4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2012 10:58 AM by OldBob1957 RSS

Type Baseline Problem

Garrett Brzozowski

Reference image below.

I need to get a number to sit on the baseline in a line of text but it automatically sits below the baseline. Is there a term for this? And how do I got about fixing it?

Thanks!

Screen shot 2012-12-07 at 2.58.28 PM.png

• 1. Re: Type Baseline Problem
          Jacob Bugge ACP/MVPs

Garrett,

Your font seems to have Old Style Figures (where 3, 4, 5, 7, and 9, extend down below the baseline, and where 6 and 8 extend above the x height). In that case it is perfectly normal.

To force it up, the exact way depends on the application, but basically it is to set a customized baseline shift for your 3. With terms from Illustrator, working with live Type, you may use the Type Tool and:

1) Use Shift + an arrow key or drag to select 3 and nothing else;

2) In the Character palette/panel insert a Baseline Shift value that brings it up as desired (you may try different values until you are there); you may need to click the right arrow and tick Show Options to see the baseline Shift option.

• 2. Re: Type Baseline Problem
            Garrett Brzozowski Community Member

Oh ok awesome. Well i am using Photoshop at the moment but if you know how to fix that in InDesign that would be awesome. Thanks.

• 3. Re: Type Baseline Problem
              Jacob Bugge ACP/MVPs

Garrett,

You can do it in (almost) exactly the same way in Photoshop, and in InDesign.

In the Index in the Helpfile you can find it under Baseline Shift.

• 4. Re: Type Baseline Problem
                OldBob1957 Community Member

Just another possibility to keep in mind; depending on the font, there might be non-old-style numbers in the glyph set that you could use instead. I don't know how to get there in PhotoShop, but...

In InDesign, got to; Type > Glyphs to bring up the glyphs panel.

In Illustrator, its; Window > Type > Glyphs.