• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dev and Test on the same server?

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2006 Dec 19, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to run Development and Test sites on the same Coldfusion Server? Will they have their own Coldfusion Administrator, etc? How is this done? How is licensing supported for this?

Currently we have two websites setup on the same server but they share the same Coldfusion Administrator. We want to figure out a way that both can have their own coldfusion administrator. Reasons are for things like setting up DSNs and configuration changes. we want the Dev site to point to the Dev database and the Test site to point to the Test Database.

Thanks
Dwight
TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

give the two datasources different names in your administrator and, in your application.cfm file, use the cgi variables to determine which ones to use. This becomes an application variable. In fact, if you are smart, the same code can be used to look after the production system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to run Development and Test sites on the same Coldfusion
Server? Will they have their own Coldfusion Administrator, etc? How is
this done? How is licensing supported for this?

The Enterprise (Expensive) version of CF can do this. You can configure
CF in "Multi-home" version where each instance of CF gets it's own JRun
(Java) server with individual CF administrators.

Without the Enterprise version, the easiest way is to use one of various
software packages that can create multiple operating systems on the same
physical box. Then each OS can be installed with a standard version of
CF configured as desired.

Either option is acceptable under normal licensing as the licenses are
by CPU pairs, no matter how many personalities you split them into. As
I understand it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick replies. I think Dan's suggestion to use the application variable for Dev, Test, and Production is the best solution at this point.

Dwight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2006 Dec 20, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
If DEV and PROD-Applications run on same CF-server, be VERY carefull to use different names for the application-name (Application.ApplicationName).

CF stores application-vars under that string, if both have the same, they share the application-var-scope.

Happened once on me, everytime I called my dev-site, the application.datasource was set to dev-DB for the prod-application too.
When noticing after some days ... part of prod-data was in dev-DB, rest in prod-DB.
Biggest DB-mess I ever had !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation