• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Installation: why is McAffee Security stuffed down my throat!!!

New Here ,
Jun 23, 2010 Jun 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe,

For lack of a better place to express my utter frustration, I am reduced to post here.  You obviously value customer feedback so much that you make it near impossible to tell you what experience we get with your products.

Anyway.  Today I upgrade the version of my Flash plugin, and kaboom I find myself with McAfee Security Scan install.  What on earth is this?  Are you so desperate that you have to promote other products besides your own?

I find the practice very upsetting.  If there's a choice not to install this McAfee piece of junk during the Flash plugin installation process, then it should be made a litte bit more conspicuous.

Already 3 millions iPad sold in 80 days.  A testament of how many people just don't give a damn about Flash.  Just go rot in hell with your bloody Flash piece of crap!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 23, 2010 Jun 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, here is the link to Uninstall the McAfee Security Scan Plus:

http://us.mcafee.com/en-us/affiliates/adobe/landingpages/np681.asp?cid=72563

I don't know if it is listed in your Add/Remove or Programs and Features, but you could check and Remove it from there also.

There is also a McAfee Removal Tool if you like, using just steps 1 & 2.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2010 Jun 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have filed a complaint with the BBB as well as with a few virus scanning companies labeling the Adobe Download Manager as malware. Suck it Adobe.

I have also uninstalled the Adobe Flash Player. HTML5 and Silverlight should do me just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2010 Aug 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I service computers for customers. Lately, I've started seeing machines that are acting as though they've been infected by a virus or something, running super slow or unable to boot. Upon investigation, I'm finding that they have McAffee installed on top of their existing antivirus software. It's highly likely that they accidentally allowed it to install with their latest flash update. Adobe is doing their users a great disservice by offering this by default. They would do well to change it as soon as possible to avoid pissing everyone off. My customers surely are just a drop in the bucket of people that have had their computers damaged by this marketing blunder. Surely Adobe employs enough technically savvy people that there must be someone there that knows you can't have more than one antivirus program at the same time.

Suggest fixing it quick, guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 17, 2010 Aug 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, the McAfee Security Scan Plus that is offered on Flash Player Installation sites is a Choice. The User can decline it by Unchecking the box that is there, just as they can decline the offer ot the Google Toolbar. This is a Scan, not a full fledged Anti-Virus program which McAfee does offer. This is no different than any other online Scan that many AV programs offer.

You may want to read what this Scan does and how it works here:

http://us.mcafee.com/en-us/affiliates/adobe/landingpages/np681.asp?cid=72563

You can also read this: McAfee Security Scan Plus FAQ sheet. Many programs offer a variety of options and can be accepted or declined.

So Adobe is not forcing anyone to accept this. And for those that may did not see the offer and declined it, a very simple removal is available, which I posted for someone else on this thread.

I would advise your clients to Uninstall it if it is not wanted, and if they didn't decline the offer of the Google Toolbar, you could advise them on that also.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2010 Aug 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is deciteful of Adobe to do this.  We are forcing flash upon our users in order for them to use the products we developed.  Adobe is then taking our words of please install flash by clicking this link and proceeding to become infected with this scareware and bloatware.     You may be technically inclined enough to know to uncheck that stupid box, but most people who use computers are not.   You are justifying adobe bundling 3rd party products via the argument that users have a choice, but that is simply incorrect, INFORMED users have a choice and if you have ever worked in any tech support position you would know very few users can be placed in that category.  I think it is absolutely despicable of adobe to include this crap at all with a such a vital component of the internet.     We developers do have a choice though and I will be leaving the Adobe platform the second i can.   Between the ridiculous errors and crashes constantly encountered as a flash developer, the complete lack of best practices and solid documentation, and the constant brushing us under the rug I am have become sick of Adobe.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2012 Sep 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know the thread is old,but the subject remains unchanged in the past two years.

I searched around to see if maybe Adobe had fallen on hard times. 

As a user of their Production Suite, I am concerned that money has become such an issue for a DCC giant like Adobe.

I'm concerned, since underhandedly bundling cut-rate commercial sneakware apps that have Nothing to do with content creation is something only struggling companies would do, not industry giants like Adobe.  The good news is that competing apps are already on the horizon, but-  _only_ if the worst should happen:  That Adobe becomes so unable to pay it's bills that it begins selling itself for cheap scotch out on the corner.  Weeping, I will reach into my wallet and pay for the next tool that helps me get my work done.

ho-ho, all kidding aside:

It's simple Adobe:  If you're going to pull this kind of garbage, then man-up.  If you TRULY believe it's something your customers will think is useful and quality, then LET US CHOOSE, don't require that we jump through a hoop(yes, even ONE single hoop) and UN-CHOOSE something we DIDN'T ASK FOR. 

We're not stupid:  leaving an opt-in checkbox checked by default _IS_ sneaky, it _DOES_ get you revenue from the complacency that is inherent in human nature, and you know it.  It's just silly to hide behind the lies and claim anything else.  I'm embarrased for you.

One day, Adobe, trust may be all that you have.  Don't lose it too early.

PS:  I know this is a user-to-user forum, but it shows up in Google hits forever and needs to be on the record from every schmuck who takes the time to post it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 17, 2012 Nov 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this has to go away now. I know many business that has banned Flash player alltogether now because if this, most people don´t check and un-check and admins don´t want to spend time uninstalling stuff. It make flash player look like some -90:ties shareware bugware program.

If the option is going to be there at all please have it UN-SELECTED by default. Adobe is doing everything it can nowadays to make people not use Flash. Not good for us developers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2010 Oct 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really annoying. Installing bloatware by default is bad practice and it breaks trust.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please make the standard "not checked". This would be truly optional.

You seem to have partnered up to develop some (DRM) but most people already have an Antivirus program installed (McAffee is not the suitable for everyone and there are great free solutions out there), so adding it to every player download is redicoulous! You will probably hear more complaints, like these.

Thank You

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aleccologne wrote:

Please make the standard "not checked". This would be truly optional.

You seem to have ...

No, we have not done anything.  This is a user-to-user forum, and we are all users here, just as yourself.

If you have suggestions for Adobe products or installers, please do it here https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh gee...only have to sign up for JIRA now. Another countless waste of time by getting run around in circles signing up for 5 trillion different accounts at Adobe to complain about it. Really?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experienced the same issues mentioned here.

I downloaded Adobe Flash Player update for Firefox just a few minutes ago. There was no prompt or option with the Flash player update to include McAfee Security Scan Plus, no notification whatsoever that McAfee was being included with the download. The option to choose or not to choose to download the McAfee software was simply not there.

Next thing I know I have a McAfee icon on my desktop and don't know why until I realized I'd just downloaded a update from Firefox and a flash update from Adobe. Obviously it didn't appear until after I had downloaded the Flash player update, so guess who the culprit is. Apparently I am not alone.

This is a very invasive and subversive way to get people to use McAfee products. I don't even like McAfee! I've used them before and hated it. You need to let people know what they are downloading in every update. How dare you. Shame on you Adobe! That is nothing short of manipulation. Good job. I'll be telling everyone I know at Mozilla forums to beware of the next Adobe for Firefox update.

FXCDB wrote:

For lack of a better place to express my utter frustration, I am reduced to post here.  You obviously value customer feedback so much that you make it near impossible to tell you what experience we get with your products.

I couldn't agree more, it's a real hassle trying to navigate the Adobe site since there is no direct link to contact anyone with something this specific.

It also especially frustrating to come here and read that the option to decline it is allegedly there when it wasn't...and to just remove it if we don't like it. As if I don't have a billion other things to do than to deal with this crap. I always check to see what is being downloaded to my computer and the option simply was not there. It certainly wasn't in Firefox. Better check your details Adobe before you assume we're the idiots. Thanks but no thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's disgusting, and it's crap like this that gives Adobe such a horrible perception lately.  You'd think a design oriented company would know how important total user experience is to their brand.    Sadly you have become worse than Microsoft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's all about the bottom dollar to corporations anymore. Customer service isn't even a part of the equation, we're just meal tickets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2010 Oct 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firefox wanted to get updated to the latest version. After updating it tells me I should upgrade Flash because my current version is a security risk.

On the first screen at Adobe's website I begin the download but just wehn I hit the button I see McAfee in the corner of my eye. I abort and go back and notice the check box (pre-selected of course) if I want a security scan. I get a sense of déjà vu, untick this "offer" and once again begin the download.

Then I see the word DLM and it comes back to me slowly.

I did the same procedure before. Also at the time I "discovered" the stupid anti-virus bundle. At that time it took me a few weeks however before I noticed this DLM-thing. An extension to download flash? I have a vague memory I even had to remove it as a program from Control Panel.
This I will not know because now (on Windows 7) I did not approve this "software" to make changes to my machine. Which of course caused Firefox to hang.

After restarting it and removing the extension I now don't even know if I got the latest flash version... ha.. Amazing.

And of course no one from Adobe is reading this and commenting... Useless. Customer Service at it's best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add the FLASH PLAYER DOWNLOAD PAGE  http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/fp_distribution3.html as a  link on the DLM/Mcafee Page http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/. Thank You

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too late to worry about pissing people off, that ship has sailed.

Flash iss a big enough security risk. Now to have to deal with adobe being untrustworthy is too much.

I will live just fine without Flash, and every other product you try to pull this crap with.

3rd strike and everything adobe goes, including PS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2010 Oct 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated above this forum seems to be irrelevant to the topic. Here is a prewritten email to send to 'snarayen@adobe.com'; 'adbecare@adobe.com'

Greetings,

Our Company is using ADOBE Products for years and we are very grateful for your work.

I would like to suggest though, that the actual FLASH PLAYER DOWNLOAD PAGEhttp://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/fp_distribution3.html would be linked at the DLMhttp://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/. The flash player installers are quite difficult to find. This practice would keep people who know what they are doing, from needing to install the DLM, something especially administrators of companies don't like to do, as it limits control over system architecture, conflicting programs and outgoing traffic.

Also the practice of bundling MCAFEE software with a preselected checkbox is an understandable business method, but seems to be senseless and abusive for most downloader's, who already have Antivirus programs installed. We would like to see all additional software as a checkable option, not a preselected one. This may be called a 'respectful standard business strategy', if you like.

I would like to see ADOBE products take the same care in these two points as they do in other regards.

Yours Sincerely

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 07, 2010 Nov 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree - this is an absolute disgrace - I have been onto Symantec and suggested that they sue Adobe for unfair business practices - I don't want Mcaffee -I didn't ask for Mcaffee and will cease using Adobe products wherever I can and encourage others to do the same!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2010 Nov 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pwrenplan wrote:

I have been onto Symantec and suggested that they sue Adobe for unfair business practices

Whoa - this is funny!!!

McAfee should then also sue Adobe because Shockwave Player comes bundled with Norton/Symantec crap...?

shwp.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2010 Nov 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm the picture of the dialog box says a lot about Norton, as the option is clearly shown to the user, whereas McCafee uses the underhanded method, being an inferior product (that's the way I see it anyway)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You people are just ridiculous! If you download software of any kind from any vendor and do not pay attention to what it is you are downloading and the conditions under which it is being downloaded, then it is surely your ignorance. You sound like a bunch of whining babies. Get into another field of work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah maybe if it were " any company" or some eastern european, or african website you could say, if you didn't read everything carefully and they snuck something by you it's all your fault. Companies with a good reputation on the otherhand are not expected to pull that crap, if they wish to maintain their customer's trust.

While on the rant. I do not appreciate security updates or bug fixes that come with 6 pages of user agreement to sign off on. How about a single paragraph that says we're sorry we didn't get it right the first time, or some schmuck has found a way to exploit our product to your disadvantage. Please be aware this update does not change the terms of our existing user agreements.

Trust played a big part in users reactions here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines