9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2012 7:26 AM by Elevationman

High Res image in photoshop cs5

scfcstoke1 Level 1

This may seem a simple issue , but i want to make a picture that is 140mm by 170mm using an existing hi res image , i've put the sizes into a new document in ps.

I then dragged the high res photo i need into photshop, the photo is 6144pxl by 4113pxl so is very large, but when i drag it to PS it goes really small about a quarter of the size of the new document template, i then drag the image to to my new correct sized document template but i have to enlarge it , which in turn makes it go blurred.

What am i doing wrong? i thought that as it is so big i would have to make it smaller to fit and it would be easy?

I hope you can help me

Regard's

Craig

• 1. Re: High Res image in photoshop cs5
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Perhaps it will be more straightforward for you if you just Open the image into Photoshop, then choose the Crop Tool.  Enter 140mm and 170mm in the height and width fields, center the image in the crop border so it looks good, then complete the crop.

-Noel

• 2. Re: High Res image in photoshop cs5
            emil emil Level 4

140mm wide by 170mm high is not proportional to 6144px wide by 4113px high.

If you want to fit one of the dimensions of the image  to one of the dimensions of the final canvas size you have two options.

1. Fit the width and have empty space along the height

2. Fit the height and crop the width.

Decide which options you want, then with your image open go to Image > Size and in the dialog that appears first uncheck Resample Image, then choose the mm for units of measure for the Width or Height and enter 140mm for the Width if you choose option 1 or 170mm for the height if you choose option 2.

Then you can use Image >  Canvas size and enter the final canvas dimensions in mm.

edit: I agree with Noel that the crop tool is much easier for this, however I suggested these steps hoping it will help you with  understanding the problem you seem to be struggling with.

• 3. Re: High Res image in photoshop cs5
              scfcstoke1 Level 1

Hi, thanks for the replies, but i don'y think i've explaind myself correctly.

The image that i need is only 170 x 140mm, but i am taking a huge image & dragging it into ps cs5, now i would have thought that i would have had scale down the image & crop to fit into my template.... but when i drag it into my template it is really small, which means i have have to enlarge it to fit my template, but when i do that it is blurred.

I've attached an image to show the correct sized template & the image that i have dragged into the image, why is it so small??

[IMG]http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/hyacynth1970/brass.jpg[/IMG]

Does that make sense?

Regard's

Craig

• 4. Re: High Res image in photoshop cs5
                conroy Level 5

You'll probably find that the "huge image" which is too small when placed has much higher resolution (ppi) than the document into which it's being placed, resulting in a reduction in the placed image's pixel dimensions to maintain its physical dimensions.

If that's the case then use "Image > Image Size" without resampling to adjust the resolution of the image to be placed (or/and the target document) before doing the place.

(Photoshop will honour the physical size of a placed image unless that size is too big for the target canvas and "Resize image during place" is enabled in Preferences, in which case the placed image will be scaled down to fit the canvas.)

• 5. Re: High Res image in photoshop cs5
                  emil emil Level 4

scfcstoke1 wrote:

Hi, thanks for the replies, but i don'y think i've explaind myself correctly.

The image that i need is only 170 x 140mm, but i am taking a huge image & dragging it into ps cs5, now i would have thought that i would have had scale down the image & crop to fit into my template.... but when i drag it into my template it is really small, which means i have have to enlarge it to fit my template, but when i do that it is blurred.

Does that make sense?

Regard's

Craig

What makes you think that 170 x 140mm is small and 6144pxl by 4113px is big?

I just tried to see how much pixels I can have in an image 1x1mm and Photoshop created an image with 55514 x 55514 pixels. If you drag and drop your image of 6144pxl by 4113px it will be just small part of it.

• 6. Re: High Res image in photoshop cs5
                    Elevationman Level 1

Does anyone know how can I reduce an image size without losing quality? When I reduce the image size of a screenshot that I am taking, I can no longer read the words in the image. I am taking a screen shot of an application and trying to use the reduced image for a website but it becomes blurry and unreadable.

• 7. Re: High Res image in photoshop cs5
                      conroy Level 5

If you're reducing the number of pixels in the image then you have to expect a loss in quality. If the reduction is too great then it may be impossible to retain legibility of the words. Try sharpening before reducing, sharpening after reducing, and sharpening both before and after reducing.

• 8. Re: High Res image in photoshop cs5
                        emil emil Level 4

It is a physical problem that is very easy to understand. The image below represent the letter o drawn using 3x3 pixels. Can you draw it  on less than 3x3 pixels and still be recognizable?

Capture.JPG

While this is an exaggerated example and if displayed with the size of monitor pixels the letter won't be legible anyway because of the tiny size, the example shows the nature of the problem. The characters in a font have details that need a certain number of pixels to be displayed as intended. When using editable text, if the number of pixels available for the display of the font is low then the font technology uses a trick called font hintinghttp://you will be better off http://which optimizes the font for smaller sizes and this is not possible if you text is rasterized and not editable.

• 9. Re: High Res image in photoshop cs5
                          Elevationman Level 1

Thanks! That was very helpful!