• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing TOC and Index in WebHelp (that previously appeared)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2012 Dec 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m having a problem with my WebHelp output where the TOC and Index do not display.  This started in the latest builds.  But I haven’t checked in any changes since a release a couple of weeks ago. I uninstalled the current build of our product and re-installed the previous release (that not only passed QA, but previously worked on my system before I installed the latest build).  And I’m still having problems (on three different browsers) were the TOC pane is empty, and the Index does not display the list of indexed terms but only the search field.  So files that previously worked fine, now have a problem.  What on earth? 

I suspect this is an issue on my local machine, possibly with my browser settings.  Is anyone aware of any recent updates that would affect TOC and Index being displayed in all three major browsers?  (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome)?   Although the fact that I have the same problem with three different browsers makes me think it’s some shared component.  Maybe due to a recent Windows update?   (I’m running automatic updates for Windows).

I’m using RoboHelp 10 on Windows 7.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2012 Dec 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you start your WebHelp by double clicking on the start file in Windows Explorer (i.e. not through your application)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can view the Help fine on my local machine.  The issue is when it's served up over a Web server.  And no, I haven't changed any settings (Mark of the Web).  The exact same files that diplayed just fine a week ago are now not displaying the navigation.  Which makes me think it's some Windows automatic update that has broken something.  Or maybe an update to a JavaScript interpreter, since it looks like there are several JavaScript files that support the TOC navigation (and index and search).

I've also confirmed that my coworker has the same problem, so it's not just me.  And one of our QA guys has also replicated the problem.  But we're still trying to nail down what's going on so we can try to fix it.

ETA - Clearing the browser cache and clearing the WebServer cache didn't solve the problem either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would try publishing the output that is working locally to a new folder on the server.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2012 Dec 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've solved the problem.

A big thank you to one of my QA guys for helping track this down (because it was bothering him as much as it was bothering me).  He determined that the reason why the Help had passed QA for the last release (a couple weeks ago) was because of a caching issue.  If you’d previously opened the Help, the support files were in your cache and the navigation worked.   Once we realized that the Help navigation was broken in the previous release as well, that made it much easier to track down the problem.

Before I got hired we had a lone writer. He was working in RoboHelp 6. When they hired me, they bought RoboHelp 10 for both of us.  He hasn’t upgraded his projects yet, because he’s got imminent releases and couldn’t afford to break anything.  I upgraded my project and *thought* I’d checked everything into source control (Git). But it turns out that the Eclipse client for Git is buggy (my development team lead got to say “I told you so.” in our meeting this morning.)  When we checked my Git repository from the command line yesterday, it revealed a whole bunch of files that had changed but hadn’t been checked in.  Those files included all the navigation support files, which explains why the TOC, index, and search were broken.  The support files just plain weren’t there. 

So this problem was a bit of a perfect storm of various contributing factors.  Upgrading a RoboHelp project from version 6 to version 10.  Failure of my source control client to identify new and changed files that needed to be checked into the build.  A caching issue with the browser which prevented both QA and myself from realizing that the Help navigation was broken.

As of this morning, my files are checked in, we’ve run a build, and I’ve installed our product and confirmed that the Help works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting the solution. Often when people find the solution themselves they don't come back with it. That does not help the next person with the problem.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On more than one occasion I've been that "next person" looking for the solution and not finding it.  I always update my posts if I find a solution. 

BTW, the "Distribute Webhelp" topic in the Help was particularly useful with tracking down which files do what in the output.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/robohelp/robohtml/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d11aff59c2a0-7fb6.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2012 Dec 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm having a problem with similar symptoms:  generated output with no TOC, Index, Search, or left pane at all.  I have tried deleting the contents of my output directory (on  my local drive) and re-generating the project.  I also tried uninstalling my RoboHelp 9 and reinstalling it and run updates, all with no success.

There are a few other circumstances that didn't apply with my previous projects but do apply to this project:

• I have attached my current project to Microsoft Visual SourceSafe 6.0 for source control.

• When I right-click on Web Help Primary Layout, then choose Properties I get the following error (see picture).  when I click OK, it then presumes to generate normally:

RoboHelp Error.JPG

• After I browse to the output location, I notice that it has altered the name of my start-up page, from Action_Basics.htm to Action_Basics_1.htm (there were no existing files in that folder as I had previously deleted all the files before generating).

I'm using RoboHelp 9 and Windows 7

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sherry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Sounds like you are confused about the difference between the start page and the default topic. One launches the WebHelp output. It's normally named index.htm in version 9. So either you changed it or you are working with an upgraded project from an earlier version. The default topic is simply the first topic presented to the user after the WebHelp loads up.

Try renaming your start page to index.htm and see if things improve.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

I looked at my previous project which was generated successfully, and it does not use Index.htm as the start page. It’s properties are set the same as my current project. I don’t have an Index.htm file in my project to select anyways.

Sherry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What folder and filename do you have set in the first page of the layout?

That is the start page.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I’m sorry, I’m not exactly following you. What “layout” are you referring to? The application that is using this help file is referring to “Action_Basics.htm” in the ASPX web page.

Sherry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the single source layouts pod from which you generate the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean this? C:\RoboHelp ePegasus Projects\PUBLISHED OUTPUTS\Actions\Action_Basics.htm

Sherry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe yes, maybe no.

Only a screenshot will tell us you got that from the right  place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A screenshot of what? Here’s a screenshot of the properties. I am leaving for the weekend now but I will be back on Monday. Thank you for your help.

Sherry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2012 Dec 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you have emailed your reply. Screenshots can only be add via the web interface.

In the single source layout pod you need to double click the webhelp layout you are using. Then will see various options on the left, one of which is General. On the right you will then see a field marked Output Folder and Start Page. I need to verify that is the path you have quoted above.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2012 Dec 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, sorry about the image, here it is again. 

RoboHelp Error 2.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I believe I have fixed the problem.  Because I was getting the error (see Post #7, Encountered an Improper Argument) when I tried to access Web Help properties on this project, but not on projects I have completed before, and I have already uninstalled and re-installed RoboHelp 9, I decided the problem must lie with a corruption in this project's files.  So I created a new blank project and imported the HTML files into it.  I also copied the HHK and HHC contents from the original project into the new project,  and deleted the CPD file from the new project.  Then I set the start page as Action_Basics.htm, and saved and generated the output (without getting that error mentioned above- good sign).  Then I copied the files into the server folder and when I accessed the Help files from our running application, everything looks good.  I'm glad. 

Thank you for all your help and support, Peter.

Sherry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad you have sorted it out.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp