Exit

Robohelp changes hyper-links with # sign

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2012 Dec 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi community,

Robohelp 9.0.2

I have an issue with Word hyperlinks. I want to generate a project with 20 separate .doc files as project topics.

As I want to crossreference these topics, the only good way I found is to add a final topic address in the .doc file as a hyperlink, e.g.:

http://mycompany.com/documentation/index.htm#topic.htm

But after generation I find that all links refer to the page that contain those links (e.g. http://mycompany.com/index.htm)

How to  avoid this transformation?

Or maybe there is a more correct way to do cross-reference? (w/o manually changing generated html files).

I will appreciate any help as I want to migrate documentation to Robohelp and search the best approach.

Best regards!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want links between Word documents that survive when you link to them all in a Rh project, if I have understood you correctly.

I think this was explored once before on these forums and the conclusion was that it cannot be done.

Is there an overriding reason for having linked documents rather than having the content in RoboHelp?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter! Thank you for helping me again! I remember you helped me a lot with pictures quality half a year ago.

I need to link word files, because this is our standart and actually it works pretty well.

Actually I have URLs pointing to a web site. http://domain.com/documentation/index.htm#section/subject.htm

So I want to have cross reference with the help of standart links. But Robohelp seems doesn't understand "#".

Perhaps you know how else I can implement this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2012 Dec 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The use of the hash tag is a way of opening a Rh output showing a topic other than the default topic. See http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/calling_webhelp/using_urls.htm on my site.

I think the problem is that they are not surviving the link process and, as above, I think others have found the same issue without any posted resolution.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2012 Dec 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Peter for your help and the link.

Word 2003 saves links like

../index.htm#section_name

as

../index.htm" \l "section_name"

So, it actually uses two links for this kind of URLs. Anyone can check this by pressing Alt+F9 in Word.

I experimented with changing that presentation (just edited Word's link code), but nothing helps.

So, I will use another way to point to a specific section. It will create just a few drawbacks.

Closing? Take care!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp