• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

unicode arrows in FM 10

Advisor ,
Dec 09, 2012 Dec 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so I'm using Arial as my standard font. I go to the curiously geeky character palette and select Arial as the font. Then I locate 21E7, a.k.a. upwards white arrow; it's clearly visible on the palette, which is encouraging. But what shows up in my document, both on-screen and as a .pdf? a question-mark.  Clearly some sort of gap or discrepancy between interface and reality which I'm failing to appreciate … hints and tips welcome.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2012 Dec 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> ... so I'm using Arial as my standard font.

Try Arial Unicode MS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the system or the FM character map?

Anyway, I just tried this in FM9 on Win7/64.

The 21E7 code point is not populated in "Arial", although simple Arial does seem to have numerous Unicode glpyhs. I had expected it to be the same old Western 1252 set, but MS has apparently extended it somewhat.

21E7 is populated in "Arial Unicode MS", and pastes into FM with no problem, as an "UPWARDS WHITE ARROW". If I change the font to Arial, it reverts to a "?".

If I were going to use this in a document, I'd be tempted to implement it as a Variable, so that the font assignment is deliberate, sticky and ends after the glyph.

Character Format:

Name: Arial_Unicode_MS

Font Family Arial Unicode MS (everything else As-Is)

New Variable:

Name: char.U+2137.upwards_white_arrow

Def: <Arial_Unicode_MS>\u21e7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the assorted tips – I beat the problem into submission by going for Arial Unicode MS and a character style. When the FM character palette offers visible characters for U+2423 and U+21E7 in Arial it's clearly being optimistic … or using some sort of hard-coded list instead of reading the font from the PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2012 Dec 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> When the FM character palette ...

Ah. I was using the MS Windows7 Character Map, and it does not show U+21E7 as populated in regular Arial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I run this experiment in Wordpad, I get a similar result; a "no glyph" box when Arial is applied to the U+21E7 character.

If I save that setup as RTF, and open it in MS Word, on the other hand, Word silently converts the missing glyph's font to "Cambria Math", and shows an outlined up arrow. This is all-to-typical "Bill Gates is smarter than you are" MS behavior. I haven't checked to see if one can drill down into a menu that would turn this feature off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Niels

Try this:

1. Search for "Upwards arrow" on this site:

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2191/index.htm

Typing Alt +2191 does not work, so proceed with the next steps.

2. In Windows Character Map, go to Unicode 2191.

3. Copy the character and paste it in FrameMaker.

This always works for me, even in DITA XML and HTML.

Cheers

Yves

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Typing Alt +2191 does not work ...

There's a registry hack to enable that, and other alternatives.

Here's a typical resource:

http://www.johndcook.com/blog/2008/08/17/three-ways-to-enter-unicode-characters-in-windows/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, Yves – I've found when mixing Windows and Frame that I get irritating messages about MS Shell Dlg [or something like that], so I tend to avoid it. fileformat.info is a great resource for checking unicode values, though; I've used it many times, probably most often when updating my harmonium scores wiki from a W*ws PC or a Mac instead of its native Linux …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines