• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS6 Much Slower than CS5.5

Participant ,
May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Premiere Pro CS6 for Mac and moved an existing project from CS5.5.  The clips are all After Effects compositions, some with elaborate effects. I imported them into AE6 from AE5.5 prior to bringing them into CS6 so they would interact between AE6 with PP6 via Dynamic Link.

CS6 is painfully slow on my machine. Even just dragging a clip from the Project window to the timeline results in a spinning beachball that stays on screen for over a minute before allowing me to position the clip. Playing the timeline also takes forever. Rendering the work area is slow too -- and that's when it works. Some clips render for a while and then crash out with an "unknown" compiling error.

I'm running a Mac Pro from 2011, 6 Core, 32 GB RAM, stock ATI Radeon card, Raid-0 across 3 2TB 7200 RPM drives and a solid state 200MB drive for software and some scratch files. Latest versions of both OSX and Premiere Pro.

The reason I upgraded to CS6 was to gain speed. So far CS5.5, set up in pretty much in identical fashion, was way faster and less problematic.

Can anyone offer advice?  I've scoured this forum and the web and have come up empty.

Thanks!

Gene

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

genefama try turning off your cache in AE's preferences, it won't fix the dropped frames but playback w/i PPro will be more tolerable.

I am experiencing the same problem on my Win7 machine.  It appears that when the cache is enabled in AE, that AE task kicked off by PPro will always re-renders the files during each playback even if nothing had changed.  From the perf monitor in windows it doesn't like the cache in AE is even being looked as I see constant disk writes to the cache directories each time I do a play in PPro.

repro:

with cache enabled in preferences in AE and dropped frames indicator enabled in the Program Monitor.

create PPro project.

import AE comp,

place AE comp on timeline.

press play button on program monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

StevRo,

Thanks for the response, that feels like what might be happening. I'll test it. 

I couldn't follow the "repro" part of your note and everything after it. Did you add it so that people can reproduce the problem? Also, I should point out that this happens whether or not After Effects is open. I often close AE when working in Premiere Pro, and the same slowness occurs.

If the cache in After Effects is the problem and it didn't occur in CS5.5, this would seem like something Adobe should fix.  I'm still wondering if there's something I'm doing wrong though (like maybe an After Effects project needs to be RAM previewed or something like that before being placed into PP?).

g

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gene,

re repro:  Yes.

re cache:  agree.

I don't believe you are doing anything wrong, I tried doing a ram preview within after effects on the comp I mentioned in the repro steps and it didn't seem to make any difference, it still continued to re-render the frame despite showing a green cache bar in After Effects..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks StevRo,  While we were chatting, Premiere Pro CS6 took 2 1/2 hours to render half of a 112-frame clip.  It's predicting another 2 1/2 hours to finish, but dimes-to-dollars it'll run into a compile error first.  Maybe I need to change my media and/or memory preferences.  Or go back to CS5.5. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm having the exact same problem with Premiere CS6. Playback from the timeline is SO much slower and choppy-er than it used to be in CS5.5 running on the same machine. After using CS6 for one morning I had to switch back to CS5.5. Huge disappointment.

Just for reference I'm on a 2012 Macbook Pro with 8GB RAM, 2.4GHz quad-core Intel i7, AMD Radeon HD 6770M, Lion OS 10.7.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Gene,

Thought I would pass this along as it might help with your scenario.  I installed the 6.0.1 patches for PPro & AE and it looks like some of the re-rendering issues were addressed.  I noticed when I updated the comps from 5.1 -> 6.0 and reimported them back to Premiere Pro, the comps weren't being re-rendered everytime with each playback.  Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks StevRo,

I imported the clips into AE CS6 before and after the patch. It's true the project seemed to work and render better when reconstructed as a new project in the patched version, and with no audio. But this is a painstaking process and error prone as my clip lengths don't match my audio and are hard to reconstruct.  And even then, when a render gets interrupted or some other innocuous thing happens, my clips will drop offline. Then when I re-open the project, they reappear, but clips that previously went through slow "render work area" processes and were green will show as red, unrendered. Other clips will show as offline and will need to be relinked.  When they are, they knock the successfully-linked clips offline.  It's like a Rubik's cube. It seems like it has to do with Dynamic Link.

Whatever the cause, it's a time-suck.

g

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far, I'm seeing CS6 as noticeably faster with most things.  The one thing I've found where it's slower is using AVCHD spanned clips.  (Adobe is aware of that and working on it.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, 

How does your system differ from mine?  Is it a Mac Pro?  Do you have a CUDA-enabled card?  SSD?

Thanks,

g

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it a Mac Pro?

God, no.  Windows 7 baby!

Yes to CUDA, no to SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genefama, I guess I already knew people were experiencing this issue. I did read the previous statements on the thread. Just a mindless outro to my rant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elijah,

No problem. Maybe Adobe will answer if it doesn't look like I'm alone.

g

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using AE CS6 and am trying to do a simple animation using 4 different PNG files that are approximately 720p. It is horrendously slow for some reason. Every time I modify ANYTHING I have a painfully slow render process. The only time it does a reasonably fast RAM preview is if I set it to "fast preview" mode. My computer is an iMac, 16gb of RAM, 3.4GHz Core i7, with the AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB graphics card. I saved it out as a CS5.5 file to see if it works better on the old version and it does... Is there some bug or setting that Im missing? CS6 is obviously a pretty expensive investment and its currently unusable. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,

I'm happy for you! Now, is there anybody who can help the rest of us to have an experience more like Jim's?

g

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elijah.

Yes, others are experiencing it,  Hence the thread.

g.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found Premiere Pro CS6 to be SUPER slow, I had a few clips of video totaling less than 6 minutes, using all default settings, a "render entire workarea" claimed to take several hours (estimated time left) and after more than 1 hour, it hung!

while doing the same files on CS 5.5 took about 1 minute! What's going on? this is not using AE or anything else, just video clips from a camera. Very disappointed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elijahvictorious,

Please post AE issues in the AE forum.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

Elijah's point seems relevant to this discussion because it shows that the problem isn't isolated to one component of CS6.  It also might be relevant for the reasons StevRo discusses above. The products are supposed to be integrated, right?  Plus, I doubt that Adobe wants threads like this popping up on all its forums but that's a different matter.

g

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I needed to add a small edit to a recent project, and I like to work w/the latest, so I imported a CS5.5 project into CS6 to check it out (FileA).

Premiere Pro CS6 playback was much worse than CS5.5.

Win7Pro x64, i7 12 core processor, 24 GB

Just for yucks I tried this twice, both times starting with my CS5.5 file.  The second time I transferred all the files to an SSD drive and opened the CS5.5 file in CS6 without making any edits.  Playback seemed to have improved significantly.  However, when I open FileA from the SSD drive, playback is still very bad.

FWIW, When I playback the rendered video in the VLC player, there are audio dropouts.  This doesn't occur in QT or WMP, but it didn't occur in files saved from CS5.5 and played in VLC.  I noticed further that when I set the min/max bitrate to 6 Mbps, the final mp4 is at 6Mbps, where in CS5.5 it was generally around 4Mbps (accuracy is a good thing).  I'm using same settings as I used in 5.5 except that in CS6 audio output panel, 'Frequency' is called 'Sample Rate'.

@Elijahvictorious:

How did you save as CS5.5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I simply went to file/ save as/ save as cs5.5 copy. Im not sure if this can be done in Premiere as I was in After Effects but I would imagine that they would put the same function there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, they don't have it in PPro.

I have to edit my post:

I realized that after transferring my project to my SSD drive, all the files were still pointing to my SATA drive.  After forcing PPro to replace the files with the copies on the SSD drive, playback is fine.

Sorry about that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2012 Sep 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff where is the AE forum?

I really need to know if Adobe is going to do something regarding to the AE CS6  bad and slow performance.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 01, 2012 Oct 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 12, 2012 Oct 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The After Effects CS6 (11.0.2) update was just released. It includes many bug fixes and adds some GPUs to the list of those that can be used for GPU acceleration of ray-traced 3D rendering.

Details are here: http://adobe.ly/AE1102

Note that there are several fixes in this update to improve memory handling and performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines