the Cache correctly in N and C has no Cache Folder.

What is curious is that there are identical files in 256 and 1024. Bridge has been reset unchecking 100% and Checking Monitor sized in Advanced. I would have expected either/or between 256 and 1024, but not both. So I am not clear on that aspect. Why both?

I have "Automatically Export...." checked as well but from your description, since I am not doing file sharing, it seems redundant to do so, and also bloating those folders, unless having the cache located in the associated folder also speeds up access in Bridge.

Bridge has been a set it and forget it process here, and the effect was to forget everything, including how (and why!) to configure it correctly!

So now I am not needing that new drive!

Message was edited by: Hudechrome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hudechrome wrote:

What is curious is that there are identical files in 256 and 1024. Bridge has been reset unchecking 100% and Checking Monitor sized in Advanced. I would have expected either/or between 256 and 1024, but not both. So I am not clear on that aspect. Why both?

Are the files in 256 and 1024 identical files (same file size) or identical file names?

Bridge uses both 256 and 1024: it will use the files in 256 for thumbnails in Content tab display, and use the (usually larger) files in 1024 to display images in Preview tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Identical file names, and you explained it.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even though I have embedded thumbnails checked I have files in 256 and 1024.  Assume like Robert this is to display images in preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thumbnails don't show raw edits.

If you use embedded thumbnails they are the smallest file size and fastest to load.  But they wll not show edits to raw images.  Edits will show in preview.

The embedded jpeg thumbnail is generated by the camera no matter what format you shoot in. 

Using 100% previews can take a lot of disk space and take time to generate so evaluate your needs vs resources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thumbnails show correctly for a second then becomes - dull, oversaturated, bad color, etc.

At first you are seeing the embedded thumbnail, then you get the thumbnail generated by Adobe camera raw.  Raw is the correct term as it is unprocessed when shot and you have to set the proper default settings to generate thumbnail and image.  Here is an excellent article that describes how to take control of auto function in camera raw. LINK

Also, in edit/camera raw preferences there options for defalult settings that should be considered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot update Bridge - Message to close Bridge after you have exited Bridge - Most recent folder not retained

Check to see if Bridge has been set to start at with system start.  Uncheck Preferences > Advanced > Start Bridge at Login; then reboot computer.

OR open Task Manager, click on the Processes Tab and look for any instance of bridge.exe.  If found, close.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines