• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting for HTML 5 video (.webm & .ogg)

Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2012 Jun 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe there is not more demand for this. My web dev is asking me for over 300 video clips in both .web and .ogg - - AME does not do this.

Do you guys have this problem? Any sucess with a 3rd party plug-in of some sort. I can use Firefogg (from Firefox) but it's slow using over the web as opposed to exporting from Premiere.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jun 29, 2013 Jun 29, 2013

I don't know if anyone is paying attention to this thread anymore, but I just put a WebM plug-in for Premiere/Media Encoder into beta.  Here are a couple download links:

http://www.fnordware.com/downloads/WebM_v0.5b2_mac.zip

http://www.fnordware.com/downloads/WebM_v0.5b2_win.zip

WebM uses Vorbis for sound, but this plug-in can't actually write a seperate Ogg file. Now that I've gotten a little familiar with the Vorbis library, maybe it wouldn't be too tough to make a Premiere plug-in.

I don't know a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a video tutorial that may be helpful: http://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/producing-for-html5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does that have to do with webm and ogg formats?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought it would be helpful, but I guess it didn't include the info you need.

If you would like .webm or .ogg output from Adobe Media Encoder, please make a feature request:
http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Here's a thread about HTML5 video encoding that may be more helpful:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/4065922

Here's an article that may be of some help:
http://www.reelseo.com/webm-vp8-encoding-tools/

Another free tool that can export the files you need:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Yeah i've been testing VLC for conversions - - still takes forever though.

I actually requested it more than a year ago. Read a few threads on the topic as well. I'm just surprised that this topic isn't more popular.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would definitely request the feature. We know that users want it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2012 Aug 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet again i'm unsatisfied with adobe product. If your software was free i could be even happy with this level of service. Since your products are one of the most expensive i expect them to be at least as good as free ones. How can You post link to free tool that does somenthing that part of software i bought for about $4000 SHOULD DO. This is shamefull.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 14, 2012 Aug 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michał Tworek wrote:

Yet again i'm unsatisfied with adobe product. If your software was free i could be even happy with this level of service. Since your products are one of the most expensive i expect them to be at least as good as free ones. How can You post link to free tool that does somenthing that part of software i bought for about $4000 SHOULD DO. This is shamefull.

My car cost a lot of money but I can walk for free

I have both .web and .ogg working in Media Encoder.  I simply followed Kevin's links and watched tutorials etc.  I don't see the problem.

Adobe don't own those encoders and some of them can't be included in commercial products (due to licensing issues) so it's hard to blame Adobe for not including them.   It's no different to them not including DNxHD and ProRes 'Built-In'.   If you install the codecs you're likely to be able to use them in AME just like all the others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2012 Dec 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ExactImage can you provide details on how to add .ogg and WEb M support to ME. I could not find the resource you mentioned.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 10, 2012 Dec 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ExactImage,

yes it would be very nice if you share your knowledge how to add Webm to the adobe Media Encoder.

Regards

Johannes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2013 Jan 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ExactImage,

I know AME can be enabled to export webm video, if you are using a Mac. In this case the quicktime filters provided by the webm project will do the job. I work with a PC, and I tried to achieve the same with the direct show filters from the webm project. But somehow this doesn't seem to work. I would appreciate help very much.

Thanks! Holger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2013 Feb 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I want it in cs5 and its cs4 32-bit support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember that vp8/webm, ogg/vorbis, and ogg/threora are formats which are open source.

this may or may not be the issue. if there is an open source license attached to any/all of the formats, then you have to check the license first. then it's quite possible you will have to stick with miro for vp8/webm and ogg.

apparently, directshow has filters for theora. who knows, maybe vp8/webm too.

it is under the BSD 3-line license. the bsd license usually allows for commercial development, but you will have to look at the license to determine that, and I don't see it yet. in rthe colophon it said the theora bsd-like license doesn't restrict a 3rd party from implementing theora software (but it must support playback, even in the future according to wikipedia).

http://www.theora.org/doc/Theora.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vp8

vp8 is under the creative commons 3.0 license. that license is described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons_licenses

I got the following from "google webm":

http://www.webmproject.org/

this link contains encoder code, specifications, etc.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-payload-vp8-08

this link is the vp8 draft spec RFP (request for porposal)

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc6386/

this link is the webm payload format (container format I think).

Message was edited by: jmichae1 - add link for miro

Message was edited by: jmichae1 added link for miro, corrected text about directshow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wait, cs6 is out, does it still not have it in 2013?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jmichae1,

I use CS6 and no, it doesn't support webm yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I forget, this may take a long time, but finally an official request might help, too:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

I already sent mine, but it might be helpful if as many users as possible requested the feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent in mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So let's keep our fingers crossed 🙂 In the meantime I tried a freeware encoder called XMedia Recode (http://www.xmedia-recode.de) which even does batch encoding. Still it would be very nice if there was an update for the Adobe Media Encoder incorporating webm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly the better option is for FireFox to support H.264 (and in the future, H.265) in the HTML tag.  IE, Safari and Chrome already do.  It's a shame the best browser doesn't support the best video codec.  They've added it to the Android version, so there's no reason they can't add it for every version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

you have a point here. But the fact remains that under certain circumstances clients do require webm as an output format. I simply hope that adding the feature to the wish list and browsing the help forums will ultimately lead me to a solution.

Thanks, Holger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2013 Feb 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that would make it a non-open-source browser if I understand right. h.264 is not licensed under an open source license. this is probably procisely the reason why open source browsers like webkit and firefox are using webm and theora, and non-open-source browsers want to use something where they don't have to be forced to reveal their source code, such as h.264 and other closed-license formats. I think you will see the dividing line now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is why Firefox doesn't include it by default in their primary browser.  But it's just not a good enough reason, in my view.  It's enabled on Firefox for Android.  Like it or not, the licensed H.264 does provide the best quality/size ratio.  Mozilla needs to get down off their high horse on this one and include support for all versions.

Or...come up with a better GPL'd codec (which is unlikely given the recent first round completion of the also licensed H.265 spec, which is sure to take over the near ubiquity of H.264 video on the web).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

forget whjat I just said. it was off-base.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2013 Mar 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would point out that ogg export exists in Audition CS6.  If they can do it there, why can they not do it in AME?  Most game engines use the ogg format and we need to able to convert many files in batch.  I don't like the "free tools" because I find them untrustworthy (i.e. what else are they installing?  I don't need ANOTHER toolbar on my browser.) My gripe right now is audio, not video.  But I know I'll need web video support at some point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post adds nothing to the discussion, and only criticizes another user.  Please review the forum guidelines below.]

Best practices: Etiquette

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines