• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Media Server for Red Hat EL 6

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2011 Jul 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried installinf FMS 4.0.2 on RHEL/CentOS 6 with no luck.

The installer complains about missing libcap. When I supress the check the installer warns about installation on an unsupported O/S.

Unfortunately, I can't it to work on CentOS 5. The log says:

2011-07-17      00:39:40        23795   (i)2571011      Server starting...      -
2011-07-17      00:39:40        23795   (i)2581224      Edge (23818) started, arguments : -edgeports ":1935" -coreports "localhost:19350" -conf "/opt/adobe/fms/conf/Server.xml" -adaptor "_defaultRoot_" -name "_defaultRoot__edge1" -edgename "edge1".        -
2011-07-17      00:39:40        23795   (i)2571111      Server started (/opt/adobe/fms/conf/Server.xml).        -
2011-07-17      00:39:45        23795   (i)2581226      Edge (23818) is no longer active.       -
2011-07-17      00:39:45        23795   (w)2581255      Edge (23818) _defaultRoot__edge1 experienced 1 failure!      -

Followed by many more edge failures.

Meanwhile the CentOS 5 installation works fine.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be or whether there is a workaround?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 18, 2011 Jul 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Datasheet does not state support for EL6, only 5.3. I am sure one of the support guys may be able to help further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! -- this is the right place to ask isn't it, or is there somewhere else I should be asking?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are in the correct forum section to ask. I do not have time to test on EL6 today

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Adrian -- the acknowledgement is appreciated!

(The report from dedy dumas is constent with what I saw.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2011 Aug 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RHEL 5 and CentOS 5 are now heading for their end of life (starting in 2011Q4); the RHEL 6 beta was made available in April 2010; as reported here, by more than one person, FMS does not work with RHEL 6.

Is Adobe planning to make a release of FMS that works with RHEL/CentOS 6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2011 Sep 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to  https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/    RHEL5 / CentOS 5 are supported until March 31, 2014https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/ .

Not sure where you got the EoL in Q4 2011.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2011 Sep 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2014 is for the end of production phase 3 or  the end of regular lifecycle.

However in 2011Q4 RHEL5 exits production phase 1 -- as I said 'heading for their end of life (starting in 2011Q4)' not that it had reached its end of life.

My point is that it would be much more desirable to go into production on RHEL6, not with an O/S that is heading for the exits, and so avoid having to make an expensive transition in a relatively short time frame.

The only component that has been holding this up is also the only component in the stack that is not open source; Adobe's disposition is duly noted.

I am glad there appears to be a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'am currently try the same things. I run FMS 4 in RHEL 6.

after couple time installing the right package (libcap a.k.a. library package) I'am success installing FMS 4 with some comment:

WARNING: Your Linux distribution, RedHat x86_64  is not supported by this
          installer.

but I keep on going with readme instruction:

13) To start the server manually, go to the installation directory (default is /opt/adobe/fms/). Use the command "./fmsmgr server fms start" to start Flash Media Server and "./fmsmgr adminserver start" to start Flash Media Administration Server.

[root@localhost ~]# cd /opt/adobe/fms/
[root@localhost fms]# ./fmsmgr server fms start
Server:fms command:start
./server: command substitution: line 46: syntax error near unexpected token `elif'
./server: command substitution: line 46: ` elif [ -f /etc/mandrake-release ] ; then'
sed: -e expression #1, char 6: unknown option to `s'
sed: -e expression #1, char 9: unknown option to `s'
sed: -e expression #1, char 14: unknown option to `s'
./server: line 41: /etc/SUSE-release: No such file or director

installer.

WARNING: FMS requires the maximum number of processes > 32K.
         Adjust ulimit to match system requirements.
NPTL 2.12
Starting Adobe Flash Media Server (please check /var/log/messages)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[root@localhost fms]# ./fmsmgr adminserver start
Admin server:fmsadmin command:start
sed: -e expression #1, char 14: unknown option to `s'
./adminserver: command substitution: line 45: syntax error near unexpected token `elif'
./adminserver: command substitution: line 45: ` elif [ -f /etc/mandrake-release ] ; then'
sed: -e expression #1, char 6: unknown option to `s'
./adminserver: line 40: /etc/SUSE-release: No such file or directory
sed: -e expression #1, char 9: unknown option to `s'

installer.

Starting Adobe Flash Media Admin Server (please check /var/log/messages)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I check in system monitor

process name: fms admin and fmsmaster ; both status: sleeping.

Q: 1. Does this mean FMS is running?

Q: 2. is there FMS server adminstration console as in microsoft installation?

The problems are: I can't connect adobe flash media live encoder 3.2, live application to the FMS

FYI: I already try in Microsoft 2003 server R2. no problem at all, I can wacth live streaming fine in flv application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2011 Sep 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running FMS 4.0 on RHEL 6.0 64bit.  It took some work but everything is working properly.  I knew I should have writtien down what I did at the time, but I will try to recall and pass along what I did.

edit the installFMS script

search for

cd_check "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5" /etc/redhat-release redhat-RHEL5-i686

add the following line right below it

cd_check "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 6" /etc/redhat-release redhat-RHEL6-i686

execute the installFMS script.  You can let the installer start the service, but they will fail.

Depending on your version of libcap, you will have to modify the libcap link in the /rootinstall/ (/opt/adobe/fms)

I had to delete the link and replace it with a symbolic link libcap.so.1 -> /lib64/libcap.so.2

If memory serves me there is one more file you have to modify, in the /rootinstall/ edit the server file

again search for

cd_check "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5" /etc/redhat-release redhat-RHEL5-i686

and add

cd_check "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 6" /etc/redhat-release redhat-RHEL6-i686

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 26, 2011 Sep 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dully noted thanks for reporting the answer. People like when i mark stuff as correct so that it attributes so to speak  into adobe database special probably helps other people find answers so could u mark yourself as giving the correct answer please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2011 Sep 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks r.circa! Your answer is encouraging. When I get a chance I will try to replicate the process. If I can I will take notes and post them here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 27, 2011 Sep 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

As of now , i do not know of any movement to RHEL 6, but if RHEL is itself moving to that distro , I guess we too follow them. I will update as soon as there is some information to share. Thanks for bringing this up.

For now, we do not have support for RHEL 6, good to know of the above workaround

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2011 Oct 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just successfully used r.circa's solution to install FMS 4.5 on RHEL6 x64. All is working well. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 12, 2012 Oct 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I config same, but show :

installer.

I's sever Centos 6 x86_x64

Pls help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2012 Dec 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again to "r.circa" who came up with the original solution. Here are some updated instructions that don't require creating a symbolic link to fix the libcap issue.

I was able to get 4.5.4 working on RHEL 6.3. Here's what to do:

Update to latest errata with 'yum update'; reboot

Also make sure you have latest version of both libcap and compat-libcap1 packages (via yum update...)

Exract the latest FMS install archive (4.5.4 as of this writing).

In that folder, for a successful, error-free install you need to edit three files:

server

adminserver

installFMS

For 'server' and 'adminserver', edit these sections as follows:

# Red Hat Linux

if [ -f /etc/redhat-release ]; then

cd_check "Red Hat Enterprise Linux [WAE]S release 3" /etc/redhat-release redhat-RHEL3-i686

cd_check "Red Hat Enterprise Linux [WAE]S release 4" /etc/redhat-release redhat-RHEL4-i686

cd_check "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5" /etc/redhat-release redhat-RHEL5-i686

cd_check "CentOS release 4" /etc/redhat-release centos-4-i686

cd_check "CentOS release 5" /etc/redhat-release centos-5-i686

DIST='RedHat'

PSUEDONAME=`cat /etc/redhat-release | sed s/.*\(// | sed s/\)//`

REV=`cat /etc/redhat-release | sed s/.*release\ // | sed s/\ .*//`

DIST="${DIST} ${REV} ${PSUEDONAME}"

cd_result $DIST

..and:

# check distribution

PLATFORM="Linux"

ARCH=`uname -m`

SUPPORT=0

DISTRO=`check_distro`

case $DISTRO in

redhat-RHEL5-i686)

;;

redhat-RHEL6-i686)

;;

centos-5-i686)

;;

Debian)

Similarly, for installFMS edit these sections as follows:

# Red Hat Linux

if [ -f /etc/redhat-release ]; then

cd_check "Red Hat Enterprise Linux [WAE]S release 3" /etc/redhat-release redhat-RHEL3-i686

cd_check "Red Hat Enterprise Linux [WAE]S release 4" /etc/redhat-release redhat-RHEL4-i686

cd_check "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5" /etc/redhat-release redhat-RHEL5-i686

cd_check "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6" /etc/redhat-release redhat-RHEL6-i686

cd_check "CentOS release 4" /etc/redhat-release centos-4-i686

cd_check "CentOS release 5" /etc/redhat-release centos-5-i686

DIST='RedHat'

PSUEDONAME=`cat /etc/redhat-release | sed s/.*\(// | sed s/\)//`

REV=`cat /etc/redhat-release | sed s/.*release\ // | sed s/\ .*//`

DIST="${DIST} ${REV} ${PSUEDONAME}"

cd_result $DIST

and...

# check distribution

PLATFORM="Linux"

DISTRO=`check_distro`

case $DISTRO in

redhat-RHEL5-i686)

;;

redhat-RHEL6-i686)

;;

centos-5-i686)

;;

Debian)

run installFMS as normal and it should just work.

I hope that helps. I also hope Adobe starts to support RHEL 6 users. Seriously, how much effort would it take?

Best,

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines