• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create context sensitive help and call the role based help from my Java Project?

Dec 11, 2012 Dec 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I am new to Robo Help. I have created a Robo help for my Java Web Applicaion. My application is role base i.e some user's will not see some of the pages of the application. So I want to hide those pages in Robo help as well. I tried creating multiple TOC for different Roles.

My Question is

1. How to call robo Help from my application?(I will be calling using java script. If it is with RoboHelp_CSH.js where can I get that and How to implement it in my project)
  2. How to implement role based help?

Thanks,

Siva.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Siva.

You can implement role based help in RoboHelp versions 9 or 10. If you open one of the sample projects (e.g. Employee Care) there are a few WebHelp single source layouts that if you generate the output will help you. In summary you use conditional buid tags in your source and an expression in your single source layout to filter out the role based topics. The different roles are selectable at the top of the TOC in a dropdown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your reply. I had done that. How can I call the particular TOC from the JS file for a particular Role?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not how role based help works. One role is the default, other users can select their role but everyone can see all the help. What you need is different outputs for each role and you set up your app to point the user to the right help by identifying just the right pages.

Alternatively, does it matter if someone can see all the help? Their permissions will stop them doing things outside their area.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Yes It matters, and is there any way to do it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2012 Dec 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I answered that. My point in asking whether it matters was that if it does, then you cannot use content categories and point different users to different categories and not allow them to see the others.

The alternative, as I said, would be to produce different outputs for each role.

As it does matter, then using webhelp you will have to use your RoboHelp project to produce a number of outputs, one for each category. Your app would install each webhelp into different folders and when your app determines the user role, you will link to the appropriate help.

There is another thread running where it has been explained by Willam van Weelden that you can achieve what you want using browser based AIR help. If that form of help can be considered, then the thread is at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4914753?tstart=0#4914753

Browser based AIR help must be run from a web server. It cannot be installed locally.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp