Dec 06, 2012 Dec 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[FM 10 on Windows 7]

Starting from a .book file, I …

1. select all but the first chapter, right click and select Numbering
  2. select the Page tab, select Continue from previous page
  3. click Set

So far so good, except that nothing useful happens in terms of page numbers that run from the start of the book to the end: each chapter steadfastly and persistently starts page numbering at 1. I don't remember having this much trouble with earlier versions, and it's frustrating!

Thanks in advance for help and tips

N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update the book, N.

Van

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Starting from a .book file ...

I recommend setting the numbering properties from within each open component file, then setting the book menu clones to "Read from File".

See: Why does my numbering keep resetting to roman numerals??

And I concur that you may see no changes until Update Book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it is worth, I have never had a problem setting the numbering from the book file. I find it easier than setting each file within the file.

Van

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It only causes us a problem when FM (7.1/Unix) crashes, which, alas, it does, a lot.

And because unexplained crashes seem to still be an undocumented feature, even in FM11, the risk of book/file numbering de-sync might still lurk.

But for anyone who is not experiencing frequent crashes, setting props from Book might be just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Error,

I always recommend setting the numbering at the book level as sometimes files can be common to multiple books and their position within a book would be different in each book. The book settings always trump the file settings anyway and you have easier control over the book's collection of files that way. If I have to rearrange files in a book.

@Niels,

In FM10 and later, one can turn off FM's error/warning notifications, so in some cases when the book has to silently open files to perform the updates, you won't see the errors/warnings (like missing fonts or inconsistent properties) that can stop FM from automatically completing the renumbering of a book.

Also, when changing the setting for a single file in a book, the status line in the book pane doesn't automatically update until you come back to the file (i.e. select another file and the re-select the file that you just updated). This might be what you're seeing and I think it's a "buglet".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, I'm reassured … I'll mentally label this quirk 'delayed feedback', especially now I've started the day by opening the book and see that numbering is as I'd hoped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines